Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 What accually killed Duchesse de Polignac? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post What accually killed Duchesse de Polignac?
i've always wondered

Fri May 16, 2008 1:32 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: What accually killed Duchesse de Polignac?
I believe it was cancer that was the cause of her death. Here is an article of her life that mentions her death in there that is where I found it. Although I am not sure what sort of cancer she died of.

http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2006/1 ... cs-of.html

Please enjoy!

Fri May 16, 2008 1:52 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i heard somewhere that her relitives tried to cover it up by saying she died of grief
nice idea but probably unlikely

thank you very much!

Fri May 16, 2008 1:55 am
Royalty
Royalty

I can't imagine it would help her because when under stress the immune system weakens dramatically. Yes, I believe it didn't kill her though.

Fri May 16, 2008 2:44 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Duchess de Polignac always had a poor health, she was extremely fragile. She sometimes would need to go to the baths and to rest. Actually, the way of life she chose was the best she needed, but the queen befriended her and wanted her at court.

So, Gabrielle had to leave her country and to drawn into Versailles intrigues world... It was too much pressure for her, especially when she was made Governess of the Children of France, a charge that forced her to many representations.

She did not want to leave the king and queen after the fall of the Bastille, but she had to. She never recovered from this sorrow. She kept on writing to Louis and Antoinette and worrying about them and the children she deeply loved.

She probably got a cancer, or at least a disease of genitals, for Vaudreuil wrote that "her period came too early", that means her menopausis. She certainely died from illness and sorrow. One gets more receptive to illnesses when in pain.

Fri May 16, 2008 8:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

thats really sad
but thank you :D

Fri May 16, 2008 11:06 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed, it is. Madame de Polignac isn't as portrayed in Sofia Coppola's movie.

She died in Vienna... isn't it moving ? Where Marie Antoinette was born. She was terribly upset by all the misfortunes of the royal family, especially the death of the king. When Marie Antoinette was executed, Madame de Polignac was ill already, and her friends did not dare to tell her the truth, they told her that Marie Antoinette died from a natural cause in prison. "Now I can go away", she said, and she died a few weeks later. Vaudreuil said she passed away like an angel, as sweet as she had always been.

They buried her in Vienna, but I don't know where. They wrote "died from sorrow" on her grave.

Fri May 16, 2008 1:15 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes it is. The poor woman. I wish they didn't lie to her though. :(

Fri May 16, 2008 2:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sad indeed, I’ve always thought that there was some meaning in the fact that they had both died in the same year. I thought that Madam de Polignac was not a good person but I didn’t know about her terrible suffering :cry: . Now I appreciate her more, knowing how devoted she truly was.

Fri May 16, 2008 5:19 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

nobody really gives her credit for her true devotion :cry:

Sat May 17, 2008 5:17 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes versailles I feel that way too. I just don't understand. How they accuse Marie Antoinette and Polignac of atrocities? I know I am devoted to my best friends.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is quite simple, jealousy ! Rich courtiers were jealous when they saw the rapid ascension of the Polignac family. They did not realize that it was difficult for them to befriend the king and queen and that they needed money to entertain such a prestigious friendship.

Later, the revolution would only have to sing on this same song : they accused Madame de Polignac for having dilapidated the money of the people and so on and so on...

Unfortunately, some historians still do the same : trying to rehabilitate Marie Antoinette, they accuse someone else, and they fall upon Madame de Polignac. See Jean Chalon, for instance. He considers Madame de Polignac was Marie Antoinette's bad genius... Come on ! Did he ever read a single letter the queen wrote ?

Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:02 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

People have prejudices towards Duchesse de Polignac because she gained a lot by being the queen’s friend. Of course she took advantage of her position but that was naturally to expect. However the story about her death is really moving and it shows that her friendship was real. I would like to have that devoted friend.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Actually, duchess de Polignac took no advantages of her position. It causes difficulties to her, on the contrary. She was clear about this since the beginning : she did not want to stay at court, she was only happy in her house in the country. But Marie Antoinette kept on insisting, and Madame de Polignac finally remained to please her.

She was of old nobility, but poor, so that opening a salon and receiving the queen of France was impossible for her. However, Marie Antoinette wanted this. So, the king had to give a charge to Monsieur de Polignac so that the whole family was rich enough to befriend the royals.

Then, it is true that some of the Polignac family and friends used Madame de Polignac to obtain favours, and that she could not help but ask for them... and that Marie Antoinette could not help but accept.

However, Madame de Polignac took no personal advantages of her friendship with the queen. On the contrary, she was a very discreet and quite indolent person, who had rather remain in peace with her children. Her position as governess got her in great trouble, for it was a constant representation, quite the opposite of her temper. She was often ill and needed sometimes to retire for a while... but then again... Marie Antoinette could not stand the separation and Louis XVI had to sent for Madame de Polignac back.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:50 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Pimprenelle wrote:
It is quite simple, jealousy ! Rich courtiers were jealous when they saw the rapid ascension of the Polignac family. They did not realize that it was difficult for them to befriend the king and queen and that they needed money to entertain such a prestigious friendship.

Later, the revolution would only have to sing on this same song : they accused Madame de Polignac for having dilapidated the money of the people and so on and so on...

Unfortunately, some historians still do the same : trying to rehabilitate Marie Antoinette, they accuse someone else, and they fall upon Madame de Polignac. See Jean Chalon, for instance. He considers Madame de Polignac was Marie Antoinette's bad genius... Come on ! Did he ever read a single letter the queen wrote ?

sadly i think she was a bit greedy, but only for her familys sake

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next