Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Louis XVI's faults 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Louis XVI's faults
I cannot see any other fault in The King except he was too kind to his people. He was also too kind with his brothers in my opinion. Perhaps if he applied more of a brutal force perhaps the Revolution could have ended?

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Louis XVI's faults
Hellou_Librorum wrote:
I cannot see any other fault in The King except he was too kind to his people. He was also too kind with his brothers in my opinion. Perhaps if he applied more of a brutal force perhaps the Revolution could have ended?

He was too kind to the Duc d'Orleans, whom he should have had strung up in July 1789.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:27 pm
Royalty
Royalty

If anyone deserved to be severely punished it should have been the Duke d'Orleans. Louis XVI did not abdicate because the Duke d'Orleans was too weak.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:56 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Louis XVI was well-intentioned, but weak and indecisive as a monarch. When things got to a crisis, he dithered and often fell back on a response of "do nothing" or "try to maintain the status quo" when a little spontaneity and liberalism on his part probably would have helped him immensely. On the whole I would say he was a good man, but a poor king for the times he lived in.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:02 am
Royalty
Royalty

I concur. I believe that when the ferocity of The Revolution increased he became more submissive and Antoinette had to for a lack of a better word pick up his slack.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:53 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

It is rather ironic that for all the criticism directed at Marie Antoinette for meddling in government prior to the Revolution, it was after the Revolution when it was really just her and Louis XVI when she had the greatest influence on the King's decisions. As Mirabeau said, "The king has only one man on his side and that is his wife."

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think both of you have nailed it exactly. The King was weak as a ruler, but not as a person. It always seemed to me that MA had little interest in the government until things became so bad she felt she had to act. But in her defense she was never trained to govern and probably never dreamed she would need to.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Louis showed a great deal of firmness earlier in his reign in his political decisions, especially in pushing through his various social reforms, and his building up of the navy, and winning the war against Britain. It was he who deliberately kept Marie-Antoinette out of politics in those years, although she tried to meddle, egged on by her family in Austria. After the death of the Dauphin in June 1789, Louis, according to some historians, had a series of nervous breakdowns, continuing throughout the next four years. Then Marie-Antoinette had to intervene. The fact that they were not murdered in October 1789, but survived for four years, says a great deal for how both Louis and Antoinette were able to handle difficult situations and win over opponents. For truly, if they had been less brave and capable, they would have been dead in 1789.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:44 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Christophe wrote:
I think both of you have nailed it exactly. The King was weak as a ruler, but not as a person.

I completely agree with you. (Hey, it can happen occasionally! :wink: )

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

While we are dwelling on Louis's perceived weaknesses, let us recall his many reforms. In 1774 Louis XVI placed Turgot in charge of finances and introduced free circulation of grain. Founded School of Medicine in Paris. In 1775 droits d'octroi were reduced, prison reform begun, and the death penalty for deserters was abolished. In 1776 the king signed the six edicts of Turgot comprising the abolition of the corvee. The parlements resisted the edicts, preventing them from becoming law. In the same year he reduced his household. In 1778 more taxes reduced. In 1779 the king abolished servitude and other reforms were made. In 1780 further reductions in the Royal household were made, hospital reform was begun, prison reform continued, most torture was abolished. In 1784 relief was given to Jews. In 1786 more hospital reform, aid to the deaf, and provisions made for lost children. In 1787 steps were taken towards the total abolition of the corvee, more reductions in royal household, civil rights accorded to Jews and Protestants. In 1788 all forms of torture were abolished, greater freedom given to press, steps towards abolition of lettres de cachet.

His fault: he refused to shed the blood of his people.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:16 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I think we would have to start another topic if I added what reforms Louis XVI made! :lol:

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, we should!! :wink:

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:|

Last edited by Ludy on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:26 pm
Noble
Noble

As much as I love Louis XVI, he was only human, and had plenty of faults of his own. Personally, and I know that not everyone may consider these faults: he was very lacking in self-confidence, was not a very good conversationalist, was a hunter, was awkward, was indecisive at times, was often foolish (notably for refusing to leave Versailles). But it his flaws that make him human, and I love him in spite of them.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:06 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

And.... I believe he was never properly prepared for this important position.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next