Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Louis and his children 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Louis and his children
If we talked about their children, always wrote how much the Queen loved them and cared them. But what about Louis as a father? (Maybe you'd been talking about it but I missed it or just can't find it. :P )
I think he could be a very good father who cared a lot his children but stories not mentioned it except that he teached Louis Charles at the Temple. And of course this little anecdote when the Queen made him know that she was pregnant.
The fact that he was a bit slow and puzzled maybe means he was so mindful to them! I really don't know much about the relation between him and and his children before the revolution!

Fri May 02, 2008 2:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Louis and his children
I think he was a very dedicate father...I remember Marie Therese loved him very much, for example. There was an anecdote about it in Antonia Fraser's biography, but now I can't remember it...

Fri May 02, 2008 8:35 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I have to say that I haven't read it yet because in my country it hasn't published but I tough I must buy it from abroad. I think he proved his loving-kindness on the route to Varennes, didn't he?

Last edited by Anouk on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 03, 2008 6:05 am
Noble
Noble

i'm not really clear about the relationship between Louis and his children.. i always thought that he dearly cared for them,,

Sat May 17, 2008 3:07 am
Royalty
Royalty

He must have been cared of them! He was a good father although people know rather about care between mother and children.

Sat May 17, 2008 8:14 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I think he loved them very much but he was very busy with affairs of the country but he did love them.

Sun May 25, 2008 6:02 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Marie Antoinette was pregnant at the Temple? :shock: . This is news to me if that is the case. I agree with Marquis I believe he was too busy but loved his children dearly.

Sun May 25, 2008 9:08 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
Marie Antoinette was pregnant at the Temple?

Oh no you misunderstood me :D I'm sorry!!!!! I try to correct what I had written:

Anouk wrote:
I think he could be a very good father who cared a lot his children but stories not mentioned it except that he teached Louis Charles at the Temple. And of course this little anecdote when the Queen made him know that she was pregnant.

I know only two story about Louis' relation to his children. It's two different story, just I mentioned them in wrong chronology. I refine it now:
1. When MA got pregnant with Marie Therese Charlotte, she said to her housband (sorry I can't translate it exactly) "one of your dependant was enough brave to hit my stomach"
2. Louis teached his son in the Temple during their captivity

I'm sorry Hellou I didn't want to confuse you!! You can be sure she was no pregnant in the Temple (leastwise I don't know about it)

Mon May 26, 2008 11:30 am
Royalty
Royalty

Ah I see. Thank you for the clarification!

Mon May 26, 2008 11:37 am
Royalty
Royalty

It's all right! (I think my English should be better) :lol:

Mon May 26, 2008 11:41 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Louis XVI got on very well with his daughter Marie-Thérèse, Marie-Antoinette on the contrary had trouble dealing with her (it must be Madame Campan that makes out he slightly preferred Marie-Thérèse to his sons). He was an excellent father, especially in the Temple were he managed to organise an actual family life, in spite of the situation they all were in. At this time, he particularly took care of Louis Charles, attending to his education and playing with him.

Tue May 27, 2008 7:12 am
Royalty
Royalty

Thanx for info! They would have lived a quite happy family life in the Temple till the revolution blow over... but history changed everything, it wanted blood. Poor Louis! I'm so sorry about them!

Tue May 27, 2008 7:38 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Anouk wrote:
Hellou_Librorum wrote:
1. When MA got pregnant with Marie Therese Charlotte, she said to her housband (sorry I can't translate it exactly) "one of your dependant was enough brave to hit my stomach"

So is it true? Because it was in the Rose of Versailles and I had never understood if it was true or not :wink:

Thu May 29, 2008 9:28 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I did not watched Rose of Versailles, but it must be true: I read it two different books (Zweig's and Catharina's)
It shed light on Marie Antoinette's humor! I like it!

Fri May 30, 2008 8:44 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, it's very funny :lol:
Somehow, that sentence had remained in my mind (from the anime) since I was a child

Fri May 30, 2008 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next