Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Her looks 
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Her looks
I think Antoinette was a lovely woman, not conventionally beautiful as her features weren't regular at all, her forehead was high, her nose a little long, her Habsburg lips and so, but she was attractive and regarding the testimonies of her contemporaries, there was something about her that was extremely charming and the perfect harmony of her movements rendered her entire persona tremendously appealing.
Of course, marble and other materials used for scupltures are not meant to show the best of this kind of beauty. I mean, stones and other hard materials emphatize the features and are suited for especially perfect and regular features, thus any feature is much remarked and so were Marie-Antoinette's; that's why she would not look so great if we were able to take a b&w picture of her, because b&w enhances body lines and thus any small imperfection or anything prominent may look too much so, while smooth features look great in those pics and materials. Let's say, about nowadays expamples, Cameron Díaz is a beautiful girl, but she wouldn't look as great in marble or in a b&w pic as her beauty shines in living colours; Gabriela Sabatini's beauty, conversely, is not quite captured by regular pics, and she is much more beautiful in person, while her nose and her features would make her look great in marble. Not the case of Marie-Antoinette, whose beauty was much more noticeable with the vivid colour of her eyes, hair and mostly her skin, her most remarkable feature according to Vigée-Lebrun, who described it "brilliant, as her skin was so luminous that it could not absorb any shadow".

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:58 pm
Royalty
Royalty

[quote="Archiduque"]I have read somewhere that Madame Royale wrote about her mother's portraits, I guess on er memoirs about the Temple days, and mentioned this as the one that most resembled to her mother:

Perhaps at is because she is wearing a dark color and very simple clothes. Being her daughter helps as well. ;)

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:29 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

There is a marble bust of MA which I have seen, and which has been copied many times; I think it's very flattering and attractive.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:28 am
Noble
Noble

I have seen some too and I found them nice too; what I mean is that she won't look her best in that kind of material IMHO

Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:49 pm
Marie Antoinette was a gorgeous lady indeed. Maybe super good looks bring bad luck?

Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:31 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I don't really understand why she got so much flack about her hair when dresses like this were worn with no problem.http://www.antoinettescloset.com/realgowns1.htm
To me it's relatively the same thing going on. Sure, this kind of dress would be for very important parties and meetings and not worn everyday. Though, neither was Antoinettes hair 3 feet tall everyday. From all I have read and seen she chose that hairstyle for important events and not for everyday attire.
I wonder if the hairstyle (while widely mimicked) ended up turning into something bad just because it was more a symbol of Marie Antoinette and something to make fun of when she became hated.
p.s. For give me, it seems the link went to the general gallery. I was talking about dresses such as numbers 10 and 42

Last edited by ShaktiValkyrie on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have the feeling nowaday's biographs tend to be excessively negative as regards to MA's appearance, denying her all beauty. Maybe because previous historians were apt to stretch her beauty. I have once read that Girault de Coursac presented MA as a red haired, scrawny teenager that lacked personal hygiene ! And MA is not the only case. After Zweig, it's grown fashionable to question Mary Stuart's beauty as well, for instance : according to him, portraits show quite a plain lady, not even beautiful.When I glance at her portraits, I generally see a stunning woman (depending on the artists though). Bordonove also argues about Marguerite de Valois's praised beauty, claiming that it is not difficult to appear beautiful, when wearing the most beautiful garnments. It is indeed undeniable that the prestige of MA's position, as well as the luxury that surrounded her, highlighted her beauty. But I find this trend somewhat exaggerated : as if there were so many biographs of MA, that you needed to single out at all costs, going off the beaten track, even at the expense of historical accuracy, since, as Fraser puts it (in The Journey)there is such a unanimity of reports that it's hard to doubt the truth of the picture. After all, Marie Leczinska was never said to beautiful, no more than Marie Thérèse Raphaëlle (who was red haired as well) and Marie Josèphe de Saxe, who was described as "un joli laideron [qui] plaît infiniment" (a pretty ugly girl that pleases overwhelmingly -very hard to translate-). I don't see why MA's would have said to be pretty, if she was not.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:06 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

ShaktiValkyrie wrote:
I don't really understand why she got so much flack about her hair when dresses like this were worn with no problem.http://www.antoinettescloset.com/realgowns1.htm

thank you for this wonderful link :queen:

reine :angel6:

Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:40 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Her looks--my interpretation.
Her hair was ash blond with a high forehead; slightly protuberant eyes and the pronounced Hapsburg lip (droopy lowerlip). She had charm and superb carriage, appearing taller than she was; this made her very queenly and with her beautiful clothing and surroundings--beautiful. Beautiful is a regularly applied adjective to queens. :P

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:33 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

reine
You're very welcome! :)

Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:50 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I haven't seen many people mention her eyes. From all the paintings and a couple of busts, I can kind of see the "Hapsburg lips" , however I am sure artistic license came into place, they seemed to always paint her eyes as they were (in most cases). I know that today they would be seen as an unattractive quality, was it not then?

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Why unttractive? I think her eyes are one of her most attractive features. I find them very expressive, and always kind of dreamy, veiled. I see a particular charme in there. I read that, when she was young, someone (I can't remember who, maybe someone can help me) remarked that her eyes were "blue without being unexpressive".

By the way, speaking about MA's looks, some weeks ago I was at a graduation in my University, which underwent a very important reform under Maria Theresa and Joseph II. The ceremony was in one of the most ancient and formal rooms, where I had rarely been before. As I entered, I noticed for the first time two big portraits of Maria Theresa and Joseph, and, while veryone was waiting for the graduation, I couldn't keep my eyes off them and I made enthusiastic observations :lol: For the first time it struck me how much Jospeh looked like MA! I had the impression of seing a copy of her! It was a strange feeling, in that formal environment, s if I was faced with an old friend!

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:31 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

That is interessting, Rosalie...do you have a copy of this picture from Josep....or maybe you find it in the internet....I would like to see it.

reine :angel6:

Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I always found him attractive! :oops:
Attachment:
Joseph II.jpg
Joseph II.jpg [ 10.17 KiB | Viewed 2418 times ]

I almost forgot,
Congratulations! :biggrin:

Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:56 pm