Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Need to identify this photo 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Need to identify this photo
Help is needed to identify what this photo is of.Is it a frame or on a peice of MarieAntoinettes furniture. Hope you can help. I need to find a better quality photo.

Attachments:
Copy of 234592095_c3006dd86f_m.jpg
Copy of 234592095_c3006dd86f_m.jpg [ 8.71 KiB | Viewed 4218 times ]

Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Need to identify this photo
Do you have any context for the image at all? Even where you found it?

You might do best to find a furniture or antiquities forum and post it there. I'm guessing there are experts on period furniture who will place it at a glance.

If you do find an answer, please share.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This was posted in the topic “Furniture of the queen” (Architecture & Design) and I immediately remembered your question seeing the top of the chair. I think this is it, unless the same decoration repeats on more items, I don’t see any difference but in colour (above) which comes from the quality of the image.

Lovely arm-chair (part of a suite):

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/ffurn/hob_41.205.2.htm

Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:09 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, it is a lovely arm chair.......I would love to see the original embroidered upholstery done By Marie Antoinette herself! Hopefully it is saved somewhere!!! Oh yes...Happy Birthday Marija!!!!!!!!! :angel8: :wave: :angel8: ..... (it is funny how large the ornamentation looks in Michaelangela's picture as it is such an extreme detail)

Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:13 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Wow, Marija has become 20! I'll join you, soon :D Happy birthday!!!!----

The Egyptian decoration makes the armchair so special. In fact, the fashion of this "neo-egyptian style" commenced with Bonaparte's egyptian campaign (some rococo furnitures have the same decoration, although), around 1798 and it was a determining element of the Empire. If you found some nice furnitures like this, don't hesitate to post!
I found the collector, Ann Payne Blumenthal's name in a 2007 summary on the same site:

http://www.metmuseum.org/press_room/ful ... 362EE06%7D

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:12 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you, both, it’s very nice of you. :angel3:

Elle wrote:
it is funny how large the ornamentation looks in Michaelangela's picture as it is such an extreme detail

Yes! I couldn’t believe it was the same until I compared every single detail in the enlarged picture.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ha.....when I hit your link Marija, I first thought what? Where is the ornamentation? I think the smallness of it and it's fine elaboration are so beautifully classy in this set.....and from your link Anouk........How much I would love to see this exibit....They have taken great pains to make it seem as if you have stepped back in time..with the correct glass in the doors...the "candle" light.....Some of the Members who live near near New York.....should certainly enjoy it as it seems to be a permanent exhibit...... I wish I could have seen the Dangerous Liaisons: Fashion and Furniture in the 18th Century, exhibit as well as this one! Exhibits like these travel....but they never seem to travel here (Texas) :angel11:

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:10 am
Royalty
Royalty

I would like to visit these furnitures too! Three years ago I was lucky enough to visit one of the collections of the Metropolitan Museum in Martingny, Switzerland. It was a selection on impressionist art. I loved it and I just hope that other Metropolitan exhibitions will be seen in Europe soon :)

Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:55 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I can only say congratulations Marija on your brilliant visual memory. I must have physically seen these chairs in the Met and I didn't remember! Because I saw everything linked with the Queen that day and there's quite a lot! Like in the Wallace Collection in London. The MA emblem is particularly visible I find on its' white background which you don't find on many of the Riesener works for example where its' more discreet. Ah to think of that Château de Saint Cloud that she liked so much, now just terraces and gardens left, and so atmospheric still...

Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I thank you all so much,I have been off the board for about 8 months to deal with a death .I am having a carving made and they needed a quality picture,I had no memory of where it was from at all.You are all just great!

Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I wish you strength and fortitude in dealing with your grief....time heals all wounds...but never completely its' true, but it dulls the pain.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:14 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am so sorry to hear that michaelangela. Your question was a good riddle for all of us.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:43 am
Google has just launched a picture search engine, which will let us search any image on the internet, we can search it by inserting a image, and it will provide more information on it.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Are you sure this is active? If so, could you post a link to it?

I believe they bought a company that does this, but I don't believe it's available on-line yet (and it may just be for mobile).

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:40 am
This photo was “Furniture of the queen” (Architecture & Design) and I immediately remembered your question seeing the top of the chair. I think this is it.

Fri May 21, 2010 11:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]