Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Let Them Eat: New Independent MA Film 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun May 21, 2006 5:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I had the honor last night of viewing Leslie Cottle's new independent film, "Let Them Eat." Let me first say that with all the mediocre productions that reach the silver screen, it is refreshing to see someone with raw and unvarnished talent create a film of such poignant beauty. Leslie is a gifted actress, poet, screenwriter, and director. (Her poetry is mystical, romantic, contemplative and worth listening to in itself.) The film is visually stunning and has an emotional impact from the first moment, even if one does not totally understand or agree with every single thing in it. (It is a bit avant-garde which I personally like even when someone has to explain the meaning to me.) The film depicts the last moments of Marie-Antoinette in the cell of the Conciergerie. Never before have I seen the dark night of the soul, complete with the final prayers, the final temptations, and the final victory over the devil, which the queen surely experienced, depicted so vividly and movingly in a film. An imaginative but sincere portrayal, Leslie truly becomes Marie-Antoinette, the dignity, desperation, royalty, resignation, and strength is all there. I have often made it clear that I do not believe in the Fersen love affair, due to lack of evidence of a physical affair against the overwhelming evidence that the queen was a constant and practicing Catholic, who would not have chosen adultery as a lifestyle, no matter how much she loved somebody. Nevertheless, I found myself weeping over the final farewell between the thwarted lovers, very tastefully done and extremely heartrending. The film flashes into the present to struggles of a modern woman and makes many insightful statements about embracing the present moment, about marriage and family, and the nature of true love.

A stirring film with magnificent cinematography, I hope that "Let Them Eat" becomes a classic in the creative, independent genre. I applaud Leslie for her courage in branching out on her own to share with the world a truly artistic endeavor which is ultimately a tribute to la reine-martyr.

Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:35 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I got to see "Let Them Eat" today for the first time, and I don't think I've ever wept so hard while smiling. It is indeed a fitting tribute to Antoinette by a woman who understands her well. I'm so grateful to Leslie that Antoinette fans will have this film, made with such love and care; it should be in theaters, rather than the farce Coppola is pushing!

<hugs>

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:42 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I also loved Leslie Cottle's film, full of sympathy and tenderness for queen Marie-Antoinette. I found it so touching, so moving... Marie-Antoinette appearing in front of Bella and telling her so sweet words... And Bella standing before the queen's portrait, as a silent homage to her nobility, courage and sufferings.

Of course, there is this Fersen affaire once again ! But this character actually disappear for leaving room to more important connections, Marie-Antoinette/Bella being protected by Samson, or feeded by madame Beau.

And, most of all, there is this poetry, and Leslie's voice, enchanting us... Indeed, this movie entirely is devoted to Marie-Antoinette, and serving beauty.

Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:53 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I thought it was a beautifully-crafted work of art. Leslie's diction is so exquisite, and her poetry is like listening to music!

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed, Therese. To me, being raised in French culture, hearing this English poetry is a very peculiar impression, and this is highly attractive.

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:15 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

When will the DVD finally be available from Leslie's site?

It seems some of you already own it...

Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:33 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

York, you can email Leslie from her site and ask her how you can get a copy. She would be delighted to hear from you. Tell her you read about it in this site and that "Therese" recommended it.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:12 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Special Announcement!
How wonderful it is to be in contact with people and artists so interested in Marie Antoinette. Leslie wrote to me today to let me know that the DVD of her film, Let Them Eat is now available from her website: http://www.let-them-eat.com/. On the first page you'll notice a banner down the bottom, click on it and you'll add the film to your shopping cart.

Well done on the film Leslie and I look forward to getting myself a copy very soon :)

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:30 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you for this information Adrienne ! :D

Moreover Leslie is really a person sympathetic ! A true impassioned of Marie-Antoinette :D

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, and she can act circles around Kirsten Dunst, too.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Leslie's film is now available on Amazon.com, as well as from her website, mentioned above. "Let Them Eat" is a classic and should be part of every film collection about Marie-Antoinette. Even though I am not a believer in past lives, which is an undercurrent in the film, Leslie's performance as the imprisoned queen is one of the best depictions I have ever seen of M-A. It is a beautifully crafted film and extremely heart-wrenching, a perfect foil to the shallow Coppola movie!!!

Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:12 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

This film looks fantastic, I definitely plan to purchase it. :D

Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:53 am
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: Special Announcement!
Adrienne wrote:
How wonderful it is to be in contact with people and artists so interested in Marie Antoinette. Leslie wrote to me today to let me know that the DVD of her film, Let Them Eat is now available from her website: http://www.let-them-eat.com/. On the first page you'll notice a banner down the bottom, click on it and you'll add the film to your shopping cart.

Well done on the film Leslie and I look forward to getting myself a copy very soon :)

I just got through this thread and after reading all the posts and listening to some of the first poems on the site I really really want a copy of her DVD.

I am just so happy I found this site *MAO* and so many people who do not think I am totally crazy for my affection for the tiny Queen. I feel quite at home with many fellow nuts here!

Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

We fellow nuts are glad you are quite at home with us.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next