Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Paintings 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Paintings
I was wondering if the paintings that now hang in Versailles are the original ones?
Like here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lifes__too_short__to__drink__cheap__wine/3203222824/sizes/o/
Or have the real ones been put away for "safe keeping".

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Paintings
I'm sure they're all original. Where else could we find such beautiful portraits? Versailles represents paintings of pristine rulers, princes and comtes... I don't think they're copies.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:52 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Ya, I know that Versailles is a museum itself. I just remember a LONG time ago going to a museum of something (I don't remember what for), but I do remembered the guide
telling us the paintings we saw and the furniture and all we're reproductions and they kept the real items in a special room for persevering them. Seemed silly to me, but if one person did it, ya never know after that. And my chances of visiting Versailles are slim. Thus the reason for my question.
Thanks for answering! :)

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:04 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

I consulted two different "visitor's guide" books (not pamphlets) that I bought when I visited Versailles. Alot of the paintings and other art objects are listed and commented on - they are real.
I live ouside Detroit, and we have the "Auto Baron" homes which can be visited - and even though most of the things are original to the homes, some of the artwork is reproduction as the originals were donated to museums. The families made the Detroit Institute of Arts heir to some of the stuff.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:10 am
Royalty
Royalty

When were these homes bulit, exactly? Are they from the 18th century, too? What kind of artworks are exhibited there? Thanks for infos in advance.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:32 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Hi Anouk! My computer has been down! Anyhow, the homes I am speaking of were built in the Detroit area in the early part of the 1900's. Exactly, the home of Henry Ford ("Fairlane") is in Dearborn, his son Edsel Ford built his home in Grosse Pointe, one of the Dodge estates was built in Oakland County- I think Rochester ("Meadowbrook Hall") and the other, the finest of all these homes was demolished (horror!) in the 1970's, it was called "Rose Terrace" and was a French chateau in the style of Louis XV. The owners took trips to Europe - buying up tons of antiques and artworks to furnish these homes - each of these houses are really museums too. You can probably check them our online - try a Google of Auto Baron homes in Detroit area.
Also worth looking at while you're at it, is the Vanderbuilt properties in the US. "Biltmore" estate is the largest home built in the US- about 1895- also there are the estates in Newport that are pretty fabulous too.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]