Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Marie Antoinette and the Rumors 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Marie Antoinette and the Rumors
It sadens me to think about the horrible rumors spread about the former Queen. How discusting the pamphlets about her were and the horrible "Let them eat cake" rumor was. The gay lies and the stories about Fersen are depressing.

Please voice your oppinion on the matter.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:06 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Marie Antoinette and the Rumors
Well, dear, I concur that these lies are awful! Poor woman, even after death people hate her... I cringe every time someone mentions that she said "Let Them Eat Cake!" She would be horrified.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:17 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Madame Vigée-Le Brun wrote:
Well, dear, I concur that these lies are awful! Poor woman, even after death people hate her... I cringe every time someone mentions that she said "Let Them Eat Cake!" She would be horrified.

esp the tour guide at Versailles!!!! i wanted to slap her silly!!!!

Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:06 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

A TOUR GUIDE AT VERSAILLES? She should know better! What an ignorant woman!

Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:40 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

right! *slaps the woman repeatedly!*

Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:55 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i honestly cant believe that most people, when they hear MA, they think of her death. its so tragic!

Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:19 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

It makes me cringe too, everytime I mention MA or anything about 18th century France, people always say...hey, isn't she the one who had her head chopped off or wasn't she the one who said "Let them eat cake". I always felt the urge to say to them... "let me kick your a** and shove it with cake". Of course I realize these ignorant baffoons don't know any better, so instead of getting upset, I educated them a little more about Marie Antoinette and how it wasn't her fault. And since I live in America, I also told them that the Royal family took a fall just for them to live in this country with freedom and liberty and that they should be thankful for that. You should have seen the look on their faces, their mouths just gaped open, it was absolutely priceless.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:39 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, a lovely point to make! Perhaps if they realized in their ignorance that one of the contributing factors towards the fall of the French monarchy and their executions was for American liberty (war debts) they would be quiet and respect our dear Queen! :roll:

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:51 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

exactly how i feel!

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:04 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Sillage de la Reine wrote:
It makes me cringe too, everytime I mention MA or anything about 18th century France, people always say...hey, isn't she the one who had her head chopped off or wasn't she the one who said "Let them eat cake". I always felt the urge to say to them... "let me kick your a** and shove it with cake". Of course I realize these ignorant baffoons don't know any better, so instead of getting upset, I educated them a little more about Marie Antoinette and how it wasn't her fault. And since I live in America, I also told them that the Royal family took a fall just for them to live in this country with freedom and liberty and that they should be thankful for that. You should have seen the look on their faces, their mouths just gaped open, it was absolutely priceless.

Good for you, I live in America too and I think that is the best come back I have ever heard.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:17 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

At some point I always seem to hear the question,"Why didn't she fight back?"
I think that along with the Let Them Eat Cake are the two that make me cringe. What courage it took for her not to! I think she knew that if she did it would only end up feeding the lies and she wasn't about to play their game.
Earlier this year I read Madame de Pompadour: Sex, Culture, and Power by Margaret Crosland and the people did the exact same thing to her. Only she fought back with vengeance. And things turned out the same for her in the end as it did for Antoinette. If anyone one ever wonders,"What if Marie Antoinette did fight back?" You can clearly see how it most likely would have happened in that book.
Personally, I am glad that she didn't fight it. To me, and surly others at the time (if only a few), saw the integrity in her actions.

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

ShaktiValkyrie wrote:
At some point I always seem to hear the question,"Why didn't she fight back?"
I think that along with the Let Them Eat Cake are the two that make me cringe. What courage it took for her not to! I think she knew that if she did it would only end up feeding the lies and she wasn't about to play their game.
Earlier this year I read Madame de Pompadour: Sex, Culture, and Power by Margaret Crosland and the people did the exact same thing to her. Only she fought back with vengeance. And things turned out the same for her in the end as it did for Antoinette. If anyone one ever wonders,"What if Marie Antoinette did fight back?" You can clearly see how it most likely would have happened in that book.
Personally, I am glad that she didn't fight it. To me, and surly others at the time (if only a few), saw the integrity in her actions.

thank you for your oppinion

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:59 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

You're welcome. :) I hope one day all the vicious rumors connected to her will die down. It would help if schools would teach what actually was, not the gossip, it would be a start!

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

as an eigth grader...i second that!

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Personally, learning about how MA really was and how the rumours changed her image completely helped me very much to realize two facts. First, how powerful propaganda can be. Second, how important it is that we never accept things (and especially judgements about people) only because "everyone says that". I've always been perticularly annoyed by that kind of attitude, but studying about MA made me understand even more what damage our superficiality can bring to other people. And yes, I think school could have a very important role in rehabilitating MA's reputation: it would be not only right on a historical point of view, but also edifying on a morale one, because it would teach pupils to look for the truth and not stop at the surface of facts.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next