Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Costumes and Clothing 
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Costumes and Clothing
Hi.

I love your dresses....BEAUTIFUL!!!!
I am a prof. male seamstress and I love those 18e century costumes...I have made a male costume for myself....I 's difficult because it is nothing like the patterns we juse normaly today..
I have lot of books with the constuction of those costumes...

Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:28 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thats so cool =D

Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:37 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I've contacted a woman who could maybe make me a reproduction of the 18th century gown or at least a wig or stays. What interests me is the price of making it in my country since it was way too expensive to order it in France. You can buy a simple and rather basic costume for around 300 euros abroad http://williamsburgrose.com/wrose/colonialfashions.html . To buy something as perfect as this you need 3000 - http://www.rossetti.vispa.com/c18-17.html Now I am wondering whether someone in my country could make me a good and accurate reproduction (without shoes and undergarment) for around 300 euros or less as prices of material etc. should be much much less. At least I hope I could order a wig (the style of this bellow) and slowly piece by piece complete my own 18th century costume. It would be a dream come true. I see on forums and blogs that women manage to make these costumes or at least this wig by themselves but unfortunately I am not skillful with any of that. I am also attaching photos of how my ideal dress should look like.

Attachments:
18th_Century_Wig___Hat_1_by_AlAlNe.jpg
18th_Century_Wig___Hat_1_by_AlAlNe.jpg [ 423.06 KiB | Viewed 2191 times ]
front.jpg
front.jpg [ 75.79 KiB | Viewed 2191 times ]
Robe %27à la française%27  en brocart de soie bleue%2C années 1760 pendant le règne de George III..jpg
Robe %27à la française%27 en brocart de soie bleue%2C années 1760 pendant le règne de George III..jpg [ 63.65 KiB | Viewed 2191 times ]

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This would be a rather "cheap" solution but I dislike the colour and it looks too much like a costume. Maybe with another fabric... http://www.rossetti.vispa.com/c18-0.html

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think it is the typical late 18th century "robe à l'anglaise".

I wonder if the first site you saw isn't the site of a contributor from canada to the French forum...who makes dresses. On that forum there is also Majesté who is a dressmaker and could maybe do sth for you cheaply...he lives in Lille. Problem is the fitting séances you would need to attend, which is why you'd be advised to try someone in Serbia after all. But you can get lots of advice from Majesté by PM.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I also found a dressmaker right next to the vet station my boyfriend works in and very close to my house. She was confident that she could make anything as she also works in Italy but she obviously didn't know what a historically correct 18th century dress really is. I will show her tomorrow my book of costumes, some ideas and some internet prints. It won't be easy to translate all the names of materials, that is one of the problems for me. How to explain to her of what material the stays should be, how to make them similar to the ones from the 18th century? Also I have to decide about which fashion trend to choose. I think the best for me is something that represents the fashion of 1760's, 70's (ok, maybe even 80's) but I am sure that I don't like the simplicity of the 1790's. I know I want it to have a gentle, feminine pattern... We'll see... there are good chances that I will just get disappointed, with her abilities or the price...

Last edited by Marija Vera on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is not for me that important to have the exact material but that it visually looks like something that might have been worn in the 18th century also that it follows some basic rules.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:19 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ok, these two robe à l’anglaise perfectly represent what I want.

Attachments:
Robe à l’anglaise 1780's.jpg
Robe à l’anglaise 1780's.jpg [ 38.3 KiB | Viewed 2175 times ]
24_xl_AC03837.jpg
24_xl_AC03837.jpg [ 175.83 KiB | Viewed 2175 times ]

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4