Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Napoleon Bonaparte 

What do you think of Napoleon?
He was a tyrant 52%  52%  [ 14 ]
He was an insignificant ruler 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I don't like him very much because the napoleonic wars, but he was OK 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
He was a liberal and a good ruler 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 27

Napoleon Bonaparte 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Napoleon Bonaparte
To tell you the truth, I rather dislike Napoleon. Such a arrogant man... I hate Josephine, to me she is no more than an adulterous wife! I like Marie Louise, however. Who am I to say I hate the Josephine? Perhaps she was charming? But from what I heard, she's a floozy. :roll: :mrgreen:

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:36 pm
Royalty
Royalty

She was quite intelligent actually, and you must feel sorry for her for having to divorce Bonaparte for not bearing a son.... Somewhat similar to MA's situation early on in her life, no?

Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:40 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Speaking of Josephine, I read Sandra Gulland's trilogy on her and enjoyed it. What a story! Here's the author's website: http://www.sandragulland.com I learned a lot (what's true and what's myth) from it.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:14 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I recently read (and I'm not sure what sources they cite) that Napoleon said of the military situation, had he been in charge, Louis XVI would still be sitting on his throne. 'The corrupt system of handing out commissions as political treats had left an army with timid and incompetent officers, so unfamiliar with their soldiers that they had no idea whether they would obey an order.'

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:53 am
Royalty
Royalty

I think Napolean Bonaparte makes Genghis Khan look nice. I almost want to compare Napoleon with Henry the Eighth, because both of them abandonded their wives for one who would produce a an heir. Henry the eighth is an exception since he went through six wives versus Napoleon went through one wife. Poor Josephine!

Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:58 am
Royalty
Royalty

Monsieur Andre wrote:
She was quite intelligent actually, and you must feel sorry for her for having to divorce Bonaparte for not bearing a son.... Somewhat similar to MA's situation early on in her life, no?

Yes I do pity her. I do quite like her. I just can't understand how Josephine could have so much integrity and courage and love Napoleon! Personally, I think he was extremely insecure to say the least, not to mention I think he was a coward.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:00 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quite opposite I was always interested in Napoleon. He is one great name in history and I think he was very intelligent and successful in his military career, later very interesting ruler.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:15 pm
I'm a Napoleon worshipper :D For me, he's the greatest historical person or one of the greatest. I never saw him as a tyrant. He was unbelievably intelligent, powerful, fascinating personality. I've read so many books about him! He wasn't a tyrant, he was made of flesh and blood, a man with his feelings and emotions. I own a book by Max Gallo about his childhood, his school years and early military career. And God, I love him! Maybe it's because I find his character very similar to mine. I've read he didn't have many friends, he was rather alone, very unsociable. He loved history and Enlightenment. He was a great dreamer. The letters who used to write are an entrance to his soul and above all show that he wasn't a tyrant.
I truly believe that the Congress of Vienna 1814/15 made a tyrant of Napoleon. Indeed, he was too ambitious and led too many wars, but people always forget he saved the Revolution, he carried it over the Europe. And the reforms he made in all the countries he conquered! Nothing was the same after him.
And Josephine... I don't like her. She was a liar, a cheater and profligate. The only good woman Napoleon had was Maria Walewska. I wish she was his wife. He would be so much happier.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Napoleon was many things but definitely not a coward!

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:30 pm
Royalty
Royalty

If he wasn't a coward I think he was extremely insecure.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I would call him obsessive....but brilliant, no doubt about that, and a workaholic, as well as a natural leader

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Delilah wrote:
And Josephine... I don't like her. She was a liar, a cheater and profligate. The only good woman Napoleon had was Maria Walewska. I wish she was his wife. He would be so much happier.

Despite their difficult relationship, Napoleon loved Josephine. He was talking about her prior to his death.
You may want to read Sandra Gulland's Josephine B trilogy. I got a different of view about Josephine after reading the trilogy. Here's Sandra's website: http://www.sandragulland.com She has articles about Josephine as well as how she researched.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:45 pm
Thanks! As I said, I have my own view on her. Nothing managed to change it. But I'll read it indeed.
I know he loved her. Some think she was the only woman he truly loved. I think that might be true, but still, with all the respect I have for Napoleon, I don't like her.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
If he wasn't a coward I think he was extremely insecure.

a slight bit bi-poler?
but insecure deff

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Delilah wrote:
I'm a Napoleon worshipper :D For me, he's the greatest historical person or one of the greatest. I never saw him as a tyrant. He was unbelievably intelligent, powerful, fascinating personality. I've read so many books about him! He wasn't a tyrant, he was made of flesh and blood, a man with his feelings and emotions. I own a book by Max Gallo about his childhood, his school years and early military career. And God, I love him! Maybe it's because I find his character very similar to mine. I've read he didn't have many friends, he was rather alone, very unsociable. He loved history and Enlightenment. He was a great dreamer. The letters who used to write are an entrance to his soul and above all show that he wasn't a tyrant.
I truly believe that the Congress of Vienna 1814/15 made a tyrant of Napoleon. Indeed, he was too ambitious and led too many wars, but people always forget he saved the Revolution, he carried it over the Europe. And the reforms he made in all the countries he conquered! Nothing was the same after him.

I like your view.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next