Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Catherine Hyde, Marquise de Gouvion Broglie Scolari 
Post Catherine [Hyams] Hyde, Marquise de Gouvion Broglie Scolari
Adding to this discussion about the true identity of Catherine Hyde. Our family has a hand-written memorandum entitled "Memorandum for my children," written by Henry M. Hyams, Lt. Governor of Louisiana, sometime between 1860 and 1864, when he held that office. Hyams writes that Catherine was his father's sister, and thus his aunt, the parents (Hyams' grandparents) being Samuel Hyams and Judith Isaacks:

"* * * Catherine, my father's sister, also born in Ireland, who received a finished education, as a linguist and musician at the Convent of Irelandaises in Paris. She was known as the beautiful little Kitty Hyams, afterwards as the pretty little Kittie "Hyde," having been adopted by Lord Hyde, and sent to this country to be educated and converted to Catholicism. In the after years she was attached to the unhappy household and fortunes of the unfortunate Princess De Lamballe and Marie Antoinette. She was the Maid of Honor to the Princess and she performed many secret missions for the royal house. She was especially the favorite of Marie Antoinette and was the confidante during all of her troubles. She was written the memories of the Princess Lamballe and also the secret memories and last moments of Marie Antoinette. She also wrote a work entitled, "Venice under the yoke of France and Austria." At the age of 86 years [this would be in about 1842, two years before her death] she visited the United States to visit her brother, Samuel M. Hyams, of New Orleans, Louisiana. He was the father of Lt. Gov. Henry M. Hyams and Samuel M. Hyams of this state. Her style of writing was forcible, and attracted the attention of all the European Governments of that time, caused her to be an exile and driven into Italy, where later on she died. Although residing in foreign lands nearly all of her life, she was exceedingly English in her views and politics; hating Napoleon above all things on earth; in all her writings she fully shows this hatred. She is known as the Marochiness de Solari."
------------------------------
NOTE: At least two books were written by Catherine Hyams a/k/a Catherine Hyde. The first was published under the name "Catherine Hyde, marquise de Govion Broglio Solari [Scolari?], (1755/6-1844)," and is entitled "Venice under the yoke of France and of Austria, with memoirs of the courts, governments, & people of Italy; presenting a faithful picture of her present condition, and including original anecdotes of the Buonaparte family. By a lady of rank." (London, G. and W. B. Whittaker, 1824).

The second book was published in 1901, sixty years after Catherine's death. It is entitled, "Secret Memoirs of Princess Lamballe, Being Her Journals, Letters, and Conversations During Her Confidential Relations with Marie Antoinette," edited and annotated by Catherine Hyde, Marquise de Gouvion Broglie Scolari, M. Walter Dunne, Publisher, 1901. The author has a copy of this book.
--------------------------------------
NOTE: Message posted on Genforum may explain the "Hyde" that adopted Catherine: The posting said: Moses [Catherine's father] was born in Damniz, Poland and married Judith Isaacks. Moses died 17 Aug 1796 London, England. His father was a servant for George Augustus Hyde (aka Hydrashy). Can any help? Please e-mail if you have any information. Deana Snow, Nahm@juno.com

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:44 pm
The full "Memorandum to My Children" can be read here:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.levy/287/mb.ashx[/url]

Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:04 pm
Try this link for the full "Memorandum to My Children":

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.levy/287/mb.ashx

Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:05 pm
Noble
Noble

Post Catherine Hyde/Hyams
I am indebted to Ms Memethven for the infomation re the Hyams family in Lousiana, especially the new tid-bit that Catherine Hyde came to America. Sounds like her--even at the advanced age!!! I am bewildered , however, as to the form of the memorandum found among your grandmother's papers: you say it was typed, but at the date of its writing (c. 1860) there were no typewriters. Did your grandmother transcribe it? C Hyde writes as if whe wants the world to think of her as related to the Hyde/Clarendon family, not a bad relationship as the first Duke of Clarendon was the father of Anne Hyde who married the Duke of York, later James II, as well as grandmother of Queens Mary and Anne... The Polish connection comes up in her memoir (copy in the Smith College Library) but she does not make any attempt to connect Hyde with a Polish name sounding somewhat similar. I will be obliged for any other infomration about C Hyde that comes up.

Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:16 pm
Reply to Jack Rogers of Dec. 11, 2007: To be more precise: In 2002, I found among my grandfather's papers a copy of a typed sheet with the information quoted. Obviously it must have been, as you suggested, typed years later from the handwritten version. My grandfather, William Peyton Cunningham, Sr., died in 1971. He was a lawyer in Natchitoches, Louisiana, but his true passion was family and local history and genealogy. He had compiled a great deal of research by the time of his death, and his papers are housed in a locked room at The Natchitoches Genealogical and Historical Association (NGHA) Library, located on the second floor of the Old Natchitoches Parish Courthouse on the corner of Church and Second Streets in Natchitoches, La.

