Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 have you seen it? 
Royalty
Royalty

Post have you seen it?
http://history.howstuffworks.com/europe ... andals.htm

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:01 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: have you seen it?
I hadn't seen that, thank you for posting it. I found the video interesting, it says that Napoleon saw the storming of Versailles, I don't know much about Napoleon that is the first that I heard of him being there. Was he just a witness to the marching on Versailles or did he partake in the storming? Does anyone know? I tried to find out but came up with nothing.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:17 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Unfortunately I do not know... I have to say that I don't know much about Bonaparte's life during the revolution, except for the assault of Toulon :oops:

...but I'm sure that this title "Top 5 Marie Antoinette scandals" is only a shtick, because this article's not about her "scandals". Accordingly I find it a bit disappointing :roll:

Last edited by Anouk on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:14 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

jadean wrote:
...it says that Napoleon saw the storming of Versailles, I don't know much about Napoleon that is the first that I heard of him being there. Was he just a witness to the marching on Versailles or did he partake in the storming? Does anyone know? I tried to find out but came up with nothing.

I've never heard that before either, and I don't think he was a witness to the march on Versailles. Not that I am (in any way) an expert on Napoleon... But I believe he was not even in Paris at the time. He studied in Paris around 1784-85 and then left, not to return until 1792 - if I am not mistaken (?).

Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Napoleon indeed witnessed the attack of the Tuileries and was said to be astounded by Louis XVI's weakeness. At that time, I am not sure he had joined the Jacobins, because one shouldn't be oblivious of the fact that he attended a military school thanks to a royal scholarship (which is quite ironic in a way), his family being quite underprivileged and from a low and questionable nobilty. I think that he had a kind of fondness for the king, as many French that did not come from Paris in the first place. He was although appalled by the propaganda against MA and her final fate. But, still feeling more Corsican than French, maybe he didn't feel that concerned about the events unfolding in Paris.

As for the article, I found it quite nice, but very consesual. It seems that the only source is Antonia Fraser, who does not bring anything new under the sun about Marie-Antoinette. By the way, they call the queen Marie ... I guess this article is going to whet wrath among some of our fellow members. :lol:

Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:28 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Hans Axel wrote:
jadean wrote:
...it says that Napoleon saw the storming of Versailles, I don't know much about Napoleon that is the first that I heard of him being there. Was he just a witness to the marching on Versailles or did he partake in the storming? Does anyone know? I tried to find out but came up with nothing.

I've never heard that before either, and I don't think he was a witness to the march on Versailles. Not that I am (in any way) an expert on Napoleon... But I believe he was not even in Paris at the time. He studied in Paris around 1784-85 and then left, not to return until 1792 - if I am not mistaken (?).

Ludy wrote:
Napoleon indeed witnessed the attack of the Tuileries and was said to be astounded by Louis XVI's weakeness.

Ah, Napoleon witnessed the attack on the Tuileries palace on 10 August 1792, but not the march on Versailles in 1789...

Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:46 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Ludy wrote:
By the way, they call the queen Marie ... I guess this article is going to whet wrath among some of our fellow members. :lol:

yes I realized it as well:-) funny that inexperts wrote such an article while there're some really good historians or simple men who are interested in history and XVIIIth century France :roll:

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I found both the article and the video salicious and insulting. The video in particular was poorly done with little regards to historical facts. The article was nearly as bad, not even bothering to quote its sources accurately.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:39 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

thanks Ludy, from the video I thought they meant Versailles, that didn't make sense to me. I didn't know about Tuileries either.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:55 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

On the scandal 'Let them eat cake'.it is said: 'When the book was first published in 1782, Marie Antoinette was 10 years old under her mother's care in Austria '. The writer is completely mistaken about the date!!!!!I If MA was born in 1755, how could she have bee 10 years in 1782???????

And his sentence is so offensive: 'Marie Antoinette's royal bedchamber. Maybe they had stage fright in such ornate surroundings' :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:42 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Interesting :lol:

Maybe they wanted to write 1772 instead of 1782- but it would be also incorrect, Marie Antoinette was 17 in 1772 not 10 :lol:

Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:48 pm
Royalty
Royalty

All of this simply highlights the need for a good proofreader! :roll:

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]