Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 versailles during the revolution 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post versailles during the revolution
After the royal family was imprisoned what hapened to versailles was it just left there unguarded so peasents could destroy it or was it guarded? And by who the kings guards or revolutionary soldiers?
I have always wondered this and many books I have read doesn't really talk about it much
any info would be greatly appreciated!! :duck:

Fri May 01, 2009 9:26 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: versailles during the revolution
Tony Spawforth wrote a book called "Versailles - A Biography of a Palace" (2008). He says the Royal Buildings Office "kept Versailles in readiness for a brightening of the political skies." and also - that in 1791 ten commissioners were sent to Versailles to report on the state of the palace and they found that in the State rooms, the furnishings had been removed but the mirrors, tapestries and paintings were still in place. Apparently there was still some furniture in other rooms. He claims that the republic sold off parts of the Royal domain, and when money was needed for war with Austria in 1793, they had a series of sales which they sold and auctioned off "the great bulk of the contents of the palace".

Sat May 02, 2009 12:18 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Lilly wrote:
Tony Spawforth wrote a book called "Versailles - A Biography of a Palace" (2008). He says the Royal Buildings Office "kept Versailles in readiness for a brightening of the political skies." and also - that in 1791 ten commissioners were sent to Versailles to report on the state of the palace and they found that in the State rooms, the furnishings had been removed but the mirrors, tapestries and paintings were still in place. Apparently there was still some furniture in other rooms. He claims that the republic sold off parts of the Royal domain, and when money was needed for war with Austria in 1793, they had a series of sales which they sold and auctioned off "the great bulk of the contents of the palace".

thank you for the info i will have to check that book out :)
as for the palace furnishings being sold off what a shame :(

Last edited by marieantoine on Sat May 02, 2009 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 02, 2009 1:24 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

i agree with marieantoine

Sat May 02, 2009 1:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]