Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Portrait of MA with teeth showing? 
Post Portrait of MA with teeth showing?
I am a brand new Marie enthuisiast, from the United States. It started with watching the Kristen Dunst movie, and has now developed into an obsession! I have been reading alot on the web, and watched a couple movies besides that one. I am wondering, could anybody tell me if there is a picture of her showing her teeth as there seems to be alot of reference to them. I would greatly appreciate it..this is a great site..I have spent hours reading the posts...

Teach me, I want to learn all about her!

THANKS!

Wed May 21, 2008 1:20 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Portrait of MA with teeth showing?
Non, dear, there is no portrait of Marie Antoinette with teeth sowing. But there are of Madame de Polignac.

Wed May 21, 2008 7:31 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I’m not sure why, but we can rarely see any person on the 18th century portrait showing teeth. Even when they are smiling that is more like Mona Lisa’s smile.

Wed May 21, 2008 4:17 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Maybe it was no seemly showing teeth.

Wed May 21, 2008 6:22 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, in the case of MA I think it was considered improper for the majesty of a queen to be portraited smiling (I mean, an actual smile with her mouth open),

Anyway...welcome, Ally Cat! :)

Wed May 21, 2008 8:06 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes welcome to this forum, AllyCat22! We're glad you join us.

Wed May 21, 2008 8:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

heyy,welcome
i dont think they showed teet because a) no toothbruses etc. so everyone had orrible teeth and b) i believe MA had extremely bad teeth

Wed May 21, 2008 8:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

versailles wrote:
i dont think they showed teet because a) no toothbruses etc. so everyone had orrible teeth and b) i believe MA had extremely bad teeth

No, first they had a ways of cleaning their teeth – not as we today - and certainly not everybody had had bad teeth. Marie Antoinette had problems with her teeth when she was young, not married yet, but as I know there were no any comments on her bad teeth in her later life. For example we know that Josephine Bonaparte had had bad teeth and that’s why she had been avoiding laughing, I’ve read how she used to put fan in front of her face while smiling. For me the most convincing reason is that that was considered inappropriate for modest, decent women or the smile like this - :mrgreen: didn’t fit with the composition of the painting. Portraits were mostly formal or they showed some ideal divine situation and beautiful women often had that so called Mona Lisa smile, spiritual not vulgar. That represented true beauty and grace (see Botticelli’s birth of Venus).
Even now most of the people make some serious expression while posing for picture, beside celebrities.

Thu May 22, 2008 12:29 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Under Louis XIV's reign, women avoided to display their teeth simply because they were in very bad state (if they still had any) due to a terrible lack of hygiene. That's said, in the XVIII people fortunately grew cleaner (it's all relative) and particularly brushed their teeth. Marie Antoinette, as a dauphine, shrank from brushing her teeth but it was more a childish tantrum than a lack of hygiene. We all know that she was very clean, at least for her time. Then, I think that indeed,the rules of court portrait were very strict, especially for a queen.

Thu May 22, 2008 8:03 am
Noble
Noble

Of course they did not have great brushes, but by XVIIIth century people used to clean up her teeth regularly, at least among certain soccial classes. MA had trouble with her teeth but because they were uneven, and nothing is mentioned about her having bad teeth. On the contrary, some comments made by people who met her mentioned she had nice teeth, as something to be noticed on as other women didn't

Fri May 23, 2008 2:07 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

back then the only way you could really clean your teeth was by using baking soda

Fri May 30, 2008 3:09 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Bonjour.

I thought that she had some form of braces put on her teeth while still living in Austria.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:00 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Hello Marie Alice. I think they were about to do a procedure, I can't remember specifically, however they decided against it.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:02 pm
HELLO ALL.. I AM A FELLOW FANATIC OF M.A... I MUST SAY , I HAVE BEEN INTERESTED IN THE 18TH AND M.A AND FRENCH REVOLUTION SINCE CHILDHOOD.. I WAS NOT IMPRESSED WITH SOPHIA COPPOLLA`S MOVIE AS COLOURFUL AS IT WAS... THE 1930`S MORIA SHEARER AND TYRONE POWER FILM, NOW THAT WAS LOVELY... I COLLECT FIGURES OF 18TH C LADIES AND DANDY`S...THEY SEEM TO TAKE OVER THE HOUSE...
I LOOK FORWARD TO BEING ON HERE AND LEARNING FROM YOU ALL.. VIVA MARIE ANTOINETTE.. :queen:
Attachment:
File comment: ONE OF MY LADIES...
478d_1.jpg
478d_1.jpg [ 25.39 KiB | Viewed 6176 times ]

Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:52 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome Madame Pompador!

Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next