Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 18th century Dances 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: 18th century Dances
That breakdance was insane!

Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

But of course! :D

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:00 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Those videos are very helpful, a great reference when I throw my 30th birthday Rococo masquerade ball. Though I find those dances very enchanting, my husband on the otherside, wouldn't budge a square inch for ballroom dancing as such even though he's into the 18th century as well. He's not too coordinated with his feet. I've learned something similar to this in junior high in my music class. I enjoyed it, not so much my classmates.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:22 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Huzzah! I found more videos! I like the ladie's outift in the entree des Bacchantes. Please enjoy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ktE4_nmew

Here is another one it is called Entree de Saturne!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzrCokwcMIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dYvX6IxkIM

Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:18 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

they are really nice :biggrin:

reine :angel6:

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:25 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I wish I could dance like that! I wish dancing like these videos was accepted by society and then the clusminess (except for break dancing)would be discarded in favor of baroque and rococo dance.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:13 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you Hellou for finding these!
Baroque Dance: Passacaille from Mozart's "Idomeneo" – Perfect harmony.
I have always wanted to learn how to dance some classic dances but I couldn’t find anyone to join me. One day I’ll go alone to dancing classes if I have to.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:11 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

If anyone has the opportunity, you should see the New York Baroque Dance Company perform.

www.nybaroquedance.org/

Sometimes, they also give lessons before the performances. (Alas! I was not very good at the minuet!)

Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:39 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I was flipping channels a couple of nights ago and stumbled on Gluck's "Orfeo ed Eurydice" by the NY Metropolitan Opera on PBS. When it got to the final ballet, the usual "Love triumphs" theme, the choreography was modern and the "costumes" were street clothes. Normally, I would, without actually seeing such a staging, be closed minded, but it was enchanting. I lean toward authenticity (however close we think we can get), but this opened me up to possibilities of reviving more 18th Century operas and ballets with this sort of creativity. If it will get the music played, and enlivened with dance (don't stop concert revivals, though), then I'm all for it. The ballet music of the period that I have heard, and found in my little keyboard transcriptions, is so expressive and "physical" that one can't help but want to dance to it - even in T-shirts and tennis shoes, the music will guide your movements. And they will be elegant, like an aria sung in the shower, but we will believe! (Signed: "Yet again, late to the party" - and happy to be here.)

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:32 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It sounds charming! I also agree with you, in that I think that creative rearrangements, with modern costumes or so, can be made only they're really good. I'm not prejudiced against them, but I think they must have a very strong vision at their basis; otherwise, I also incline toward autenticity.

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:41 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

As far as having to learn these dances, as a part of a gentleman's polishing for release in polite society, it came no more easily to them than it does today (the comment I read earlier by one member who tried with difficulty the steps of a minuet should hardly feel chagrined). Louis himself was vexed and tormented by this business, and one can imagine that he was not a very graceful dancer. In reading anecdotes on the subject of social dancing, many students could only dance to the tunes that were used when they were taught. So, perhaps, the "popularity" of some rather unremarkable minuets that became famous (Fischer's and Exaudet's) may be owing to the wide exposure these tunes had in the dancing master's classroom.

Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:03 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I cam figure it! When it comes to dancing, a lot of guys are really clumsy :lol: It had to be difficult for them, to learn how to move gracefully...Well, I think it would be great if men had to learn dancing as a part of their education even today! It would be fun (and would make them true gentlemen :wink: )

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3