Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 thoughts on jefferson in paris? 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post thoughts on jefferson in paris?
I was wondering what members think of the Merchant-Ivory film "Jefferson in Paris"?

Myself, I thought it was interesting, but could have been better. Marie Antoinette was not depicted in a particularly favorable light, but then, the film reflects Jefferson's own opinion of her. I must say I still find that "puppet show" depicting MA highly distasteful!

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:51 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: thoughts on jefferson in paris?
Indeed! I agree with you. I think it is not the best film on the 1780'S, but an enjoyable screen with good shot, nice furniture and lovely costume.
Marie Antoinette's role is not quite sure in the film... However, I like the puppet-scene, because it represents the large hatred against her... it makes her innocent in the eyes of the viewers!

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:51 am
Noble
Noble

Post Re: thoughts on jefferson in paris?
It's a quite good film, but I didn't like the actor Michael Lonsdale in the role of Louis. He was too old - as I read in IMDb, he was more than 60 while they were making the film. Okay, in the 18th century young people looked older, but that's a bit overdrawn for me. (Like the guy who plays Robespierre in "L'anglaise et le duc"! It was ridiculous, he absolutely looked like an old and tired man...)

But Charlotte de Turckheim was nice as Marie-Antoinette, and the others were really good too, I liked Sally very much... :roll:

"Ennek a szirmai hófehérek voltak rózsaszín heggyel, a belső pilise sötétzöld, narancssárga kehellyel. A virágkedvelők emlékeznek rá, hogy ennek valaha a kertészeti katalógusban Marie-Antoinette neve volt."
/Jókai Mór/

Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]