Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Affair of the Necklace - Reviews please! 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Affair of the Necklace - Reviews please!
Has anyone seen this film before? I was actually given it as a present, watched it and really hated how it portrayed the whole affair and Antoinette. It portrayed Valois (Hilary Swank) as a hero when she infact was largely responsible for sending the Queen to execution, with her books published in England telling scandalist lies about how her and the Queen were lovers and adulterators, making the French public hate Antoinette even more. Ok, fair enough I felt sorry that Valois when younger had her house and father taken from her (How I am not sure perhaps someone could say?), that was horrible and not her fault, but she was certainly not a good person to write all that about Antoinette when she had ruined her already with the necklace affair. I also felt the film portrayed a 'Antoinette reeped what she sowed' sort of theme, when Valois says to Antoinette in the prison "You have done all this to yourself" that made me feel really sick!! Especially thinking about all the good Antoinette had done, and even if she was in debt, she was among many who were in the royal family- but this did not desere the fate that played out for her. And the film did not stop to think that Valois had in fact ruined people's lives as well through the affair.

Good point was that I really enjoyed watching Joely Richardson playing Marie Antoinette because I think so far she has been one of the most realistic looking Antoinette's around. However, again criticism, I think Antoinette was a lot more kinder. Example of this would be when Valois fainted in front of her in Versailles, I really do not believe Antoinette would just walk past and laugh it off as was portrayed in this film. I mean Antoinette adopted poor children off the streets, as if she would not be worried at someone who fainted in front of her ( even if in this case it was a fake) in Versailles.

As far as I am concerned, this film rates with Sofia Coppola's film, historically wise. However with Coppola, at least she is sympathetic with Antoinette portraying her as kind and unknowing, this film however shows no sympathy whatsoever for Antoinette, but makes her cruel and deserving of what she got. (Totally unacceptable in my thinking!!!)

I really would like others comments on this film too, because I am sure I was not the only one who felt like this at least in some aspects!

Mon May 26, 2008 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Affair of the Necklace - Reviews please!
Yes it represent the Queen quite irresponsible. It is how she was around 1775 but not ten years later. I think, this film a bit incorrect.
Meanwhile I was thinking why this film represented Jeanne so rightful, vengeful and jolie? Maybe it would had commemorated her... I do not know. Eventually, I like this film as I like both of actress (Joley and Hillary).

Mon May 26, 2008 5:12 pm
Royalty
Royalty

This film suffers mainly from the fact that Hilary Swank is not a period actress. She uses an odd pseudo English/American accent through the whole of the film and it becomes quite irritating. I found her performance to be quite melodramatic, but that may simply have been because that was what the script called for. I also found Simon Baker to be rather annoying. On the other hand, I think Joely Richardson did a spot-on performance as Marie Antoinette. I think the characterization was perfect; aloof and naive but no stupid. I agree that she may have seemed a little too mean, but I think it worked for the film. And mind you, this was made before all the hype of the Frasier novel and the "reevaluation" of MA. Jonathan Pryce did a great job as always although his characterization of Rohan was totally wrong. But again, this can be attributed to the script.

I think the reason they made Jean so nice was because they wanted a heroine everyone could feel sorry for and root for, not the type of person Jean actually was. In truth it was really all her and her husbands' fault, but in this Rohan is made to look like the bad guy, and Jean is just trying to "make [her] life as it should have been." However, this, combined with Swank's lackluster performance, does not create for a very good movie. The upsides are that it was partly filmed in Versailles and it has fabulous costumes by Milena Canonero.

I don't think this movie makes MA look cruel or deserving of her hardships at all, I just think it makes her look a little more frosty than she was.

Mon May 26, 2008 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Monsieur Andre wrote:
She uses an odd pseudo English/American accent through the whole of the film and it becomes quite irritating.

Sometimes I feel sorry that I cannot hear these accents because my language is not american English. (I can only recognize african English- have you seen Blood Diamond? I adore that accent!!)

Yes, MA was not cruel in this film, just her caracter wasn't humanized enough.

Last edited by Anouk on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 27, 2008 7:51 am
The film is awful, if you ask me. I like Hilary Swank, that's why I hate to see her in this role. MA was portrayed badly and the whole film is actually about Jeanne not the affair precisely. :roll:

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I thought this film was a travesty. So much so, that when I (unfortunately) purchased it on DVD, I burned my copy after its first viewing. There are so, so many problems with it! The first of which is, that Jeanne was Not some poor, misfortunate noble woman who was robbed of her inheritance by the King's men, as the movie so infuriatingly states. What she actually was, was a professional con-artist, like her husband the fraudulant "Comte." In real life, she started as an orphan who was adopted by a miller's family, and she grew up working in a grain mill. From there she ran away to Paris, where she supported herself, most likely, by prostitution (though there's no record of this), eventually marrying this fraud and conning their way into Versailles. Once there, she pressed her claims that she was a decendent of the Valois family, which turned out to be true (through an illegitimate offspring). She won a small pension from the king, but this was not enough. She continued to press her claims, wanting to be made a duchesse and awarded an estate. She so harrassed the Queen's ladies, seeking an audience, that Louis finally ordered her to be banned from the Queen's presence. At that point, she along with her associates hatched the Necklace scam. And that's the real story of Jeanne de la Motte. BTW, her husband was a younger brother of the real Comte de la Motte, who was a pimp among other things.
As for the treatment of M.A., I thought the film deliberately attempted to portray her as some type of villian, but never quite gave a motive for this. As for the Cardinal de Rohan, another travesty. The man was a womanizer, but he was not pyschotic or a murder, as the movie suggests. And in the Necklace Affair, he was simply an unknowing dupe. The Affair of the Necklace is pure Hollywood tripe, playing on all the old myths and cliches. Trying to turn a thief and a con-artist into a heroine is over the top!
I also thought the costumes were pretty shabby, the hair-styles laughable.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:28 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Bodices are literally ripped twice in this film. It also annoyed me because it tried to make the Necklace Affair responsible for the French Revolution and as if Jeanne were some representative of the French people. There's this scene at the end where Marie Antoinette asks, "What did I ever do to you?" and Jeanne says, "You ignored me," as though that represents the crimes of the monarchy against the people as a whole. Come on, lady, you're just some con-artist social climber trying to get a chateau. Marie Antoinette had seen enough of her type to know better than to pay attention to them. This one just happened to turn out really badly.

