Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Shared Database 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Shared Database
It is possible or legal for us to scan books and documents and have them on file like a music sharing program? It could be done so that no one could download or print the works, but we could read them online as part of a private database sharing program within this group? I personally would find this to be of immense value since I have not been able to locate certain source material such as Josef Weber's memoirs, for example. Could we do this?

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:05 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Shared Database
If the material has a current copyright, it's illegal. However, books written in the 18th and 19th Century are now in the public domain and can be copied freely. This would include most original sources.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:11 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thanks! By the way, Adrienne was kind enough to provide me with an online site that has Weber's memoirs. Now I only wish I knew his birthdate so that I could l state his real age in relation to Marie.
Thanks again!
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:44 am
Royalty
Royalty

Such a database would not be too difficult to put together. A lot of material is available for distribution through Project Gutenberg ( http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page ) and Google Books ( http://www.google.com/books ). It would require some kind of committment to the organisation and maintenance but definitely worth looking into.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:59 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thank you Adrienne. When I have a bit more time, perhaps I could help with this on a regular basis as I want to do my part and contribute to the site. Forgive me for being inundated with a million things right now, which I am sure is true of most of us. Thank you for your consideration and response.

Sincerely,
Ray

Edmund Burke, (1790)

Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]