Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Queen wearing the Tricolour 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It was painted by Alfred W. Elmore, it was painted in 1860. In this link, ohappydagger, you can see the author of the portait. You chose, at the end of the page, "Metadata", and then "Show extended details". :wink:

Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:58 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

oh I remember seeing that portrait on the A&E Biography about Marie Antoinette! Thanks so posting it. (I never relised she was wearing the tricolour in it!)
The other woman is Madame Tourzel right?

Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:39 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

It was painted by Alfred W. Elmore, it was painted in 1860. In this link, ohappydagger, you can see the author of the portait. You chose, at the end of the page, "Metadata", and then "Show extended details". :wink:

Thanks! I must have missed that.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: The Queen wearing the Tricolour
How wonderful that painting is! Thank you for posting it and I find this whole topic intriguing as well, even though it has nothing to do with my book.

Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:28 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

As was pointed out earlier, that portrait is from the mid 19th century. During the 1860s and 1870s there was a huge revival in the popularity of the 18th century. You see it in painting subjects, in fashion, and in masquerade dress, particularly in the 1870s. So while I'm sure Marie Antoinette wore a tricolor at some point, that painting is not historical evidence.

As for wearing the tricolor... It was very fashionable! Cockades, ribbons, dresses striped with blue, white and red, all were extremely fashionable in the first few years of the Revolution. While I'm sure Marie Antoinette resented it, she was at least being fashionable by wearing the tricolor (and showing her "support" for the Revolution). I seem to recall reading in Queen of Fashion, however, that she ordered a number of dresses and accessories in green and purple (Green was the Comte d'Artois' color, I forget where the purple came from) and black and gold (which I believe were the Hapsburg colors?).

Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:35 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thank you Dreamoutloud for your helpful input. Thank you for sharing.

Gratefully,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:38 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

dreamoutloud wrote:
As was pointed out earlier, that portrait is from the mid 19th century. During the 1860s and 1870s there was a huge revival in the popularity of the 18th century. You see it in painting subjects, in fashion, and in masquerade dress, particularly in the 1870s. So while I'm sure Marie Antoinette wore a tricolor at some point, that painting is not historical evidence.

As for wearing the tricolor... It was very fashionable! Cockades, ribbons, dresses striped with blue, white and red, all were extremely fashionable in the first few years of the Revolution. While I'm sure Marie Antoinette resented it, she was at least being fashionable by wearing the tricolor (and showing her "support" for the Revolution). I seem to recall reading in Queen of Fashion, however, that she ordered a number of dresses and accessories in green and purple (Green was the Comte d'Artois' color, I forget where the purple came from) and black and gold (which I believe were the Hapsburg colors?).

Excellent observations!

Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i have never seen this picture before but it seems so sad. poor ma is standing with a frown and the royal children gripping her dress, it makes me want to cry for them! :cry:

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:14 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Come to think of it, what is that painting supposed to be? The only thing I can think of is the journée of June 20, but didn't the Queen and Mme Elisabeth and the children get out before the mob came in and it was only the King who faced it?

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

dreamoutloud wrote:
Come to think of it, what is that painting supposed to be? The only thing I can think of is the journée of June 20, but didn't the Queen and Mme Elisabeth and the children get out before the mob came in and it was only the King who faced it?

The picture depicts (quite accurately) the plight of the queen, her children, and the royal governess Madame de Tourzel during the attack on the Tuileries on June 20, 1792. While the King and Madame Elisabeth were facing the mob in one part of the palace, the queen and her children came out of hiding and tried to reach him. They got as far as the Salle du Conseil, where they were advised by their attendants to take refuge in the embrasure of a window, with only table between them and the mob. The Queen was subjected to horrible insults which she bravely endured. The incident was witnessed by dozens of people and is mentioned in most reputable biographies of Marie-Antoinette.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:23 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Alright. I assumed it was June 20, but I did not remember that the Queen also met with the mob as well. The famous image of that day is the King wearing the bonnet rouge, that's what was stuck in my mind.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

dreamoutloud wrote:
Alright. I assumed it was June 20, but I did not remember that the Queen also met with the mob as well.

She was indeed in hiding with the children. However, no one could keep her from trying to get to her husband's side. She insisted that her place was with Louis, in life and in death. Because the mob was running around all over the Tuileries, she encountered them before she could get to him.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2