Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 18th century portraits. 
Royalty
Royalty

Post 18th century portraits.
Marija Vera wrote:
Elle wrote:
Marija, I had read also that Rousseau was "strange," and that the leaders of the revolution were "weido's like the Marquis De Sade."

Somewhere I’ve read or somebody had told me that Robespierre had never had any intercourse with any woman :shock: . I doubt it’s true, I don’t know much about his biography, I don’t know even was he married at all!

:shock: Maybe he was asexual. I still find it hard to believe.
Délicate fleur wrote:
Marija. I would love to find the page that keeps all 3000 portraits!! Although I do prefer Gainsborough, many of Reynolds works have this yellow/golden sheen to them that I am not sure I like.
Marija Vera wrote:
I love more Reynolds than Gainsborough, maybe because I have seen so many of his works that I got an addiction. I like his realism even the themes are idealized. Gainsborough doesn’t always follow that strict realism but maybe that’s just my imagination, it is hard to compare the two greatest portraits artists and be fair.
That book would mean a world to me!

No, I meant a web site!

Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:24 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: 18th century portraits.
Lots of people are asexual these days.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

How can you substantiate this claim? And why would it be so, considering how over-sexualised our society is these days.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:25 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
How can you substantiate this claim? And why would it be so, considering how over-sexualised our society is these days.

They way I do with everything else. Take my word for it. Alot of people tend to keep to themselves and find no attraction to anyone. Look at creepy cat ladies for example...

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

I am not sure that we can always 'take your word for it'. For something like Marie Antoinette, I think very highly of your ideas, however. I think that 'creepy cat ladies' may of been out there meeting people but ultimately have been rejected by society in some way and retreat to their cats, believing that they care. So it's not impossible that they may of had sex in an earlier time of their life. Sorry for straying so off topic and a strange one at that!

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't Know, but his features looked to be nice looking. However small and pock marked is not pleasant to me. any way the article I read said that Louis had imprissioned the Marquise De Sade for torturing peasant women and girls. Some how he incited a mob to storm the Bastille. and that he exercised influence over Rousseau. He also probably had a hand in those nasty Pamphlets. He was incapable of anything normal.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

De Sade was also charged for molesting men.
:shock:

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:shock: Now there is a good use for a Guillotine!!! why was he allowed to go on like that!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:40 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Who knows.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:50 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Elle wrote:
:shock: Now there is a good use for a Guillotine!!! why was he allowed to go on like that!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Because he was a nobleman. :roll:

And he was insane. You cannot reason with a mad man!

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thats like stealing an egg mcmuffin from a homeless man :/

Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Robespierre asexual? I don't think so: he had a partner who was faithful to him for all his life, and then remained faithful to his memory after his death. Her name was Eleanore Duplay, and she was the daughter of his landlord. They didn't get married, I don't know whether beacuse they didn't believe in marriage or for other reasons. Anyway, she is usually described as "his fiancée". Eleanore's sister, Elisabeth, married another revolutionary, Philippe Francois Joseph Le Blas.
She also looks quite beautiful:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89l%C3%A9onore_Duplay

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:50 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Ah, Eléonore. No one knows exactly what her relationship was with Robespierre, but it's clear they were very close. Her sister Elisabeth (here's her portrait too) wrote that they were engaged. His sister Charlotte wrote that they were not. Charlotte and the Duplay family did not get along. As for why they didn't get married... I think one could certainly say that Robespierre's priorities were elsewhere and he had no intention of getting married until the Revolution was "over." Or he did want to marry her, but never really had the time (he moved in with the family after the Massacre on the Champs de Mars in 1791, so he never had much leisure time afterward) to devote to her due to the Revolution. Or you could say he didn't love her romantically, they were just friends. My personal thoughts on this are that the Duplays all assumed that he would marry her "when the Revolution was over," but that it was never actually stated. And whether or not he loved her romantically or as a friend, he came to understand that the Revolution would never be over.

However, after he died she wore mourning for the rest of her life (she died in 1832) and she actually received a pension as his widow from Napoleon. She and Elisabeth lived together and raised Elisabeth's son. Elisabeth actually wrote some very interesting, short memoirs on her life during the Revolution that give some great insights into the personal lives of people like Robespierre and Saint-Just (who was for a time engaged to Elisabeth's husband's sister! But it ended before his death).

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you for this precious information, Dreamaoutloud!

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you both! She looks very pretty.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next