Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Portrait of Lamballe just hours before her execution 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Portrait of Lamballe just hours before her execution
Here is a link to see the portrait of the Princesse de Lamballe by the artist R. Gabriel that was sketched in the courtyard of the place where she was being held just hours before her execution.

P.S. I tried to add this to the galleries using the e-mail thing, but it did not work for me. So, if you want to add this sketch to the galleries, then please access the link given, save the picture to your computer and then add it. I am not good with computers...:(

http://www.artnet.com/Artists/LotDetailPage.aspx?lot_id=E7AE1BD76E65F76F

Enjoy!
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:44 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Portrait of Lamballe just hours before her execution
Thank you! :D

Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:33 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Dear Versailles,

You are welcome. I am glad that you enjoyed viewing the sketch. :)

Sincerely,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:46 am
Royalty
Royalty

Thank you Ray. I find it rather frightening for some strange reason.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:50 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

It is rather frightening--somehow knowing that she'll very soon be beheaded and desecrated makes me feel a little sick.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:17 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I agree with Hellou

reine :angel6:

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:39 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

winsan2 wrote:
It is rather frightening--somehow knowing that she'll very soon be beheaded and desecrated makes me feel a little sick.

Yes, it is sad to see it knowing what happened to her.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:20 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't mean to be contentious, bu do we really know what exactly happened to Lamballe ? I have no doubt that her death was horrific, but it also seems that there are a certain number of myths surrounding her death ...

Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:00 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Murder

Portrait by artist George S. StuartOn August 19, she and the Marquise de Tourzel, governess to the royal children, were separated from the royal family and transferred to La Force prison. On September 3, she was brought before a hastily assembled tribunal, who demanded she swear an oath of perpetual hatred against the French monarchy. This she refused to do on principle and shortly thereafter was brutally murdered.
Some reports allege that she was raped and had her breasts cut off in addition to other bodily mutilations. Most reports agree that her head was cut off, stuck on a pike and then carried away to a nearby café where it was laid down in front of the customers, who were asked to drink in celebration of her death. There are other reports stating that the head was taken to a barber in order to dress the hair to make it instantly recognizable, though this has been contested. Following this, the head was replaced upon the pike and was paraded beneath Marie Antoinette’s prison window at the Temple. Those who were carrying it wished the Queen to kiss the lips of her favourite, as it was a frequent rumor that the two had been lovers. The head was not allowed to be brought into the building, but the Queen's guards did force her to look out the window at the sight, whereupon the Queen fainted almost immediately.
Five citizens of the local section in Paris delivered her body (minus her head which was then being displayed on a pike) to the authorities shortly after her death. Royalist accounts of the incident claimed her body was displayed on the street for a full day. Her heartbroken father-in-law finally succeeded in retrieving her corpse and had it interred in the Penthrièvre family crypt in the cathedral at Dreux. Marie Grosholtz, more famously known as Madame Tussaud, was ordered to make the death mask.

reine

Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Thanks for info, reine. I didn't know what happened to her dead body after she had been murdered :(
Andf thank you, Ray, for this amazing picture that is very very staggering.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You can still walk past the exact place where the Prison de la Force stood in the 4th district of Paris (Marais). The Queen did not actually see her friend's severed head, but fainted on hearing the news that the head was being paraded outside her window. Madame de Lamballe died very courageously. She preferred death to dishonour. Those people had some principles, unlike their murderers.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:26 pm
Peasant
Peasant

Hello, I am new to this board. Very glad I found it.

I tend to agree with Ludy that there must be a good portion of myths added to the story of death of the very unfortunate Lamballe - so many accounts exist about this event and each one has a bit different angle of morbid details. I have always felt a slight sense of doubt since the moment I read about it for the first time, and rather regarded many of what I read as myths that have become more and more morbid and accumulated with graphic details over the years.

So I was kind of relieved in a way to find this bog entry by Melanie Clegg, where she cites David Andress notes in his book The Terror, which in fact states that when the headless body was brought to the clerk responsible for documenting the death, there were no mutilations other than head missing, and also her clothing was present, as he describes the items found in her pockets.

Here is the link, if anyone is interested, along with some pictures of Lamballe (also current picture of the place where she supposedly died): madameguillotine(dot)org(dot)uk/2012/09/03/the-death-of-the-princesse-de-lamballe/
( I am sorry, I can't post a link as a new user, site says it is too spamy for a newbie, but I am sure anyone who will want, will figure it out).

Of course, we may not know for sure, but this gives me slight hope that although Lamballe died a very tragic death, it might be less brutal and painfull than accounted by many.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:43 am
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome to the forum!

I just noticed the name of this thread being -
"Portrait of Lamballe just hours before her execution"

Princess Lamballe wasn't executed, she was brutally murdered by a gang of thugs who likely raped her before the cut off her head and paraded it to the Temple in an attempt to make the Queen look at it.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 pm
Peasant
Peasant

Thank you, Lilly!

You are absolutely right about the murder, I somehow hadn't even noticed the thread said execution.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]