Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Marie-Antoinette and cats 
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Marie-Antoinette and cats
No matter how many cats there were at Versailles, I think it is an extremely horrible thing to shoot them, or even kick them for that matter. I am a HUGE animal lover...and I have a little kitty cat of my own..I simply cannot imagine anyone being so cruel enough to shoot them. Its disgusting. :x :angry9:

Farewell, farewell!

-Marie Antoinette

Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:49 am
Royalty
Royalty

I don't necessarily agree with it either but it's not like they had any methods to keep the population down like neutering or spaying.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:19 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I agree Hellou. I'm not keen on cats at all (much prefer dogs) but I would never be cruel to them or tolerate anyone else being cruel to them, but it was over 200 years ago - methods we have today for controlling their population weren't available back then. It doesn't make me think any less of Louis - a man of his times :king:

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:01 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I must do more research about it but why the situation was different with dogs? And why would the king be that one who is fixing that problem if he didn’t find it particularly interesting or amusing? And why would he kill the kitten of one female courtier and then give her a new one if they were unwanted? I don’t know what they did with rats and bugs, I assume they had some poison and some smarter method than shooting at them. Louis XV loved cats, I am sure that population of them at court was high too. We all know that many noble people just loved animals and had many pets.
I just can’t find any reasonable excuse at this point.

Attachments:
kitten.jpg
kitten.jpg [ 78.63 KiB | Viewed 3304 times ]

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:00 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I think dogs were valued more because they actually could be trained to hunt for foxes, guard, rid of vermin, shepherd sheep or goats. Cats don't really do all that much except rid of mice which is good but they don't really do anything else.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Rats and mice are not for underestimating.:lol:
I think they caused bigger problem than the cats.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, I'm very disappointed in hearing about Louis XVI shooting cats!!!!
I LOVE cats (they are my favourite animals), but, apart from this, which is just a personal taste, I think respect is due to all animals. I don't like people who mistreat anmals!

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Rosalie wrote:
Oh, I'm very disappointed in hearing about Louis XVI shooting cats!!!!
I LOVE cats (they are my favourite animals), but, apart from this, which is just a personal taste, I think respect is due to all animals. I don't like people who mistreat anmals!

:wave:

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:47 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Like I said before I'm not too keen on it. However I think if there were a more humane method like spaying and neutering I think Louis would have people to do so, because then he wouldn't have to shoot at the cats.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:41 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Yeah, I can't imagine him getting any enjoyment out of it. I think to people living in this day and age the idea of this is totally repulsive, but Louis did live more than 200 years ago and as Hellou has said, there probably weren't any other means of controlling the cats population. And as Christophe said, some of the cats were feral so really how is it different to the hunt that the aristocrats of the time so enjoyed? Of course its different if the cats were domestic pets. I don't agree with this method at all but it's likely the only option they had. And I HATE people who mistreat animals. :angry4:

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:36 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I don't think there was really the concept of animal abuse or mistreatment of animals that we have today. If you read Robert Darnton's book "The Great Cat Massacre," it recounts the story of how some working men put a bunch of cats on "trial" and then hung them and they would later recount the story as hilarious. Up until the Revolution, the Festival of St. Jean involved a big bonfire by the Hotel de Ville that people threw cats into. For a very limited portion of the population cats and dogs were seen as lovable pets, but for most people they were creatures that you could throw into bonfires for entertainment. My 21st century mind recoils at all this, as well as Louis XVI shooting cats, but in its historical context there was nothing unusual or wrong with him taking pot shots at cats. They were a nuisance, so why not?

Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:50 am
Royalty
Royalty

I think so as well dreamoutloud. Dogs were just to help people not pets. I agree with Princess 2 and dreamoutloud. There was no concept of animal abuse so how could it have been wrong if the concept didn't exsist?

Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

yes, it's true, times are different and people' mentality changes very much, also in respect to animal treatment. So I won't change my general idea about Louis :wink: .
It's just that I instinctively feel upset when I hear about such things...

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is just very sad, I understand for peasants but you would expect more from the enlightened king. In every period, there were people who were different from the environment, very progressive and smart. I expected more from Louis that’s all. :(

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:09 pm
Than you very much everybody ! I know Louis XVI have kill, not intentionally (par mégarde), a persan cat of a honnor woman (dame d'honneur) de Marie-Antoinette on the roof of Versailles castle. The cat has long furs white with blue eyes. We can suppose there were some cats "of roof-gutter" and race cats in the castle like persan or siemese.
Just want to know how can I post an avatar, thanks.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next