Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The Allure of The Tragic 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: The Allure of The Tragic
Ray wrote:
I am not sure, but I think that I read that she and Louis donated a year's income to the families of those killed by the fireworks. Am I right or did they do that for some other people?
Ray

Yes, this is slightly true, they donated a month's income to the dependents of those killed, so typical of the benevolence of Louis and Antoinette. She also waived the "Queen's Belt" tax on her accession saying it was antiquated and unbeneficial to her people and she banned a particular game bird for the sport of the King as it destroyed the peasants' crops. Unfortunately when the second petition was sent for its ban, she realized her orders were not carried out and was upset and angry. Mme. Campan notes in her Memoirs, 'She was so happy at doing good and hated to miss any opportunity of doing so.'

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:15 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I remember reading about this in Queen of Fashion, but I don't recall the specifics. What was the Queen's Belt tax?

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:27 am
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, I was just looking it up too but I can't find it in the index. I'll have another look.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:28 am
Royalty
Royalty

I can't find it. I looked it up on the internet and found some information from an interview with Sena Jeter Naslund, the author of 'Abundance'. She claims, 'When she first came to France as a fourteen-year-old bride, she was entitled to revenue from a traditional tax called "the queen's belt." Saying that she did not want to add to the tax burden of the poor, she refused to let the tax be levied.' But how strange! Why would the queen's tax be levied on the Dauphine? Or perhaps because there had not been a queen since Maria Leszczyńska? :help:

Last edited by Délicate fleur on Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:36 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Could be she was just confused about when the tax would have started being levied?

(Also, I love your avatar. That's one of my favorite portraits for 1770s poufs.)

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:38 am
Royalty
Royalty

Perhaps. Yes, I do like it too, there are many wonderful portraits of ladies with fantastic poufs, but I do like the feel of this one, the Duchesse de Beaufort.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:40 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
I can't find it. I looked it up on the internet and found some information from an interview with Sena Jeter Naslund, the author of 'Abundance'. She claims, 'When she first came to France as a fourteen-year-old bride, she was entitled to revenue from a traditional tax called "the queen's belt." Saying that she did not want to add to the tax burden of the poor, she refused to let the tax be levied.' But how strange! Why would the queen's tax be levied on the Dauphine? Or perhaps because there had not been a queen since Maria Leszczyńska? :help:

There is some mention of this on the Vidal site:
http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... marie.html

Quote:
Marie-Antoinette's reputation for sweetness and mercy became even more entrenched in 1774, when as the new Queen she asked that the people be relieved of a tax called "The Queen's belt," customary at the beginning of each reign. "Belts are no longer worn," she said. It was only the onslaught of revolutionary propaganda that would eventually destroy her reputation.

The tax was customarily levied at the start of a new reign. The new Queen insisted that it be discarded.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:12 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, this is it! Thank you, dear Therese! Does EM Vidal mention the source of this anecdote?

Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Yes, this is it! Thank you, dear Therese! Does EM Vidal mention the source of this anecdote?

Yes, she mentions Vincent Cronin and I know that I have read about the "Queen's Belt" there as well.

I have also read about the droit de ceinture in Webster's Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette before the Revolution.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:02 am
Royalty
Royalty

Oh, I wish I could find a copy of this book! :oops:

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:06 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Oh, I wish I could find a copy of this book! :oops:

Webster's MA books are available from Amazon. Cronin is listed, too, but he is not always in stock.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:10 am
Royalty
Royalty

I think I will keep looking for an inter-library loan. I am not sure whether it is worth buying and shipping to Australia, but then, everyone speaks of it so highly here, especially you, dear! :wink:

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:12 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
I think I will keep looking for an inter-library loan. I am not sure whether it is worth buying and shipping to Australia, but then, everyone speaks of it so highly here, especially you, dear! :wink:

I got it through interlibrary loan. You can get anything.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:15 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thank you again Delicate Fleur for your insightful and thoroughly useful input. I thank you all...

Sincerely,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:31 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hi Ray, and welcome first, of all, as we haven't "met" yet.
I perfectly agree with you about the allure of the tragic, and I think I wrote about it in some other thread.
As one of my friends remarked, MA is similar to the charachter of a Greek tragedy: she found herself in a situation the she couldn't control, that she didn't choose, and, though well intentioned, she made mistakes that took her to a terrrible death.
Though maybe this is not enough to make us lve a charachter, I think it's a very strong appeal to make us interested and even "obsessed" by him/her. United ti the charme she definitely had and to the period she lived in (a period which interesting and crucial in itself), all this is a strong reason why so many people can'yt stop studying about her.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next