Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Anywhere But Here 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Anywhere But Here
Christophe wrote:
Délicate fleur wrote:
Like...Australia? :lol: Many of the convicts sent to Australia by England were not "malcontents", they were not political enemies of the Crown. Many women and children were sent merely for stealing an apple or a loaf of bread to feed their starving family. Of course, there were also hardened criminals sent too, but England had a big problem with their justice system if their jails were overflowing to the point where they needed to send the excess here!

Or like my own country: America. England also sent their convicts and poor here as well, giving them a new chance to make something of themselves, while at the same time reducing the number of hungry in England. The problem in both England and France at that time, indeed in all of Europe: there were more people than resources.

I find it ironic that, because of the Revolution, France has been historically criticized for neglecting/mistreating its poor, when in fact, the rest of Europe was much worse. The German states, Italian states, Spain, Austria, Russia---shocking numbers of poor routinely starved to death every winter. It was so common place that nobody thought much about it. Yet France, where starvation was not so routine (unless it was a particularly harsh winter), is held up as the bad apple of the 18th Century.[/quote]

I find that as no surprise, because France was the reigning empire of Europe, and I believe the whole world, during the 18th century...
It's almost like someone who comes from a religious background and have strong faith in it, but if they make the same mistakes as any other atheist, they are looked down upon. It's only because others see them as being merely perfect and a threat, and wish nothing but for them to fail so they feel bigger about themselves!

Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Anywhere But Here
I hate how the world attacks other places like that! Thhanks for that post! :D

Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3