Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What Did Louis XVI Call MA? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: What Did Louis XVI Call MA?
I agree with Anouk, I think they might have called each other Madame and Monsieur, Sire seeming too solemn since Artois and Provence had been allowed to call the King "Monsieur", as far as I know. Antoinette sounds very coloquial to me, besides they must have called each other "vous"...

Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:17 am
Royalty
Royalty

Ludy wrote:
Antoinette sounds very coloquial to me, besides they must have called each other "vous"...

That's the point, I think. "Vous" is a polite salutation, but so familiar at the same time.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

"Vous" sounds very formal. But if it was common in those days, it may have been suitable with "Antoinette". It's hard to think indeed that they were not more familiar to each other, however, I believe that other royal couples called each other "Madame" and "Monsieur". But it is true that Marie-Antoinette and Louis achieved a greater degree of intimacy and that their daily life verged on the "bourgeois" type of family life to a certain extent.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2