Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 To all our French members 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post To all our French members
A couple of years ago I saw a part of a programme on Travel channel about not so well known tourist attractions in Paris. One was about a famous bakery in Paris that has been around since the revolution. I believe the bakery even was located at the same spot since the revolution. The narrator said that Frank Sinatra used to order bread from the bakery to be flown to US early in the morning for him to eat when he got out of bed. What is the name of this bakery and can you find an address? I would appreciate it!
/ Thorleif Nilsson

Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:10 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: To all our French members
It is quite known that the famous boulanger Lionel Poilâne made bread that Sinatra loved and that he had flown from Paris to wherever he was. Poilâne's bakery did not exist at the time of the Revolution though.

I do know of the French restaurant Le Grand Vefour though, it is from the time before the revolution (it is said to be the first restaurant or first French restaurant, if I'm not mistaken) and it's interior is from early nineteenth-century. It is located besides the garden of Palais Royale and it has two Michelin stars (it had three last year!), so it's nothing for the poor but it's nice just to watch it from outside the windows :wink: . Many famous people have dined there too; Napoleon, Sartre, Hugo etc.

Last edited by Hans Axel on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:56 pm
Royalty
Royalty

You mean Sartre? What do you think about him? I just love his dramas! Le putain respectueuse :angel1:

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:50 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Yes, I do mean Jean-Paul Sartre, must have slipped :wink: Going to edit it now. I don't know really what I think of him, he is not a personal favourite (not that I dislike him either).

Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Jean-Paul Sartre, In my library I have many books of him but I haven’t read any. :oops:
I learned something in school about his philosophy.

Please, Anouk, recommend me something from him! :angel8:

Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:47 pm
Royalty
Royalty

My fav is Le putain respecueuse, but I love all of his dramas. They're funny-true. I also like The childhood of a Leader, it is in "The Wall".

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Merci, I will try to find them.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:38 pm
Royalty
Royalty

You're welcome! :alien:

Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:35 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Hans Axel wrote:
It is quite known that the famous boulanger Lionel Poilâne made bread that Sinatra loved and that he had flown from Paris to wherever he was. Poilâne's bakery did not exist at the time of the Revolution though.

I do know of the French restaurant Le Grand Vefour though, it is from the time before the revolution (it is said to be the first restaurant or first French restaurant, if I'm not mistaken) and it's interior is from early nineteenth-century. It is located besides the garden of Palais Royale and it has two Michelin stars (it had three last year!), so it's nothing for the poor but it's nice just to watch it from outside the windows :wink: . Many famous people have dined there too; Napoleon, Sartre, Hugo etc.

Thanks Hans Axel!
/Thorleif Nilsson

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]