Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette
What made me disappointed about the movie was that the clothes were not historically correct. Was it really that hard to make them correct? I can´t withheld you members the picture below from Durán Textiles AB of the Swedish Royal family in 18th century clothes which are historically correct!!
Attachment:
q5.jpg
q5.jpg [ 112.21 KiB | Viewed 7251 times ]

/Thorleif Nilsson
PS. I have no association what so ever to this company! Due to copyrights I had to mentioned the name of the company. Sorry.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:52 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette
I have actually never seen the film in question...could someone tell me if it really is as bad as I imagine it to be? I have assumed (perhaps wrongly?) it's all American accents (no offence intended to Americans but if an actor of any nationality is playing the part of an Irishman or an Englishman e.g. they have the decency to put on an accent, so why not in a film based in France?) and totally villifies Marie Antoinette. :angry5:

Also, look how tarnished (and that's putting it mildly) King Richard III of England's reputation was until recently thanks to Shakespeare!!! It's only now people are realising he wasn't the ruthless, child-killing tyrant portrayed by Shakespeare. Shakespeare was writing to entertain and please the Tudors, who had their own agenda with regards to blackening Richard's name (in particular Henry VII who had wrongfully deposed him as King).

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Last edited by Princess2 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thorleif Nilsson wrote:
What made me disappointed about the movie was that the clothes were not historically correct.

What was different? :idea:

Princess2 wrote:
I have actually never seen the film in question...could someone tell me if it really is as bad as I imagine it to be?

We have discussed about it under so many topics but I still advice you to watch it and then make the conclusion. :wink:

Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Princess2 wrote:
(no offence intended to Americans but if an actor of any nationality is playing the part of an Irishman or an Englishman e.g. they have the decency to put on an accent, so why not in a film based in France?)

I agree, and yet, French accents to some people are harder understand than English accents. However, Kirsten Dunst's accent is American and very, well, boring... Think of how nice it would have been for the actress to have a mild German accent, mixed with a mild French one?

Princess2 wrote:

Also, look how tarnished (and that's putting it mildly) King Richard III of England's reputation was until recently thanks to Shakespeare!!!

I have a very dear friend who is very passionate about Richard III, as I am passionate about Marie Antoinette, and it frustrates her to see him portrayed as a hunch-backed murderer. I feel the same way about how Marie Antoinette is portrayed in this movie and in the media!

Thorleif Nilsson wrote:
What made me disappointed about the movie was that the clothes were not historically correct. Was it really that hard to make them correct?

Well, it's true that the clothing in the movie wasn't really correct. It was... er... "loud" and too, you know, obnoxious. Where were the lovely pastel greens and soft creams that Marie Antoinette liked? All magenta!

Last edited by Madame Vigée-Le Brun on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:47 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Goodness, the Swedish crown princesses wear so much fake tan...soo much for the nice, pale Scandanavian skin! I'd take Denmark's crown princess anyday (and they are not related to Bonaparte!) :lol:

Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:00 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Goodness, the Swedish crown princesses wear so much fake tan...

Very historically correct… :lol:

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ahem, the costumes in the movie WERE historically accurate, you cannot look at the swedish "royal" family (using that term loosely.) In swedish style gowns, and compare it to the style in France at the time.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Yes Comte does have a point. You cannot compare traditional or "ethnic" dress with modern outfits that are not native. Even though I'm sure some parts of traditional dress is modernized, usually the traditional dress has been around for (insert number) of centuries with a few things modernized.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:23 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i didnt see that many of those things women wore to puff out their court dresses....paniers?

sorry the word escapes me. i only saw like two! and quite a bit of the film took place before MA introduced that lighter dress.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:54 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I like the dress the Crown-Princess is wearing, I think the colors go nicely together.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I sound like such a swede hater, which isn't the truth. I'm related to the swedish Royal family through my father. :] thought I should clear that up...

The Paniers, were used, but they were small. The more pronounced and wider paniers were used during the wedding ceremony.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

versailles wrote:
i didnt see that many of those things women wore to puff out their court dresses....paniers?

They use those in Marie Antoinette 1938... I loved the dresses in that movie!

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:04 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Madame Vigée-Le Brun wrote:
versailles wrote:

And the hair!!! although SC did an ok job

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:13 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

versailles wrote:
Madame Vigée-Le Brun wrote:
versailles wrote:

And the hair!!! although SC did an ok job

The hair in Marie Antoinette 1938 is not accurate, but at least it wasn't messy and weird like the hair in Marie Antoinette 2006 .... :roll: :P

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:25 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I liked both stylings of hair.

Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next