Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Lamballe and Polignac 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Lamballe and Polignac
I believe her full name was Yolande Martine Gabrielle de Polastron, Duchesse de Polignac.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is quite difficult to know for sure how Madame de Polignac was called by her friends. Yolande ? Gabrielle ? Writers and biographists use both names.

Why not Martine, after all ? :wink:

I just noticed that French authors seem to prefer "Yolande" and those that I have read in English "Gabrielle". Why ? It is a complete mystery for me... :lol:

"Gabriel" was also among Madame de Polignac's father's names and was also given to her daughter (the dear Guichette of Marie Antoinette ! :D ).

Thus, "Gabriel" was an important name for the Polastron family... Maybe they were under the protection of this arcangel... ?

Anyway, our question remains the same : this does not mean that Madame de Polignac was called "Gabrielle" by our dear queen.

Maybe she was called "Jules" as Antoinette actually was called "Antoine" by her Viennese family. Louis XVI wrote in his brief diary that he visited the home of "countess Jules", according to this habit the whole court had to refer so to Madame de Polignac.

So, my dear friends... questions, questions... and no positive answer ! :cry:

Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:41 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Yes, I think Martine would have been very fitting! I'm writing it down as a possible name for my offspring. :mrgreen:

Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:10 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Pimprenelle wrote:
Maybe she was called "Jules" as Antoinette actually was called "Antoine" by her Viennese family. Louis XVI wrote in his brief diary that he visited the home of "countess Jules", according to this habit the whole court had to refer so to Madame de Polignac.

That is very interesting actually.

It is very pitiful that we don't know what they all really called each other though. A secret we will never know...

Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:37 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes,it's interesting...and thank you, Pimprenelle, for clearing my doubt :D

Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:57 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Well Louis-Antoinette to answer your question, even though my reply is rather a few years late, is that Princesse de Lamballe never really met Her Majesty formally, they only knew each others faces really, as we do you know what I mean.

Well they say that after Lamballe's husband's death, Antoinette felt sorry for Lamballe, and she invited her to one of her many sleighing festivals or parties, they where very exciting no?

Well, comme ca, Lamballe and Antoinette became inseperable, and the best of friends.
:angel8:

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Chère Thérèse, can I most humbly and cordially suggest that you add the word "bien" to your title, between the words "la" and aimée"? :) That way your name becomes i) pronouncable ii) you become the much loved.

Le Baron

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

shelby.marie wrote:
Yes, I think Martine would have been very fitting! I'm writing it down as a possible name for my offspring. :mrgreen:

i have a friend this is her name Christaina Marie-Antoinette ********** (security)

but isnt that amazing

and i dont lie

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:16 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

baron de batz wrote:
Chère Thérèse, can I most humbly and cordially suggest that you add the word "bien" to your title, between the words "la" and aimée"? :) That way your name becomes i) pronouncable ii) you become the much loved.

Le Baron

Well Monsieur Le Baron!

I tried to originally, *smiles* But it did not work out as hoped, let's just say *laughs*

It would not fit in the line, and I wanted it to, but it just didn't, it was so stressfull! I wanted it to fit. :( And now I want a pony, oh well.
By the way does anyone know what the Duchesse de Polignac, do after she heard of Lamballe's death?\

Well I think they where friends! laughs* I hope they where friend at least, I must say. *smiles*
:angel5:

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:45 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

By the way thank you! *laughs* nearly forogt my manners! Pish posh and poppy cosh!

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:46 am
Royalty
Royalty

Indeed.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The Duchess of Polignac had already left for Vienna. She left after the storming of the Bastille. We therefore do not know her reaction. However she was not that close to Lamballe, even though they no doubt spent time together in the company of the Queen. When Polignac came into favour, Lamballe rather fell out of favour. Try reading one or two biographies, you'll find the subject fascinating, and this will enhance your naturally playful wit.... :wink:

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:48 am
i've found this about Lamballe...

On August 19, she was transferred to La Force with the royal family after the failed attempt to flee France. She was separated from the royals and that's when the mob brutally killed her. Jo Manning, author of My Lady Scandalous, describes her death thus: "The forty-two-year-old woman was taken forcibly from her cell, hit on the head with several blows of a hammer, decapitated, stripped naked, her heart torn out, and then disemboweled. There were also reports she'd been violated sexually and that her breasts had been hacked off. Her head was put on the end of a long stake--her innards and her naked body set on two other pikes--and she was paraded through the streets by a jovial mob high on bloodlust. The head of the princess was thrust through the bars of the windows at th Temple, the prison where the King and Queen were being held; The Queen swooned at the awful sight, fainting dead away. (Manning, My Lady Scandalous, Simon and Schuster, New York, New York, 2005, page 240)

this is terrible, poor woman...

Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am speechless. :shock:

Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:10 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

There's no doubt that Lamballe died the most horrific recorded death of the Revolution.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next