Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Marie Antoinette dishonoured 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Marie Antoinette dishonoured
What I know is that she made mistakes in a letters, yes; they were more frequent in her first years in France, but they can be found also later. I think they're generally considered as consequences of her imperfect education. But I don't know which mistakes precisely...I'm sure Pimprenelle knows better :)

Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, dear, I missed this discussion. I am sorry... :oops: I was on holliday.

Indeed, this last letter is written by Marie Antoinette and could be writtent by Marie Antoinette only. First of all, she did not sign it up, as usually. She used to sign her correspondence to her family and friends bry drawing a simple line. Any forger would have patiently copied a beautiful "Marie Antoinette", which would have been the prove of his forgery !

Then, the style and concerns are those of our queen and mother in distress. She only thinks about her children, and their future. That is typical Marie Antoinette : she writes when having something to say, and goes to the essential. So, no description of her trial, no revolt about this awful incest accusation. All that matters is that her children survive.

About the mistakes she makes, many of them are usual, in those times. Orthographical rules were not as clear as they are now. But some mistakes are too typical to be forged : for instance, Marie Antoinette used to write "s'avoir" instead of "savoir" and "jdée" instead of "idée". She also often forgets the accents, that finally gives "jdee".

There are other mistakes that are extremely interesting, and could come from her German accent.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:06 am
Royalty
Royalty

Oh Pimprenelle - so wonderful to see you back here again! Hope you had a lovely holiday! Thank you for your very informed insights (as usual) - and how interesting about the mistakes that could've come from her German accent! :love:

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:06 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Pimprenelle wrote:

Indeed, this last letter is written by Marie Antoinette and could be writtent by Marie Antoinette only. First of all, she did not sign it up, as usually. She used to sign her correspondence to her family and friends bry drawing a simple line. Any forger would have patiently copied a beautiful "Marie Antoinette", which would have been the prove of his forgery !

Then, the style and concerns are those of our queen and mother in distress. She only thinks about her children, and their future. That is typical Marie Antoinette : she writes when having something to say, and goes to the essential. So, no description of her trial, no revolt about this awful incest accusation. All that matters is that her children survive.

About the mistakes she makes, many of them are usual, in those times. Orthographical rules were not as clear as they are now. But some mistakes are too typical to be forged : for instance, Marie Antoinette used to write "s'avoir" instead of "savoir" and "jdée" instead of "idée". She also often forgets the accents, that finally gives "jdee".

There are other mistakes that are extremely interesting, and could come from her German accent.

Good to see you back, Pim. Yes, indeed, even in English, there were not yet firm spellings for words in those days. People were quite free in their manner of spellings, even contradicting themselves in the spelling of certain words. This was not unique to Marie-Antoinette. Anyone who has studied many 18th century letters knows this to be true.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:29 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The famous French graphologist Paul de Sainte-Colombe analyzed Marie-Antoinette's last letter and it was authentic. Others have as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Grapho-Therapeuti ... 0965451402

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome back Pimprenelle! And thank you for your explanation: it's very interesting!
I didn't know about the charachteristics of MA'a handwriting, but what I can say is: what you said about her concern about her children is so true. It's very typical her! A forger would have probably added something about the political events or her trial and death, but it's very revealing that she thought about her family in the first place!

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:59 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Therese wrote:
The famous French graphologist Paul de Sainte-Colombe analyzed Marie-Antoinette's last letter and it was authentic. Others have as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Grapho-Therapeuti ... 0965451402

Thank you for this interesting link, dear Therese! It is a useful piece of information to have if someone disputes such a precious thing.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:15 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Good to see you back, Pim. Yes, indeed, even in English, there were not yet firm spellings for words in those days. People were quite free in their manner of spellings, even contradicting themselves in the spelling of certain words. This was not unique to Marie-Antoinette. Anyone who has studied many 18th century letters knows this to be true.[/quote]

Yes I know that the spelling's rules were uncertain in French. But it's interesting to know, just out of curiousity, what were the typical mistakes of MA ... I don't need that to deem the letter authentical (I judge it by its very content) but it's the kind of enthralling little details about the queen. Anyway, thank you Pimprenelle for your answer.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Pimprenelle wrote:

That is a mother's instinct for you!!!
What is the significance of signing with a line?
:help:

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6