Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Let Them Eat Cake 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Let Them Eat Cake
Oh yes that i knew. I just didnt like that image of her...but it was fantasy so i get it now.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I also didn't like it :)
But I think it was to show how people came to imagine her. Actually, reality was even worse :( Any kind of awful thing was said of her...

Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I cant believe people got away with the things they said and did! Where else could you wag a pike under your queens face with out punishment? Its horrible...

Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes where else indeed! :wink: But those are Royalist sentiments which unfortunately are not shared in this republic. It is indeed considered subversive to be a royalist here. It is not something one shouts about...

Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

how sad

Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:24 pm
Noble
Noble

I get the same disgusted feeling every time I hear that phrase mostly because it seems to be the only thing some know of her. Sad how falsehoods seem to outlast truths.

Have also read Antonia Fraser's book which further clarified what I knew about Marie Antoinette and her true love for the french people, personally I would never believe she would say something so dismissive.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This quote had indeed nothing to do with MA. It stems from Rousseau, in his Confessions, 6th part. I fail to remember the exact sentences and especially the context, it is something like : "And suddenly I recalled the "pis-aller" ("makeshift solution) of a great princess, who said "Let them eat sweet bread". I decided to buy some". Rousseau is there referring to a thought he had at the very moment he's talking about, in this part, he was in his early thirties. Needless to say, well before MA was born. Who is this great princess ? I think it would be too early for Madame Victoire (who was not a "great" princess" besides)... Then, Marie-Thèrèse of Spain ? Maybe. But I don't know where it is reported that she said this sentence about eating the "croûte". Maybe it is but a mere lengend...

Anyway, considering that the Confessions are so renowned, I really wonder how it can still nowadays be said that MA really made such a statement.

Sun May 17, 2009 10:31 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

yes, I to have heard that it was Marie-Thèrèse of Spain who said this very horrible thing...

Tue May 19, 2009 2:44 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

And now for a really off the wall atribution (from 1922): this version says POMPADOUR said it:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5 ... f15.langEN
(middle of rightmost column)
Ironically she probably did say: "After us, the flood", for which Louis XV is usually credited.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:09 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I was naively convinced that it is quite well known today, at least in some circles, that this was just a rumor without any evidence, which still spread some less informed tourists guides.

I bought some popular historical magazine (at least with a purpose to be) recently, that comes in 100 numbers and covers as many important historical figures or “people who changed the world”. I think it is originally from Greece, translated and published in my country. The one I bought to cut the boring hours at my summer job was about Napoleon. At first I was very disappointed with the style, as if it was written for children from 5 – 8 (which wasn’t the purpose). Marie Antoinette was mentioned as a woman who wasn’t as guilty as thought for ruining the French finances but then I stumbled upon one other passage with this famous sentence which she again said after she got the news of French people starving. But that wasn’t all, beside several other mistakes about various things, she had countless affairs and Louis XVI too!! Now, I don’t think anyone could buy that!

The problem with this, which made me so mad, is that people usually buy this kind of literature to have an easy insight in history, without going deeper into it, and take most of these information for granted. People without much interest in Marie Antoinette would easily believe all these rumors and here is how the story spreads.
I don’t know whether I should write to them or not but it makes me glad for Coppola and her movie which at least showed this sentence as false to general public.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:24 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

It is horrible that it has been attributed to Marie Antoinette, and of course its a ugly rumor.

I think some people use it today, as a way to show frivilousness, and doesn't have much to do with MA. Juicy Couture and LUSH for instance use this phrase in thier ads, and products, but it's more about the feel of the product, this level of frivilousness, extravagance, etc. You see?

Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Would you believe there's a whole academic paper (in French) on this:

Marie-Antoinette et son célèbre dire
[url]http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/ahrf_0003-4436_2002_num_327_1_2564?luceneQuery=(%2B(fullContent%3Aboulangerie^900.0+fullTitle%3Aboulangerie^940.0+content%3Aboulangerie+title%3Aboulangerie^2.0+summary%3Aboulangerie+authors%3Aboulangerie^5.0+illustrations%3Aboulangerie^4.0+bibrefs%3Aboulangerie^4.0+toctitles%3Aboulangerie^4.0+toctitles1%3Aboulangerie^3.0+toctitles2%3Aboulangerie^2.0+toctitles3%3Aboulangerie)+%2B(fullContent%3Abaguette^900.0+fullTitle%3Abaguette^940.0+content%3Abaguette+title%3Abaguette^2.0+summary%3Abaguette+authors%3Abaguette^5.0+illustrations%3Abaguette^4.0+bibrefs%3Abaguette^4.0+toctitles%3Abaguette^4.0+toctitles1%3Abaguette^3.0+toctitles2%3Abaguette^2.0+toctitles3%3Abaguette))+AND+(+%2Baccess_right%3A(free)+)&words=boulangerie&words=900&words=940&words=baguette&words=free[/url]

http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/pr ... oulangerie^900.0+fullTitle%3Aboulangerie^940.0+content%3Aboulangerie+title%3Aboulangerie^2.0+summary%3Aboulangerie+authors%3Aboulangerie^5.0+illustrations%3Aboulangerie^4.0+bibrefs%3Aboulangerie^4.0+toctitles%3Aboulangerie^4.0+toctitles1%3Aboulangerie^3.0+toctitles2%3Aboulangerie^2.0+toctitles3%3Aboulangerie)+%2B(fullContent%3Abaguette^900.0+fullTitle%3Abaguette^940.0+content%3Abaguette+title%3Abaguette^2.0+summary%3Abaguette+authors%3Abaguette^5.0+illustrations%3Abaguette^4.0+bibrefs%3Abaguette^4.0+toctitles%3Abaguette^4.0+toctitles1%3Abaguette^3.0+toctitles2%3Abaguette^2.0+toctitles3%3Abaguette))+AND+(+%2Baccess_right%3A(free)+)&words=boulangerie&words=900&words=940&words=baguette&words=free

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I was once against appalled to notice how hard this sentence stings to Marie-Atoinette, in spite of all the evidence produced proving that she never stated it.

Today I bought a Russian magazine - I am currently pursuing my studies in Moscow- entitled `100 people that changed the course of History`, it was dedicated to our queen. Although the magazine was quite well documented, the sentence was written on the very first page. I felt both shocked an concerned, for the magazine seems to target an audience that is not especially informed about Marie-Antoinette and will thus take the information given as read - I have not read yet how the Fersen affair was dealt with ...

I am contemplating wrtiting to the redaction to get this mistake fixed. I would although be an occasion to practice my writing style in Russian...

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:04 pm
Noble
Noble

I dont think she said that at all, she loved the people of france.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:03 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

How you are all so awesome at replies!! Sorry I've been gone for so long, I just started High School so you know how that goes :lol:

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next