Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 18th Century Fans 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: 18th Century Fans
I don't know. All I know is that they sent up sheep or a goat before they tried with humans. The French used the hot air balloon as means of attack for the Austrians.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:15 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
I don't know. All I know is that they sent up sheep or a goat before they tried with humans. The French used the hot air balloon as means of attack for the Austrians.

I think that's what the English nervously joked, that the French would attack across the Channel in their hot air balloons!
The Montgolfier brothers first flew the balloon with a sheep called Montauciel ('climb-to-the-sky'), a duck and a chicken. This was how Marie Antoinette and the courtiers first saw its flight. Pilatre de Rozier and his companion died from a fall from the height of 1500 feet after their balloon exploded.

Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:54 am
Royalty
Royalty

Oh my. :shock: That's a brutal way to go!

Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

but it was painless at least

Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:29 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Not particularly, he fell and broke his arm and leg, and was found near death in a pool of his own blood. Not very painless, I think! :cry:

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:04 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:shock: oh, ok then

Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:25 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Does anyone know how to make an 18th Century fan? I found a site, where they sell fans for very very cheap, like $1.50 a piece. They come in blue, white, and pink though it's plain. I was thinking about buying it and making a collage of pictures I collect of the 18th century online, perhaps even just cherubs. I want to throw a Marie Antoinette ball for my 30th birthday and give out those fans as invitations, and the guest have to decorate it according to that era. There will be a contest of who makes the most colorful, innovative, and historically correct (besides moi). Prizes will most likely be anything 18th century related like porcelain sets for example.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:10 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You have a great idea, very creative! I hope you will manage to pull it out! :angel8:

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:13 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge and beautiful pictures of 18th century fans. They are really fascinating. I wonder why people don't use them today as they are so practical. Perhaps because of air conditioning? Anyway, thanks again!

Sincerely,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:48 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post I found a site on making FANS
After a couple of months, I'm answering my own question. I'm sure everyone would find this helpful too. I found a website how to make 18th century fans yourself, it may not look entirely authentic, but it's close, it looks pretty easy, and also a fun project.
http://www.costumes.org/classes/254page ... S/fans.htm

Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2