Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 weight and size(centimeters) 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: weight and size(centimeters)
I have calculated her bust to waist ratio and it is 0.54. I think bust and waist ratio could from what I've read on BBC it could indicate how fertile a woman is or could be.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:06 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

"Weight ? No idea, dear... But we have informations from her milliner Mme Elofe : bosom 109 cm, waist 58 cm, that is to say an important ratio between the bosom and the waist. Of course, these measures were made late, after Marie Antoinette's pregnancies. She was thiner when she was young. While aging, she got stouter."

These measurements would translate into a 43 inch bust and 23 inch waist. Roughly, by today's standards, and depending on height and frame, this would translate into a size equivalent of an extra large in today's clothing. The waist would be a size small to medium, depending on the hips. :queen:

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:05 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Sounds like Antoinette had a Pam Anderson figure! Vivienne Leigh was said to have a 20 inch waiste. All this talk made me wonder so I measured my waiste and now I feel fat, 26 inches! I am going to eat grapes for supper tonight! HA! Or maybe invest in a corset hahaha! I guess I would've been the chubby girl :roll:

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:56 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

That's ok my waist is 27 inches. I guess I'm pretty fat for standards today and back then. But I still wish I had a tiny little waist like that *sigh*.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I know think she definitely would have needed a corset to achieve those measurements. What a lot of people don't think of is that her bust size of 42" (44" according to some) the inches represent how large around her ribcage is right under the breasts. And in no way indicates her breast size. Being a woman of the same bust measurement healthy covered in the cup size, but one of my closest friend who has the exact same measurements as me is a small B cup. I get really tired when artists hear that she had a 42/44" bust right away thing that must mean she had those exploding anime type breasts. :angry1:
I remember reading in both books (What The Queen Wore to the Revolution and Fraisers The Journey 'and no, I don't remember the page') that having a double chin was considered beautiful. As was the small waist. I think to get both, a corset was very much needed! Most women (not all) who have a 44" bust have somewhere between 38-42" waist. Around a 1x-2x in clothing.
From the info we are given, tells me that she most certainly worse a corset most of the time and practiced what is now called tightlacing. Something very common all the way to the 1920s. You can see it now still with models like Dita Von Teese and Cathrine d'Lish. However, because it takes years to perfect and drastically distorts the body, not many people want to go that far.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re:
Pimprenelle wrote:
Yes... and no, actually... She hated corsets as a very young girl, although she really needed that to correct her back.

may I ask, what was wrong with her back?

reine :angel6:

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The pictures with the modification of the waist due to corsets are really horrible...
It's a luck that fashion changed today :roll: Anyway, about MA being thin or not, I think she could be called thin when she was very young (when she arrived at Versailles for example) , but as she grew up she was quite full (I hope it's the right term, I mean not fat, but curvaceous). At that time being thin wasn't considered an attractive quality (like today, unluckily): so the ideal for a woman was to have a small waist, but a full figure otherwise.

As for MA's back problems...I can't remember exatly what they were, but maybe sokme form of scholiosis? It's quite common in teenagers

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:30 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Yes :) 'Full' works, as does 'curvaceous', 'voluptuous', and 'full figure'. My 2 favorite are 'Rubenesque' and a term from Africa 'Think Madame'. ;)(I do apreciate your not wanting to use the word fat and not wanting to offend anyone. Not may people stop to think about it.:) )
As beautiful as the dresses were, I really like the paintings with her in the gauze dresses.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

I am usually reluctant to call anyone else fat however, I have no problem calling myself fat and my corgi "fat".

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:53 am
Royalty
Royalty

Perhaps Antoinette was a late bloomer? It didn't really occur to me now. Due to the fact she was rather thin even when she was fourteen years old.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Re:
reine wrote:
Pimprenelle wrote:
Yes... and no, actually... She hated corsets as a very young girl, although she really needed that to correct her back.

may I ask, what was wrong with her back?

She had one shoulder higher than the other.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:00 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

oh...thx for the info, pimprenelle

Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:03 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
Perhaps Antoinette was a late bloomer? It didn't really occur to me now. Due to the fact she was rather thin even when she was fourteen years old.

That very well could be. I thought for sure she had started her cycle before she left for Versailles, but someone posted here that her cycle didn't start until after her arrival. If this is the case, seeing that she left home at 14, that could indicate late blooming.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

My waist is 24 inches and I am hoping to get it down to 23" naturally... I'm just about to order corsets which will mean I go down to 20"... my bust is 28E... so not as big as hers, but I have time to catch up!!! :wink:

I need a corset as one half of my body is about and inch higher than the other, especially my shoulder and hip it's noticable. Hopefully the steel boned corset will help :roll:

Marie Antoinette Inspired Jewlery ->

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 074?ref=ts

Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Dauphinejewelry wrote:

My waist is 24 inches and I am hoping to get it down to 23" naturally... I'm just about to order corsets which will mean I go down to 20"... my bust is 28E... so not as big as hers, but I have time to catch up!!!

Well thanks Dauphine for sharing those juicy details with us, especially the bit about your bust! :wink:

I'm getting to like this forum more and more! :lol:

Now you're over your very temporary photo phobia, maybe you could oblige us, corsets and all? Seeing as we know each other better now? :wink:

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next