Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 An assignment on Marie Antoinette 
Noble
Noble

Post An assignment on Marie Antoinette
Ok so at the end of this college year i assingned myself to do EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) for next year's history. Basically i will be able to chose to do an essay writing on whatever i want for which i will have one year to prepare this will include an essay writing of 5000 words i think and a presentation. I have decided that i want to write about Marie Antoinette but am not sure on what aspect of her life i sould write about. I cant just write a biography on her, i have to come up with a very narrow question which i then could argue and use sourse evidence to back up. Could someone help me with this and give me some suggestions on what kind of question i should propose? I want to start my reserch early but im just stuck with the qustion.

Thanks

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:03 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: An assignment on Marie Antoinette
One thing that came to mind for me when I saw your post was to maybe form a question around something like - to what degree was Marie Antoinette's spending in actuality as opposed to what she was accused of spending. You could focus maybe on her wardrobe and jewels (just to narrow the topic)/possibly using Madame de Pompadour as someone who spent more.................and things like examples of how MA was conscious of the poor and did give lots to charities. Hope this may help! Good luck!

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:47 pm
Noble
Noble

That sounds good i wanted to do a question that would argue against that common view where Marie Antoinette's spending habits are put as one of the primary couses of revolution, many people actually think that... and Madame de Pompadour would be a good contrast, Madame du Barry probably spent a lot as well so i will do some reserch on them. That famous daimond necklace that furtherly ruined Marie Antoinette's reputation was actually first intended to be bought for or by Madame du Barry i think. Also since i dont know about Madame de Pompadour too much are there any examples of her spending a huge amount of money on something?

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, a chateau or two:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ky8qAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA461&dq=%22Mme+de+Pompadour%22+depenses

Otherwise, you can browse these other search results:
http://books.google.com/books?q=%22Mme+de+Pompadour%22+depenses&btnG=Search+Books

I think her general level of expense was so high that it gets hard to pick out one thing.

All this may have shocked people less partially because Louis was still "the well-beloved" at this time, partially because financial pressures hadn't become as obvious all around (not to mention what might have been a manipulated bread shortage before the Revolution) and partially because new ideas (not to mention the American Revolution) hadn't yet made it thinkable to question the king or his actions. And of course with all her enemies, no one could accuse Pompadour of being a foreigner or spread rumors that her native country might pose a threat to the French.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:29 pm
Royalty
Royalty

And- however, this is not really for the original subject, but maybe you'll like the idea- you may write about royal family deserters' allocation at the time of the revolution, for contrast. I am sure your essay would be well appreciated if you flash backgound coherences in point of the royal deserters (I mean especially the king's brothers).

Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:15 pm
Noble
Noble

Jimcheval you gave me some great ideas i forgot about the chateau's owned my Madame de Pomadour i read a book on her once some years ago but i must reread it as i dont remember much about her exept for small details like her visit to the fortune teller early in her life.

and yes i think it would be useful to include the royal family deserters, it would highlight the sad state the royal family were in betayed, abandoned by many who were their now their enemies and their loyal friends imprisoned or killed. :(

Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:38 pm
thesis: the many anti-antoinette 'libelles', published in the years leading up to the revolution, were a major cause of the unrest that caused the revolution.

(i've stayed with 2 french families during my 2 visits to france, and they still believe that she was a terrible woman: those libelles were, and still are, very effective.)

i thought they'd guillotine me when i expressed my love for her: "je t'aime marie," i declaimed.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]