Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Favourite historical figures other than Marie Antoinette 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Favourite historical figures other than Marie Antoinette
Mary Stuart
Mousseline la sérieuse
Marguérite de Valois
Jeanne d'Arc
Madame de Montespan
Joséphine de Beauharnais
Eugénie de Montijoù
Elizabeth d'Autriche

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:50 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Only women?

Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:54 am
Royalty
Royalty

For some strange reason I like George III and William Pitt. :)

Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:31 am
Royalty
Royalty

I also like Henri IV too. :D

Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:31 am
Royalty
Royalty

I like Kant, Montesquieu and Socrates :oops: I must admit that I worship philosophy...

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:33 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I also like Kant too. I tried to read one of his books and I couldn't understand it except for one sentence when he said happiness doesn't exist, then I felt rather sad after reading that one line and then I was told there were cookies downstairs and I felt better. :)

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
I tried to read one of his books and I couldn't understand it except for one sentence when he said happiness doesn't exist, then I felt rather sad after reading that one line and then I was told there were cookies downstairs and I felt better. :)

:angel10: Try sometimes with shopping, always helps me! :wink:

I could say I like Nietzsche, from the book I’ve read and philosophy classes. I don’t know what to read first so I always fail in my intentions to read something else from him, even he is on my “must read” list for quite a while. I am interested in Platon too, but again my knowledge is very limited.

Anouk wrote:
I like Kant, Montesquieu and Socrates :oops: I must admit that I worship philosophy...

I like philosophy! I had an interesting conversation with a philosophy student (final year) some time ago, he is a writer too. He writes short novels and erotic short novels so he is familiar with Marquise de Sade! Actually he recommended me to skip 120 Days of Sodom since I am taking a book from Sade for the first time. I like philosophy but philosophers can be strange… :roll: my professor said that I was a natural talent, I hope she was mistaken! :biggrin:

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:23 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I always liked Nietsche's "Parable of the madman", with the man who makes a bit of a fuss in the cathedral, lying full length face down in the aisle and beating his fists on the ground, so much so that they throw him out, to which he retorts: "What are these churches if not the tombs and sepulchres of God?!" The idea of it just tickled me, I don't necessarily share the philosophy.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Maybe I take it next time. There are many quotes I like from The Case of Wagner but I wouldn’t dare to translate them to English…

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:51 pm
Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I :king:

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:16 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Mother and daughter, I understand your choice :)

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sorry, but : Napoleon, Marshall Lannes, Pierre Brossolette and many other resistants.

also : Joan of Arc, Marguerite de Valois (what a woman !), Louis XIII (the best king of France to me) Elisabeth of Austria (ie Sissi, not the one on my avatar, although I do like this one as well)

as well as : Dwight Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan, Konrad Adenauer, Willy Brandt, Valéry Giscard d'Estaing (sorry, he's still alive, but a part of France's History nevertheless) ...

So many others ...

Sun May 17, 2009 10:39 pm
Royalty
Royalty

And who is the lady on your avatar?

Mon May 18, 2009 5:49 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Anouk wrote:
And who is the lady on your avatar?

In spite of her not Habsburg-looking face, this gorgeous lady was the latest Austrian queen before Marie-Antoinette ! Elisabeth of Austria was married to Charles IX, an unhappy marriage, which lasted only four years, and thus witnessed the massacre of Protestants in 1572. She was also extemely devout and died in a convent. Unfortunately, although I am sure she must have been a brillant woman, her life is very little documented.

I am most entralled by portrait, and François Clouet is one of my favourite artists. This portrait is, I think, his best work. A masterpiece : the gaze, the hands, the hairdo everything is flawless and so movingly expressive !

But Elisabeth of Austria herself somewhat foxes me. Besides, as regards to Marie-Antoinette, since she is the latest Austrian queen before Marie-Antoinette as I have mentioned, her lifestory is interesting. Although Marie-Antoinette was dubbed the Austrian queen, she came to France already fluent in French. Brantôme, who praised Elisabeth's benevolence, said that she never uttered anything harsh or bad ... and he added that it was also true that she never deemed useful to learn French, and expressed herself only in German, Spanish or Italian ! But she was meek, pious, withdrawn ... An ideal queen, in a way.
Apart from that, you can notice Elisabeth's magnificent croppery hair, very reminiscent to Marie-Antoinette. Maybe, after all, it was also a Habsburg trademark, although she is devoid of the notorious jaw !

... But I'm growing to passionate ! :drunk:

Last edited by Ludy on Fri May 22, 2009 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 19, 2009 6:20 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Ludy wrote:

I am most entralled by portrait, and François Clouet is one of my favourite artists. This portrait is, I think, he's best work. A masterpiece : the gaze, the hands, the hairdo everything is flawless and so movingly expressive !

Really, her face was nice and very expressive. The painter did a great job- the background emphasizes her features, especially her soft skin.

Ludy wrote:
But she was meek, pious, withdrawn ... An ideal queen, in a way.

Well, I think these attributes do not always good- a good example is Marie Antoinette who was a rebel against etiquette. She had several enemies but some who respected (and some who still respects) her because of this opposition. After all, I do not want to query your words, because I must admit that I do not know much about her life. One thing is sure: considering the events of St. Bartholomew's day massacre (events made Elizabeth a "casus belli") at that time she could make use of her attributes above.

Wed May 20, 2009 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next