Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Jokes against Etiquette? 
Noble
Noble

Post Jokes against Etiquette?
I've read in many books and articles that MA, Louis and their friends had good senses of humor, and they served childish tricks against each other. Examples:
- when there were many people in the Gardens, Louis ordered to switch on the fountaines;
- once when the royal family had a supper, the queen pegged pieces of bread at his husband;
- she jested Louis's orderliness and set the clock to show the time one hour later, to see if his husband went to bed earlier;
- Louis (maybe as a revenge?) closed the gates of Versailles while MA and Artois went out in the evening, so they spent a night outside...

I don't know what to think. Are these stories true or simply funny anecdotes? Could they be possible despite the well-known inhuman etiquette of Versailles?

"Ennek a szirmai hófehérek voltak rózsaszín heggyel, a belső pilise sötétzöld, narancssárga kehellyel. A virágkedvelők emlékeznek rá, hogy ennek valaha a kertészeti katalógusban Marie-Antoinette neve volt."
/Jókai Mór/

Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:26 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Jokes against Etiquette?
hhhm thats intresting i have never heard of that!
I dont think it would be impossible they probably knew how to have fun!
what book was this from?

Fri May 01, 2009 12:32 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I READ THE BOOK IT WAS FROM,BUT SADLY I DONT REMEMBER THE NAME :(

Sat May 02, 2009 1:35 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

COMTESS DE PROVENCE wrote:
I READ THE BOOK IT WAS FROM,BUT SADLY I DONT REMEMBER THE NAME :(

aww what a shame if you ever remember do tell!
:alien:

Sat May 02, 2009 2:31 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

yes,i shall dear friend :angel3:

Sat May 02, 2009 2:37 pm
Noble
Noble

marieantoine wrote:
what book was this from?

Louis's habit with the fountaines is mentioned in Simon Schama's 'Citizens'. The one with the pieces of bread is in an article about a nobleman, who was a guest in Versailles... but I can't remember who was it and who wrote the article. The clock story? Among others, Catharina Habsburg-Lothringen writes about it in her MA-biography, but she says MA made mock of Louis... I can't imagine it, I think it was just a simple and innocent joke. Likewise, in many article writes that Louis closed the gates because he hated his wife's nightlife and he wanted to take her to task for coming home late. But it could be a great revenge for the clock story, couldn't it? :angel4:

"Ennek a szirmai hófehérek voltak rózsaszín heggyel, a belső pilise sötétzöld, narancssárga kehellyel. A virágkedvelők emlékeznek rá, hogy ennek valaha a kertészeti katalógusban Marie-Antoinette neve volt."
/Jókai Mór/

Sun May 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Sophie A. Caron wrote:
marieantoine wrote:
what book was this from?

Louis's habit with the fountaines is mentioned in Simon Schama's 'Citizens'. The one with the pieces of bread is in an article about a nobleman, who was a guest in Versailles... but I can't remember who was it and who wrote the article. The clock story? Among others, Catharina Habsburg-Lothringen writes about it in her MA-biography, but she says MA made mock of Louis... I can't imagine it, I think it was just a simple and innocent joke. Likewise, in many article writes that Louis closed the gates because he hated his wife's nightlife and he wanted to take her to task for coming home late. But it could be a great revenge for the clock story, couldn't it? :angel4:

haha least we know that they didnt always lead such a stressful life :lol:

Mon May 04, 2009 3:46 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I have read of these same events also. It was said that the King was a bit of a "buzz kill" among the young, smart set, so I entirely believe the queen, especially encouraged by Artois, would have pulled these stunts.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:45 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I also read about those episodes. I like hearing about them, because I think they show how close MA and Louis were, so that they could also share funny jokes like a normal family!

Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]