Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture. 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.
Just a quick note on the image of the Halloween costume (the blue one) I think it's super cute! Someone mentioned that it seemed like something from The Girls Next Door. Well, it is.
You will notice that the model is Bridgette. She had the dresses made for her and Holly for the re-vamped Midsummer Nights Dream party they have every year at the mansion. And ya, they looked beautiful!! It wasn't until then that this dress and look-a-likes became very popular. For those who say it is to slutty, it was made for a Playboy party. No elaboration needed on that one. :)
I have the link saved somewhere (I'll post it when I find it) that had very similar dresses for Boleyn and Elizabeth 1.
All in all, some of these things are very distasteful!! Others are just cute or fun. As for her image on the pot, I have a friend who has it and she has the most wonderful roses growing it it. In many cases, it also how the object is used. One person has the action figure because she can't afford any other kind of figure or figurine of Antoinette, so she uses that. One artist took the candy heads and painted a kind of clear varnish over it and uses them to make some wonderful dolls and not just of Antoinette, but 18th century in general. Like I said, it's all in how it is used.

To Delilah, thanks for putting up the images of the paper doll book. I've always wondered what it looked like inside.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Don't you think it's wonderful that here, today, 215 years since her death, we are sat here in our homes around the world talking about, admiring and thinking of and just loving her? I bet that makes her really happy wherever she is.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, it is. :angel1:

Delilah, those paper dolls are just splendid! I wish I had something similar!

Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

ShaktiValkyrie wrote:
All in all, some of these things are very distasteful!! Others are just cute or fun. As for her image on the pot, I have a friend who has it and she has the most wonderful roses growing it it. In many cases, it also how the object is used. One person has the action figure because she can't afford any other kind of figure or figurine of Antoinette, so she uses that. One artist took the candy heads and painted a kind of clear varnish over it and uses them to make some wonderful dolls and not just of Antoinette, but 18th century in general. Like I said, it's all in how it is used.

I agree, still some standard should exist or we as a society don’t respect anything anymore. I don’t like when her image is used to sell something that is so far from her and the dignity and grace she had. The problem is that there are so many different opinions and something that I may find nice you may find disrespectful. It is hard to set the standard and say what is right so I guess it does depends on the way you use it.

I don’t like this doll but I like these brooches and I would like to have something like that! :love:

Attachments:
MarieAnt_court_Full.jpg
MarieAnt_court_Full.jpg [ 74.52 KiB | Viewed 4331 times ]
BrocheLaVisagedeMarie-Antoinette_edi-custom;size_641,481.jpg
BrocheLaVisagedeMarie-Antoinette_edi-custom;size_641,481.jpg [ 37.47 KiB | Viewed 4330 times ]
BrocheBleueMarieAntoinette-custom;size_639,479.jpg
BrocheBleueMarieAntoinette-custom;size_639,479.jpg [ 33.56 KiB | Viewed 4329 times ]

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:52 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

the brooches are really nice

reine :angel6:

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:52 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I know, they are cute! :angel5:

Attachments:
PendantJeuneMarie-Antoinette_edited-custom;size_644,690.jpg
PendantJeuneMarie-Antoinette_edited-custom;size_644,690.jpg [ 117.56 KiB | Viewed 4285 times ]

Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:29 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

well, that is really nice too..... :queen:

except that this picture is one of Marie Antoinettes pictures I don't really like :|

Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:22 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Nor do I, this picture of her seems quite new (it is my opinion), not really a rococo art. I love paintings from her youth but not this one..., I rather prefer the famous artwork of Martin van Meytens.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The brooches are really beautiful! I wish I had one.

I lìdon't like the doll, instead, because I think it doesn't render justice to MA's beauty...I think she was more beautiful and sweet than that!

Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

reine wrote:
except that this picture is one of Marie Antoinettes pictures I don't really like

I don’t like it either. She looks strange. :?

Rosalie wrote:
I lìdon't like the doll, instead, because I think it doesn't render justice to MA's beauty...I think she was more beautiful and sweet than that!

I think she was more graceful than that. This doll represents a woman who looks cheap.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:58 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Marija Vera wrote:

Rosalie wrote:

I think she was more graceful than that. This doll represents a woman who looks cheap.

Her gown like a scummy cake.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:11 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Anouk wrote:

Her gown like a scummy cake.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:44 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

yes! And her face was much more beautiful than that! (At least, I think so)

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

wow, those pictures are lovely.

Wed May 13, 2009 6:42 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

As a MA fan I often collect small things related to her. Yes, some of them are campy or cheesey, but I dont' mean it to be disrespectful at all. Actually, I just love the images on them and have them more for my interest and admiration of her.

Juicy Couture uses MA a lot. The new store in NYC actually has a whole shelve of vintage porcelain pincushions that resemble MA, and I have a key chain from them that has an image of her on it.

Also, there is MA Makeup (or there was). The makeup company Stila came out with a makeup palette when the movie premiered. I do own this, and it is very tasteful...the make up is set up to look like little jewels. The image on the front is more of a modern day intrepretation of MA and very classy looking.

Sat May 23, 2009 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next