Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire 
Post Re: Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire
I have just seen the film twice and I loved it. I was stuck on a plane for 12 hours and had read her biography, and so really wanted to see the film.

For modern day women her life appears to have been just terrible, and very sad. A woman who had no power over her life. She probably gambled to cover up her misery.

I am glad the film didn't go into all her gambling and kept to her personal misfortunes and ever day life. I thought Kiera did a wonderful job and was brought to near sobbing out loud both times I saw the film.

I too was fascinated by her links to Marie Antoinette, another tragic figure. The power men had over the wives was agony for women, with the threat of losing their children, used as coercion. Only Elizabeth the First escaped all of that, by not marrying, but her personal life was equally terrible because of it.

We should all be glad that women before us fought so hard to give us freedom. We were slaves even after black men had the vote. Women have been slaves since time began, we did not need to be taken anywhere, we were slaves in our own homes.

Princess Diana, came to mind as I read about Georgiana. Her youth and marriage to a man not unlike the Duke and Camilla as Lady foster, who had a far closer relationship with Prince Charles. What Camilla's life is like now who knows, as Lady Foster had to endure a mistress also after she married the Duke!

Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:37 am
Royalty
Royalty

systole wrote:
What Camilla's life is like now who knows, as Lady Foster had to endure a mistress also after she married the Duke!

I think Charles has found the love of his life, with no fear of another mistress.

I think Bess got what she deserved, what irony! :roll:

Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:13 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

oh you have seen the film already?????

I would love to see the film....but they will show the movie in germany earliest in march 2009...I think on 26th march...

so I have to wait and be patient :blob7:

reine :angel6:

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:52 am
Royalty
Royalty

Oh no that is so sad reine! If I could I would purchase two dvd's and ship one over to you! Except the whole regional DVD problem thing which is a major obstacle.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:00 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
Oh no that is so sad reine! If I could I would purchase two dvd's and ship one over to you! Except the whole regional DVD problem thing which is a major obstacle.

but thanks, for even thinking of it :angel8:

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:43 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I haven't picked up the biography but finaly rented the movie with Keira Knightly today. Am going to watch it tonight, can't wait! Ahh, why aren't I a movie star so I can play wonderful characters like these???

Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:24 am
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

AxelRocksMyWorld wrote:
Ahh, why aren't I a movie star so I can play wonderful characters like these???

:mrgreen: that's what I always think!! I would love to play in a movie and wear this wonderful dresses....attending on a ball! :wink:

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:48 am
So many people knock Kiera's creditability just because she is a huge star. I thought that she was amazing in the movie. The movie overall I thought was really good, yeah they fudged a few things, but I think that all movies alter the timelines a bit. I know that in real life the duke had Georgiana and Bess expecting at the same time. I wish that the movie would have shown her time in France though, when she was visting the queen.

Oh and another thing, in a earlier post, someone on here was downing the Duchess saying all she did was copy French fashions and Marie Antionette. I hate to break this to you but it was actually the other way around. "What the Queen wore to the Revolution" along with other books that I have read state that in France at the time it was all the rage to be as "english" as possible. Some of the french would even speak with a english accents. So the fashions that were popular in France at that time were actually inspired from the english.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:45 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Bamster wrote:

So the fashions that were popular in France at that time were actually inspired from the english.

Well actually there was a bit of both....as always between girlfriends. Look at the Polignac/Vigée Lebrun muslin dresses, that after being adopted by the Queen, crossed the channel. And the English and French high society were on friendly terms. Had to stick together after all...blue blood and all that.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Didn't MA get the whole airy, simple, muslin dress idea from Georgiana?

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:19 am
Royalty
Royalty

Quite the contrary. The Queen sent Georgina a muslin dress from France and once Georgiana wore it, became a fashion craze in England.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:18 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
I think Charles has found the love of his life, with no fear of another mistress.

Me too.

“The growing popularity of simpler, more functional dresses in France at the time was in part due to “Anglomania” a fascination with all things English prevalent in the French culture. The first signs of Anglomania in men’s costume can be found in the final years of the reign of Louis XIV, and then in women’s costumes after 1770. When the English custom of walking in the countryside and enjoying the open air became popular among the French, the robe retroussee dans les poches appeared as a fashionable style for women”

(Fashion, History from the 18th to the 20th Century)

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:29 am
I've seen the movie 4 times (there are 2 versions, BTW, the cut, and the "uncut" raunchier version), but haven't read the book.

If the book indicates that Bess manipulated Georgiana and coveted her position, then the movie failed to portray that. Bess seems to commiserate with Georgiana, and only to be the Duke's mistress because he is in the position to make sure she gets to see her children.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:52 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I ordered a copy of Joseph Mazzinghi's "Three Sonatas for the PianoForte with violin accompanyment" from the British Library dating from 1788, and was delighted upon receipt to find this on the title page: "Composed and, by permission, most humbly dedicated To Her Grace THE Duchess of Devonshire."

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:59 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

isnt the current Duchess of Dev one of the Mitford sisters ?

Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next