Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 The Real Versailles 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: The Real Versailles
I last visited Versailles in 1997, so admittedly, it has been a while. However, the only thing I remember about the lateral wings are the vast art galleries. Oh, and the splendid Opera House, of course. The Versailles official website, www.chateauversailles.fr, states "The Lateral wings still house the museum founded by Louis-Philippe. To the north are the galleries devoted to the Crusades, the 17th and 19th centuries, while the south wing features the Revolution, Consulate, and Empire periods, and the Battle Gallery."
Versailles remains my favorite palace, and the most beautiful, but I beg to differ about its being the largest in the world: that honor must go to the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia (which in my opinion is an architectual nightmare). Versailles contains 700 rooms and 51,210 sq meters of space, where as the Winter Palace has 1,057 rooms and over 77,000 sq meters of space.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:04 am
Royalty
Royalty

I stand corrected.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:18 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Architectural nightmares, like the winter palace, don't count in my books christophe(:

Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:59 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Which way was the Winter Palace it an "architectural nightmare."

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:12 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
Which way was the Winter Palace it an "architectural nightmare."

Choppy, over and under done.
I prefer Catherine Palace, but even it has its flaws.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:29 am
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

I can finally say that I have, at last, visited Versailles, and oh, it is a sight to behold! I adored it completely, and would happily go again - the Queen's apartments took my breath away, as did the Dauphine's. Utterly gorgeous.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Huzzah! :wave:

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Do you have any pictures.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Hygeine in The Real Versailles
I, too would like to see some photos--I've never seen the Dauphine's apartments. I hope you can post them.

ADDENDUM to cleanliness at Versailles: Do read Versailles: A Biography of a Palace by Tony Spawforth.Researched with an index and a bibliography there's no doubt of the conditions of cleanliness which existed in the palace through the centuries. The biography (of a building!) covers an enormous span of acceptable privy and personal hygeine throughout the history of the palace's residential status. Possibly the lowest standard presented in the book was a female courtier who simply went as she walked--leaving someone else to clean up after her.This woman was received at court! Then odiforous placement of privies and the designations of those entitled to use them are spelled out as well as the moving of the few baths from room to room to accommodate those of status who wished to sit in them wearing a bathshirt (simple gown). Perhaps the only redeeming feature for the whole history of the palace is the bidet designed for Madame de Pompadour.

Anyway, I recommend this book to anyone interested in the palace and what actually took place behind the walls--there was quite a bit of remodelling, many apartment assignment changes--up and down in status to the relative pleasure and dismay of the palace population and the stresses of maintaining one's familys' status and proximity to the king. Fascinating read--a building bio--who'd a thunk it? :book:

Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:09 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: The Real Versailles/upper floor, hallway bin
Provence,
I've spent an hour scanning youtube and can't find the video of the upper rooms and the large 'bin' in the hallway. Hope someone else on this forum can find it and bring it to our attention so you can translate and tell us what in the heck the bin is for. :banghead: AND where we are.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:24 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

:banghead: ok--can anyone translate a youtube piece for me? its 'chateau de versailles', 1: 32 seconds, by bertrom. they're on the third floor, very deteriorated area, and i have to know what they're talking about: big hole, or bin in wall. HELP! I know there are French speaking folks here--i thought i sent a message to Provence and ha, ha, i sent it to myself. Duh.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I got back to you just now, I do believe it was on the very top floor, Winsan, As there were other places that needed, "flushing" Gravity worked in favor in the old days.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Comte, privately you suggested it might be a water pipe for a royal bath below; is it possible it was a privy dump (it's rather large). I know many courtiers complained of the proximity of the privies to their Versailles apartments. I imagine they must have been cleaned from the bottom or basement floor to avoid the chance of spilling a chamber pot while walking it quite a way to empty it. Ha, ha unless it was thrown out the window into a courtyard and landed on MA or a courtier. (sourced). :angry7:

Merci' por le response
Susanne

Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:18 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

winsan2 wrote:
Possibly the lowest standard presented in the book was a female courtier who simply went as she walked--leaving someone else to clean up after her.This woman was received at court! Then odiforous placement of privies and the designations of those entitled to use them are spelled out as well as the moving of the few baths from room to room to accommodate those of status who wished to sit in them wearing a bathshirt (simple gown). Perhaps the only redeeming feature for the whole history of the palace is the bidet designed for Madame de Pompadour.

Yuck - and we're lead to believe that Versailles was the pinnacle of sophistication etc. lol!!! Does anyone know if these hygiene standards (or lack of) were the same at other European Courts of that time?

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:56 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

They restoring Versailles again. I'm not sure if they're done yet but they were still working on it when I went in 2007.

On and St. Catherine's Palace is based off Versailles.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next