Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Royal Mistresses esp du Barry and Pompadour 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: Royal Mistresses esp du Barry and Pompadour
It was said that the crowd was made extremely uncomfortable by her hysterics though and had more people conducted themselves like her instead of with the stoicism admired at the time, perhaps the Terror would have come to an end sooner. Although perhaps not. There were a few other people who famously went to their deaths hysterically who got booed by the mob (though they were later during the Terror and had a different relationship to the mob than Mme Du Barry.)

Another note, her last words, "Please, a few seconds more!" (or something similar) became a favorite subject for questioning the meaning of existence for French existentialist philosophers in the 20th century.

Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:53 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I don't think screaming like a banshee would really endear yourself to anyone, especially a mob in the French Revolution.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:38 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Not so much endearment, but it would be a horrible thing to watch somebody going to their death in hysterics. Much more so than watching somebody silent and composed.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:03 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I have to admit that I would be hysterical going to get my head chopped off. I admire my girl Antoinette but don't dare imagine that I could have had such grace and dignity in that situation. I probably would have passed out on the way there. My "courage" would have for sure "failed me", where MA's did not.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:09 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I also think so. MA's composure and courage was strinking, in my opinion!

Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:40 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, she was a true Lady to the very end..... If it had been me, I would have been cursing them at the top of my lungs, calling them every nasty name I could think of.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:47 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I think Marie Antoinette's death was a testament to the strength of her character and was very admirable. Which is not to say that someone who went to their death with less than perfect stoicism was any less worthy, but for someone who was and is popularly derided as frivolous and shallow it shows she had great inner strength, pride, and dignity.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:31 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Christophe wrote:
Interestingly enough, du Barry lived long after Louis XV, and was guillotined during the Terror. Her execution became notorious: unlike the King and Queen, who went to their deaths with quiet dignity, du Barry went all the way screaming, crying and pleading for her life. It is said that the spectators were horrified, and afterwards, expressed sympathy for her.

Yes, in the book Madame du Barry: The Wages of Beauty by Joan Haslip she adds to that by saying in exchange for her life, du Barry also told a few influential people that she had some gold and jewelry hidden in a few different spots. She would give them all of it for her life. They (I don't remember who) said they were intrigued and told her that possibly something could be worked out. They asked how could they trust her? So in good faith (and desperation if you ask me) she told them where her stashes were. Bad move on her end. Know that she said where her loot was, she was no longer needed.
At first I thought you would think she would know better, however, given her circumstances and her hysterics, I think I can see where she was coming from.

I wonder if Marie Antoinette wasn't so heavily influenced to dislike du Barry, do you think they would have gotten along?

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

No, I personally don't believe Marie Antoinette would have gotten along with DuBarry woman-to-woman. MA was raised in rigid court etiquette in Austria and was phenomenally ignorant and resistant to court intrigue and political maneuvering while young. She was almost forced to utter a small insignificant phrase in the general direction of DuBarry by the combined influences of the King and her mother the Empress in order to avert a severe social schism at the French court. Having acquiesced in this instance MA reportedly said she would go no farther. I believe it was a matter of to-the-manor-born vs an interloper--bottom line. :queen:

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:01 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

You make a very valid point. She was raised to believe herself superior (all aristocracy was) to any "lower born", yet here is a former prostitute sharing the Kings bed. Your reminding me that it took the King and her mother to get her to utter a short sentence she would never have even tried to like her on the alone merit of her being lower born. If I remember my French correctly I think it was,"Il y a bien du monde aujourd'hui, a Versailles." Please correct me if I am wrong, it's been a long time. LOL

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Your sentence is correct. However the young Dauphine was also obliged to share a card table occasionally with Mme du Barry, and when called upon by circumstances to acknowledge her (the usual course of the game) she apparently did so with good grace. Her description of her as "a creature" in a letter to her mother the day after Louis XV's death is not one of the most creditable things in MA's favour. Her attitude generally to this woman shows this indomptable and independent spirit that bordered sometimes on the judgemental. The charming letter that Mme du Barry writes from Louveciennes to the Queen in later life, when the Queen thanks her for having cared for certain guards wounded in the Tuileries assault, shows that things had mellowed between the two women. In those early Dauphine days I think that MA was unable to accept the fact that a former prostitute should have such a key role at court. This attitude is all MA, and not really inspired by her mother or even the Austrian court, because Marie-Thérèse maintains a wholly pragmatic line at all times, exhorting her daughter not to reject the favourite for her own good. And later her brother, Joseph II, even goes so far as to punish his sister's for her overall behaviour at Court, by paying a most suprizing visit to Mme du Barry at her Chateau in Louveciennes, knowing full well what MA would think of such an unscheduled visit, against all protocol considering Louis XV was long dead.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:01 pm
Noble
Noble