I have no copy of the original memorandum, nor any way to prove the authenticity of the contents. However, there is a collection of papers of the purported author, Henry Michael Hyams, at Louisiana State University. The inventory can be viewed here:

http://www.lib.lsu.edu/special/findaid/1392.pdf

Note on page 8 of the PDF inventory:

"arrangements, congratulates on birth of daughter, 2 memoranda in which Henry M. Hyams discusses mortgage of property for debt of another, ca. 1870, and family history, ca. 1875."

I don't know if the copy of the memorandum which I found is one of the two memoranda desccribed above, but I did learn after finding it that a number of other family members have had copies of this document for years.

With respect to the Hyde-Hyams connection, apparently Catherine wrote about it herself, claiming in published letters to be the biological child of George Augustus Hyde and a Polish lady, but due to complicated circumstances, claims to have been raised by Moses Hyams and his wife - which corroborates at least the family connection described in the memorandum.

As may be recalled, Moses Hyams (ca. 1726 - 1796), was the grandfather of Henry Michael Hyams, the author of the memorandum.

Whether Catherine was the biological child of the Hydes or the Hyams may never be known. She claims in her letters to be a Hyde, adopted by Moses Hyams. The memorandum in my grandfather's papers says she was a Hyams who was adopted by Lord Hyde (why, is not explained).

Here you can read for yourself a synopsis (and critique) of Catherine's claims published in 1895 in The English Historical Review, Vol. 10, No. 39 (Jul., 1895), pp. 588-591 (you will need to cut and paste the entire link):

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0013-8266(189507)10%3A39%3C588%3ASMOTRF%3E2.0.CO%3B2-9

I hope this will serve to clarify the scope of the enduring mystery.

Mimi Methvin

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:05 am
Post Re: Catherine Hyde, Marquise de Gouvion Broglie Scolari
I have obtained information regarding the origin of the "Memorandum for my Children," written by Henry M. Hyams, Lt. Governor of Louisiana, which alleges that Catherine Hyde was his father's sister, born a Hyams and "adopted" by Lord Hyde.

In the book, "Judah P. Benjamin, Confederate Statesman" by Robert Douthat Meade (Oxford University Press, 1943), Meade writes that Benjamin's mother, Rebecca de Mendes, was the child of the Spanish Sephardic Jew, Solomon de Mendes, and the Dutch Jewess Eva Levy." [Eva Levy's sister, Miriam Levy, is my 4th great-grandmother, having married Samuel Myers Hyams, Sr.] The footnote to this statement, on p. 381, fn. 9 to Chapter 1, reads as follows:

"From original memorandum of Lieut. Governor Henry M. Hyams, Sr. of Louisiana, written in a family Bible about 1860. Copy thorough courtesy of Hyams's granddaughter, Mrs. Judith Hyams Douglas of New Orleans. In the memorandum, Hyams, a descendant of Eleazar Levy of Holland, a brother of Eva Levy (sic - he was her father), says that Eleazar 'was a man of good education and highly instructed in the Hebrew Language and Literature.' And as for Eva, she was said to have 'been of great beauty' and to have become 'the wife of a very opulent Spanish Jewish merchant [De Mendez] . . . This marriage between the Portugee and the Tedaesqua [from which issued the mother of Judah P. Benjamin] was the first of any note in Europe as . . . the educated rich and proud . . . De Mendez, exiled as he was, held in all the capitals of Europe, a social position high above the Native Jew and especially in Holland and Germany." Brackets in original footnote.

Sat May 17, 2008 10:56 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome to the forums Jack and Memethvin! :]

Sun May 18, 2008 5:17 am
Noble
Noble

Why are you welcoming Ms Methevin and me to the site when we have had longstanding substantive discussions? We last talked about C Hyde in December. I received a message this morning that there was more on this topic, but there is nothing new: just your welcome. Thank you but I wish there were something of substance as C Hyde is a fascinating topic. Jack Rogers

Wed May 21, 2008 1:06 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I was only trying to be polite Mr. Rogers

Wed May 21, 2008 4:08 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

This is all very useful information. Thank you all for contributing. Forgive my ignorance, but does this Catherine lady have anything to do with Madame Campan or are they two different persons?

Perplexed,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:53 am
Royalty
Royalty

I am quite sure they are different individuals. I am the wrong person to ask I'm afraid. :|

Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, they were two different persons. Mme Campan's name, before her marriage, was Jeanne Marie Henriette Genet.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Does Catherine Hyde have a good biography? She sounds fascinating!

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:01 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No, we are all looking for information about her.

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next