Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Wax Figurines 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Wax Figurines
oF course Dr Curtius had his heads and figures of the famous
people of the day, politicians, royalty, famous writers like Voltaire
these were part of the show for the general public.
But the good Doctor also had a sideline in erotic wax figurines that he
would sell privately to his richer, more discerning clients.

No doubt the Prince de Conti was among those clients
( it was the Prince de Conti of course who invited the Doctor to come
to Paris ) Maybe the Duc de Orleans was another?
The Duc de Orleans was a great Anglophile and one of the richest men
in France. Marie Tussaud did nt like him however as, during a convivial dinner party he would often become drunk and abusive.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:54 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I don't think I like these wax figurines of the Royal Family.......dare I say they look a bit tacky? They certainly don't do them justice.

silverstar wrote:
The Duc de Orleans was a great Anglophile and one of the richest men
in France. Marie Tussaud did nt like him however as, during a convivial dinner party he would often become drunk and abusive.

I don't think the British liked the Duc de Orleans for long!! Didn't the then Prince of Wales remove his portrait from their "Men's Club" in England after the execution of Louis XVI, as Orleans voted in favour of sending Louis to the scaffold?

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Last edited by Princess2 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:08 pm
Royalty
Royalty

silverstar wrote:
in France. Marie Tussaud did not like him however as, during a convivial dinner party he would often become drunk and abusive.

Always the Duc d' Orleans, such charm! *Note the sarcasm*

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
silverstar wrote:
in France. Marie Tussaud did not like him however as, during a convivial dinner party he would often become drunk and abusive.

Always the Duc d' Orleans, such charm! *Note the sarcasm*

How could you ever think otherwise???
No offence Comte

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:16 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Wax Figurines--very different
Oh dear--there's a shocking discrepancy between the wax death mask listed by Louis Charles in this thread and the one listed in the book The Romance of Madame Tussaud by her grandson which is also on this thread. The first is obviously wax and looks somewhat like we would expect the Queen to appear. However, and to me this is shocking, the second head from the grandson's book is so realistic. As, I might add, are the other heads in the book attributed to Madame Tussaud herself.

To me the first face looks like pretty much everybody else I've ever seen in the contemporary Tussauds.The head of Marie Antoinette in the google book insert had so much more pathos. I felt very sad. I believe it is she. :cry:

Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:26 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Interesting!! I wonder if the Tussauds in Washington, DC has a Marie Antoinette figure. Does anyone know.

Incidentally, there is a new museum in DC called the Museum of Crime and Punishment and they have an actual quilloitine from the 18th century, but they do not claim that it is the one used on MA. Although, they do have a quote of MA next to it. I have pictures of it!

Sun May 24, 2009 11:35 am
Royalty
Royalty

Please, post them if you have time :)

Mon May 25, 2009 10:02 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Here are the photos I took at the museum of the guillotine

Attachments:
Quillotine.jpg
Quillotine.jpg [ 72.12 KiB | Viewed 5527 times ]
Marie Quillitone.jpg
Marie Quillitone.jpg [ 52.39 KiB | Viewed 5527 times ]
Guillotine.jpg
Guillotine.jpg [ 48.45 KiB | Viewed 5527 times ]
Tue May 26, 2009 1:44 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Merci, Marcel.

Wed May 27, 2009 12:29 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thinking of wax and wax museums Robert Ripley comes to mind
was nt he a showman in New York or somewhere ?
maybe he commissioned wax efigies ?
Toussauds in London have taken it to an art form
some of the figures are really brilliant and works of art in
themselves.
Of course for pop stars and famous media figures it must
be the height of flattery to have their likeness made and exhibited
in the famous museum....

They should do a TV documentary about
Mme Toussaud, Dr Curtois ..and the eventful times in which they lived then follow the history down to the present time.

It must have been a huge money earner at the time of the French
Rev and I bet its still a huge money earner today
Image.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes Silverstar and at first I suppose it was a huge novelty as well...I am thinking of the beautiful wax cast of Madame Dubarry...with the Machinery that makes her appear to breath... did Dr. Curtis do that?...also there did exist and they burned in the 1980's...life masks of Marie Antoinette, and Madame Royal as they sat on a settee, Louis Charles standing, and I believe..... Chou De Amour. I saw these life masks in London in the late 1970's.......I had read some where about this "bizarre" and dusty dinner scene,,,but have spent years trying to find a picture of it........It was remarkable in beauty as Dubarry..and in the smallness of the stature of the figures..but there was the true face and clothes and hair type of all of them...Have you heard of them?...once, I came upon an online auction selling a picture called the petit Dinner of Marie Antoinette...but it was sold and could no longer be viewed....I had always thought that was probably the image I was looking for. There are several reasons why there are not alot of images of this work...It was sealed in glass making any film picture glary...as the room was dark and they were lit...making a flash neccesary...I just wish I could see it again....... :(

Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:11 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Why is it there is something so macabre about wax figures ?
I'm thinking of that movie with Vincent Price... I think it starts with
him showing someone round his museum and of course... Marie Antoinette figures
prominently among the exhibits.

But then these wax museums... including the Robert Ripley museum as I remember
....tend to like to show macabre scenes of torture and execution ...
such bloodthirsty, ghoulish exhibits bring in the crowds !

Ive got that Vincent Price movie on my hard drive, Ill have to watch it and do some caps at the same time......(wot a ham Vincent Price was !!!
but a great voice and a great actor too.)

Thinking of the macabre, let's not forget that Dr Curtois.. living in Switzerland as a young man was a practicing medical doctor...
He took up wax modeling to make body parts... like the heart... the liver... etc to show to his patients and demonstrate the workings of the human body.

He found that he enjoyed modeling in wax and soon became more ambitious, modeling heads, busts and figures.
His skilful work and his models soon began to attract attention.....
He was invited to bring his work to Paris and he moved there in 1765.

In that same year he made a wax portrait of Jeane du Barry ... the King's
mistress.
Dr Curtois very first exhibition was in 1770 and attracted a lot of interest
among the Parisians.
The Doctor's success in his new profession was assured... he was soon established in Paris...in the heart of the most exciting and beautiful city in all of Europe.

He was also in a position to witness and chronicle those world shattering events
that were soon... like a dark cloud.... to engulf that carefree, Parisian society.
Those world shattering events that were to so cruelly devastate and destroy the lives of the French Royal Family.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:06 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I've read extensively and have never read that Marie Antoinette's head was ever placed on anything but instead thrown onto the ground between her legs at the gravesite. No Pikes--no Parades. That horrible triumph was reserved for Madame de Lamballe while the Queen was in the Tower. The woman who became Madame Tussaud was ordered by the Convention to use her skills in making death masks of certain individuals. She did report doing this in situ for obvious reasons (burial being one) and under the protection of the revollutionary leaders.

NOTE: I've seen in another book (can't recall at this time) a photo of a complete infant modeled in wax by the Madame--it was completed at the orders of the Queen and is reported to be a likeness of the never-to-rule Louis XVII. This was a chubby handsome baby--maybe its on the internet.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:05 pm
Wow! that are great Wax Figurines and London is very popular regarding to the Wax Figurines of different queens, celebrities and many more things. The Wax Figurines in Madame Tussaud is very beautiful and looks so real. There are number of high quality of wax figures which are so beautiful and takes a great process to create it.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6