Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Welcome to Marie Antoinette Online 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Welcome to Marie Antoinette Online
welcome Annie :)

Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:46 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Bonjour! I'm Leslie from NYC, passionate about Marie Antoinette and thrilled to have found such a like-minded online community. I admit that I had a lot of preconceptions (and misconceptions) about Marie Antoinette until I began to research her life for a nonfiction book I was writing. The more I read about her life, the more I sympathized with her. I absolutely fell in love with her -- so much so that I decided to write a novel about her early years.

I can't seem to get enough of her and look forward to reading and participating in the discussions about her!

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:36 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome to the forum, Leslie! Are you most interested in the young Dauphine's life?

Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome to the forum! So you wrote a novel about her childhood or her days as a Dauphine and young Queen?

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:23 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome Leslie :)

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:35 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Noble
Noble

Hello Everyone: I look forward to reading all the post and I am glad to be apart of this group.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:23 am
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome to the forum Princess Gina!

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:27 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome, Gina! I wish you a pleasant talking here!

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:19 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome! :D

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:24 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Hello, and thanks for the community built on the immortal Queen of France. The suitability of selecting this personality out of the stunning number of fascinating geniuses and characters from the Age of Enlightenment is appreciated as a magnet for all who find something incredible to study from that time. The wonderful thing about the Age of Enlightenment is that it is still a work in progress, and, I believe, always will be if humanity is to progress. During the so-called "Long 18th Century" (1650-1830), we can easily be enchanted by the music, paintings, sculpture, architecture, theatre, etc. into believing that the air must have smelled sweet and politesse reigned everywhere, but that fantasy is quickly dispelled when one realizes that turmoil, horror, deprivation, injustice, intolerance, and radicalism was the reality. It is a sad fact that France under Louis
XVI was a police state. We are living heirs to that reality, and no wonder we wish to escape into the pastoral bubble of the hameau and mock-shepherd world with Marie-Antoinette and her small circle of friends to sing airs with harp accompaniment and doze away to the drone of the musette. / I am happy to doze right along with you.

Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Chèrecoeur wrote:

It is a sad fact that France under Louis
XVI was a police state

What an extraordinary statement and, as usual with so much facile writing here, no justification or supporting material....so its' a fact is it. Who's fact? Your fact...?

Most monarchs had their secret police, that's for sure, a good job too for Louis XVI with the likes of his brother and cousin around, but they couldn't touch the delation and organized control by terror of the Comité de Surété. And Napoléon of course just let everyone do whatever they wanted....

Quelle entrée en matière!

Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:44 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hi cherecoeur, welcome to the forum!

Being inspired by the 18th century doesnt have to mean being inspired by the fantasy, that art was the reality, those beautiful dresses, rules of etiquette and polite behaviour, Marie Antoinette and her surrounding. It is a big inspiration for all of us who feel separated from the simplicism and banalism that characterises so many spheres of the modern life. Just comparing the music that was popular then and now, the way of presenting yourself, skills that were awarded, ideals, one can see how the society had some major downfalls despite the huge improvement in all other fields (medicine, politics, technology,...) , where the age of enlightenment was also a huge part of that progress and transition (the name says enough...).

"the painter, the true painter, will be the one who knows how to see the epic side of our present-day life, who... lets us see and understand how great we are, and how poetic in our cravats and polished boots" Charles Baudelaire, 1845

This doesn't seem conected at all, but this quote, even about art, always reminds me of the 18th century, because of that greatness and the epic side which I can't separate from the period which tended to be so divine in almost every aspect of life.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:29 pm
Hello from Berlin to all Marie Antoinette admirers! :biggrin:

I'm into rococo fashion and Marie Antoinette for many years now. I'm also interested in all kinds of period pics and history in general. I visited this forum now and then and finally decided to join. :wink:

Greetings, à bientôt!

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:28 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome Monpti. It's always nice when someone who has visited us before but not joined decides to come and introduce themselves. :)

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:17 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Herzlich Willkommen hier bei uns! :)

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next