I must disagree on the costumes though. In historical costuming circles it is considered an excellent costume movie, very well done... Which doesn't change the fact it's really soppy and melodramatic. Oh well.

Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:04 am
Noble
Noble

Quote:
Jeanne was Not some poor, misfortunate noble woman who was robbed of her inheritance by the King's men, as the movie so infuriatingly states. What she actually was, was a professional con-artist, like her husband the fraudulant "Comte." In real life, she started as an orphan who was adopted by a miller's family, and she grew up working in a grain mill. From there she ran away to Paris, where she supported herself, most likely, by prostitution (though there's no record of this), eventually marrying this fraud and conning their way into Versailles. Once there, she pressed her claims that she was a decendent of the Valois family, which turned out to be true (through an illegitimate offspring)
Quote:

Just to add some information, Jeanne's father was an noble without any fortune and her mother the daughter of a janitor. She was raised by her mother who prostituted herself and forced Jeanne to beg for money and she used to say ( more or less) : Have pity of a little who descends from the Valois. When she grew older, her sister and her were taken in charge by a certain Madame de Boulainvilliers who got the confirmation that she was really a descendant of the Valois which earn them a certain amount of money given by the King. Instead of being grateful, she ran off with her sister and met another woman who toke them under her protection. During that time, she met her future husband. Pregnant, they ran off to get married but the child died soon after. That's when they decided to try their chances in Paris. Jeanne used her husband's name ( Comte de la Mote) to get loans and live quite comfortably. Once in Paris, she was introduced to the Cardinal de Rohan.

I personally find this movie outrageous since it doesn't just mess up some details but it's like if they have reinvented the story! To glorify and a swindler, a hypocrite and a liar, unbearable! Not only she had the guts to write a completely fake biography on how she was a poor little woman used as an scapegoat when she was the one behind the ''affair of the necklace'' the hole time but she dared to claim her innocence at her trial.

As a consolation,she died of an painful dead (there are many theories about how she died, a revenge, an accident etc but one thing is sure she fell from a window and she was horribly injured one her eye had even gotten out of his orbit. She finally died of a gangrene).

Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree with all of the excellent assessments above. It was a wretched movie. I do think Joely made a great Marie-Antoinette if only they had not made her so shallow and mean.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:26 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I think I remember a comment from Monsieur Andre stating that they decided to portray her as the public saw her at that time. And of course she was the "baddie" against the noble but impoverished de la Motte! :cry: :lol:

Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:29 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
I think I remember a comment from Monsieur Andre stating that they decided to portray her as the public saw her at that time. And of course she was the "baddie" against the noble but impoverished de la Motte! :cry: :lol:

Yes, one does not know whether to laugh or cry.
:lol: :cry:

Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:12 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I read somewhere that the de la Motte book had to be edited for court inaccuracies. I saw this movie right after I read The Journey which is the first book I read on MA. I couldn't believe it was even made. With the little knowledge I had about MA and the Necklace Affair, I could see right away that this movie was 100% left off the mark.

Someone here said de la motte was being used to represent the French people, like the whole movie was a metaphor for the French Revolution itself right. I agree but what a touchy subject they used here. Again, old lies are taught to new generations. I just hope that people will look further and not take hollywood's word for anything. As a young American I wish that my generation American's would learn MA's story and that of those who surrounded her (good and bad). The free America that we live in today comes from the poeple of her time and her country (along with others) and I think we can learn so much about the mistakes made in that time and the sacrifice made.

Above all Antoinette was INNOCENT! And she rocks my world 200 + years later. I don't know if the same could be said from anyone about de la motte.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Quote:
I just hope that people will look further and not take hollywood's word for anything. As a young American I wish that my generation American's would learn MA's story and that of those who surrounded her (good and bad). The free America that we live in today comes from the poeple of her time and her country (along with others) and I think we can learn so much about the mistakes made in that time and the sacrifice made.

Above all Antoinette was INNOCENT! And she rocks my world 200 + years later. I don't know if the same could be said from anyone about de la motte.
Quote:

Wow! Well said!

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:34 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I had such hopes for this movie. When I finally found it to rent at Blockbuster, it appeared to me never to have been in our theaters, but went "straight to DVD", which was a disappointment. Forever, I had thought this story too good not to be made into a movie, but I did not like it. It didn't at all fit my mental images nor could I find any effort to make the actors look anything like the portraits of the participants I had seen. Especially, Cardinal de Rohan, who was played by (?) was flying about in a flowing and dramatic red cape (a prelate's attire I suppose) - this personality in real life was a little twit with no hint of morality, and should have been portrayed as a little worm of a man. I didn't like the Louis character or the queen in this movie - they was too old and not at all appealing. The movie did get an Oscar for best costuming as I recall.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]