Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 La Révolution Française ONLINE! 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post La Révolution Française ONLINE!
I'm so excited to bring this to you guys! This is, in my opinion, the BEST movie ever made about the French Revolution. This is the movie I've mentioned a few times earlier that was filmed for the bicentennial of the Revolution, shot bilingually in both French and English. This is, unfortunately, the French version (if you want to get your hands on an English copy, PM me), so I apologize to those who don't speak French. I think it may still be worth watching if you know the history of the Revolution well enough to follow the story. Jane Seymour makes an excellent Marie Antoinette, in my opinion. She plays her as a strong, though reactionary, woman who is determined to protect her family and the monarchy. Jean-François Balmer is excellent as Louis XVI. The whole cast is amazing (extra props to Andrezj Seweryn as Robespierre). Basically the movie follows the events of the Revolution, but it focuses personally on the lives of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette and Camille Desmoulins, Danton and Robespierre. It is by far the most historically accurate movie out there (which is not to say it gets all the details correct, but it's far better than any other film). Because it is a miniseries, it manages to fit in events that are usually left out of movies, such as the death of the first dauphin. The amazing thing about this movie is that it manages to be sympathetic to just about everyone.

Once again, I'm sorry for the people who don't speak French. I think it's worth watching anyway if you can follow the story. Also, in some of the clips the sound and the video are just a teensy bit off. Not too bad and not in all of them, but just an fyi.

La Révolution Française

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:07 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: La Révolution Française ONLINE!
Merci for drawing our attention to this, dear dreamoutloud! :angel1:

Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I look forward to seeing it finally, after all these years. Thank you for sharing, Dreamoutloud.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:58 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I'm glad to help you find it. The English one is even better, as for some reason they cut some of the scenes out of the French version.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:00 pm
This 2 part biopic of the french revolution is good yes and most of the time accurate.

Jane Seymour is a fabulous Marie-Antoinette.

However the depiction of the Queen is a bit disappointing. The film start in 1788 the year before all hell broke loose and it still depicts a frivoulous carefree spending unfaithful Marie-Antoinette. Everybody who's read a few books about the Queen knows that by that time the happy times were over. By then spending had been greatly reduced within her household and wardrobe and she no longer or very little took to dancing as she had said she would stop at 30 years of age. Also in 1788 she was involved more and more in politics because her husband suffered a kind of breakdown and couldn't cope on his own. The worry about the failing health of her eldest son, the deteriorating political situation all concurred to change her in a more sensible mature Queen. On top of that in these opening scenes she is seen as saying 'le pauvre homme' (the poor man) when talking about her husband. She did say it but about 10 years or so before, which was reported to her then alive mother. She was severely reprimanded in a letter for it and never said it again! During the time at the Tuileries she is shown as being a bit too austrian and if I remember well at some point forcing her husband to sign something. Let's remind ourselves here that she was austrian after all and that the concept of nation didn't really exist for kings and queens at this time in Europe. All royal families were closely related and saw their kingdoms as 'personal property' that they ruled by divine right, and the people/nation didn't really come into account. Therefore the sending of war plans to Austria by the Queen was no treason at all according to her. She was merely asking her nephew the emperor to rescue her and her family from a terrible situation and I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with her actions. Wouldn't you if you were in her shoes? Finally I also remember that in the movie when her trial starts she is being physically pushed into the court room: no such thing ever happened at her trial and that's a fact. We know that at the end of the trial when she went back to her cell she was helped by the guard who was with her. He was later arrested for his act of kindness!

These are some of the things I recall, I am sure there are more but to me they still show Marie-Antoinette in a not completely favourable light. If I saw that movie not knowing anything about the Queen beforehand, I could believe that she did say those famous words 'if they don't have bread, let them eat cake!'. Horrible thought isn't it?

But...well done to Jane Seymour, she did brilliantly with the script and directives she was given. She is a superb Marie-Antoinette!

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I watched all of this on YouTube! Jane Seymor was a fantastic Marie Antoinette. There was some parts that irritated me.

Like showing her being all merry with Fersen in 1788. Both parts of that scenario irritate me. I didn't like how it depicted her sleeping when the mob stormed Versailles...since most accounts I remember reading said she couldn't sleep that night. The June 20th storming of the Tuilieres also bugged me since he didnt' show the Queen face down the mob. (I also didn't like the wigs..)

However I did like most of the rest. I liked how they showed her trial and that they accurately depicted her execution. (It seems like a lot of movies mess that up)

Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]