Well, from what I've read, there was a vast difference between Pompadour and du Barry both peronality like and the way people regarded them.
Mme. de Pompadour was a lively beautiful woman coming from Paris bourgeoisie; her father had been a financial adventurer who ran away from Paris when he was to be put on trial for his wrongdoings. So her wife and her daughter had some hard times, but her wife was an attractive woman who had some reputation and finally become the long-time mistress of a Paris banker. This man cared for young Antoinette Poisson, who was a lovely, charming and pretty young woman; everyone called her Reinette. This man payed her education in a fine school at the Ursulines of Passy. Later he married her to his nephew and got him a job as a public officer.
Reinette and his husband were pretty happy; he had to be away from home frecquently and she took care of their residence. They weren't rich but well-off, and she liked to ride in a little light blue calash in the forests: they were neighbors to one of the King's residences. Louis once met her and was attracted by her beauty. He was around 32 and she was around 21 years old.
Later he started to court her and she finally was seen on a famous ball given by the King to celebrate his son's first wedding IIRC. It was a masked ball, and everyone was wondering who was the lady who was dancing with the King, who was always recognized even if he used to have several other men disguises exactly like him so he could have fun incognito. She was considered some brief and minor love adventure; as she was not of high rank, the courtesans dismissed her as of little importance, but the King was doting on her and she became the offcial mistress after being "introduced" at Court: everyone had to be officially introduced to the King and Queen to attend to court activities.
She was a lovely fine gentle woman; she sang very well and turned out as a great actress when some time later she had the idea to play on an amateur theater with her friends. She had an exquisite taste and greatly influenced the arts of the period, as she became an arts patron and supported many artists. She love fêtes and opulence too, so she was accused of wasting public money. She was respected to some extent, but people from the court often dispised her because of her burgeois upbringing and her mother's reputation. Many insulting chansons were dedicated to her, the Poissonades. She was not a hard-hearted or a mischievous woman, but of course she enjoyed her position and the relative power she had through the King's heart.
Queen Marie Leczynska was wounded, of course, but she never showed her dislike and was in good terms with the Pompadour, who tried to show her respect to the Queen through some attentions. But of course she was the King's mistress and no one forgot that, for good or bad.
After some years, as she did not enjoy sex that much, and as the King of course did, they stopped their physical relations but she became a beloved friend to him; he had many mistresses but no one was of importance as Madame de Pompadour remained the One he loved.
She suffered of comsumption, and got ill in the 1760s, finally dying in 1764, on Palm Sunday. Her coffin was carried under a heavy rain; Louis kept watching as it rode lonely away throuhg the avenue de Paris; then he grabbed on of his courtesan arm and with tears running down his cheeks said: "It's the only homage I can pay her".

Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:44 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Archiduque wrote:

They weren't rich but well-off, and she liked to ride in a little light blue calash in the forests: they were neighbors to one of the King's residences. Louis once met her and was attracted by her beauty

Mme de Pompadour was ambitious, and aware of her charms. Once she heard that the King hunted near to the grounds of her husband's château, she deliberately put herself there where he was bound to notice her. She was informed ahead of time when he would be hunting. It seemed her stratagem worked...

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Archiduque wrote:

They weren't rich but well-off, and she liked to ride in a little light blue calash in the forests: they were neighbors to one of the King's residences. Louis once met her and was attracted by her beauty

Mme de Pompadour was ambitious, and aware of her charms. Once she heard that the King hunted near to the grounds of her husband's château, she deliberately put herself there where he was bound to notice her. She was informed ahead of time when he would be hunting. It seemed her stratagem worked...

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:13 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Baron, you may wish to delete your double post. EM Vidal has included on her blog an interesting article on the death of Mme. du Barry on the anniversary of her execution, 8 December, 1793. http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2008/12/death-of-madame-du-barry.html

Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next