Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 The dress of Marie Antoinette 
Royalty
Royalty

Post The dress of Marie Antoinette
I stumbled on what a dress that was supposedly owned by Marie Antoinette on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lilidebret ... otostream/

What you think?

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:41 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: The dress of Marie Antoinette
Hmmm, hard to tell. But not too many of her dresses survived the Revolution. This one looks a little costume-y. I'm sure one of us might be able to shed some light on the situation... :blob8:

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:30 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that the dress is pretty but on this photo it doesn’t look very attractive. :|

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i dont think so, the bows on the chest were a fashion from Louis XV reign (and a favorite of Pompador) anyway i think marie had WAY better fashion sence, and i dont think she liked dresses with patterns, didnt she prefer pastel colors?

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:22 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I think she preferred pastel colors. Maybe it was when she first came to France and she was then cultivating her sense of style. Just an assumption. You never know.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:21 pm
Royalty
Royalty

She didn't like big, showy patterns - the bows are also la Pompadour as well. But I think she liked small, understated patterns such as fruit or lacy design.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:56 am
Royalty
Royalty

I think she preferred smaller or flowery patterns when she was younger... no, no, I correct: maybe she loved patterns all her life, but mode changed, and because of this, she orientated to the fashion of the court.
Or meantime her taste became a bit... rustic... no? :cat:

Last edited by Anouk on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, I like the dress, but I don't know very much about clothes at that time...The only thing I could say is that probably MA had so many dresses that some of them might not have been exactly representative of her taste. But it's just a guess!

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:34 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I concur Rosalie.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Rosalie wrote:
Well, I like the dress, but I don't know very much about clothes at that time...The only thing I could say is that probably MA had so many dresses that some of them might not have been exactly representative of her taste. But it's just a guess!

And I find it a good guess! :angel3:

Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:25 pm
Noble
Noble

The style of this dress dates to an earlier period of the eighteenth century. Marie Antoinette was a fashion leader so it would have been highly unlikely that she wore something as outdated in her time.

Even the earliest portraits of Marie Antoinette show that the frills on sleeves (engageants) and decorations on stomachers had shrunk and the skirts changed from a bell to a flat fronted shape.

There is only one surviving dress reputed to have belonged to Marie Antoinette (in the Helen Larson Historic Fashion Collection which was acquired by the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, Los Angeles, California).

I met Helen Larson when the collection toured Australia and she admitted that there was no way to prove beyond doubt that the dress belonged to Marie Antoinette but that stories passed on from the family who brought it to America suggested it was genuine. I guess we'll never know for sure.

Here's a link to the FIDM site:
http://blog.fidmmuseum.org/museum/2010/ ... useum.html

NB When the dress was exhibited in Australia, it had a matching bodice. I don't know why the skirt and train are pictured with a different bodice on the FIDM website.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:22 am
Noble
Noble

Having had another look at the photo, I totally agree with Delicate Fleur's comment, "This one looks a little costume-y." My guess is it was a gown made for an eighteenth century themed costume ball or film/theatre based on the styles worn by Madame de Pompadour.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:29 am
Peasant
Peasant

The dress is from the 1938 film starring Norma Shearer! It appeared for just a moment in a scene where Marie Antoinette is attending to her son's bedside.

It recently appeared in the Hollywood Costume exhibition at the V&A Museum... I would post a picture but I can't post them yet because the account is new. Whoops! :oops:

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:55 am
Peasant
Peasant

For some reason we here in Toronto Canada have a genuine MA dress- there is a youtube vid of it.... It looks sumptuous and in a gold(oxidized white likely) Duchess satin...rather heavy. There is a fireworks motif throughout and is highlighting a 7 ft train more than anything else.
The curator suggests that has been cut down to suit an 1820/30 style- on seeing it, you too will note it looks decidedly Regency or Victorian and ENGLISH (shudder)
Its too bad the dress has been altered... I evokes nothing of MA or france
I remember the tag or maker was MA's dress mistress, therefore the legend....

I wonder if you do watch this clip what your impressions are...?

Mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeXzldmUIMY

Wed May 08, 2013 1:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]