Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Madame de Guemenee 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Madame de Guemenee
EM Vidal posted this the other day about Madame de Guemenee, governess of the royal children:
http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2009/08/madame-de-guemenee.html
We don't hear much about her so I'm glad there's a post on her alone.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:08 pm
Post Re: Madame de Guemenee
Hi,

I love the quote about Guemenee in the book about Marie Antoinette, I've just finished reading. Mercy in a letter to Marie Antoinette's mother about Guemenee says "there's a lot I could say about her" and Macleod, the translator of the letters adds, "but unfortunately he does not" - I thought that was quite funny. The letters do tell you about Guemenee however, how her husband was one of the first aristocrats to be made bankrupt before the French revolution because, of his wild partying. There's lots of info about Guemenee in the letters. She loved to party and loved to manipulate Marie Antoinette. Her house was a gambling den according to Marie Antoinette's brother, and that's why Marie Antoinette was a frequent visitor. They had lots of fun!

I'm waiting for someone to get back to me about this new book of translations of Marie Antoinette's letters. I love it. See if you do. It's on Amazon and is by Macleod 'There were three of us in the relationship, the secret letters of Marie Antoinette'

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]