Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 MA's spirit 
Post MA's spirit
I just finished reading the book by Antonia Frasier, and as I got to the part where it says 2 resepcted British ladies that were lost in the gardens of Versailles in 1901 saw an "image" of a pretty, blond woman dressed in an old fashioned dress. The spirit of MA?

For those of you who have been at Versailles, Tulieries or any significantly historical place that was enriched in history of the monarchy, have you felt anything? Please share your experiences:)

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:09 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: MA's spirit
I have often walked all alone in the gardens of Trianon on a summer or autumn evening and I have only once felt something like her presence, when I was at the Grotto late one evening, and it was a sad presence. I have shared so much of what the Queen must have seen, having been at Trianon many times, and thrice in her private appartments, and even on the stage of her little theatre, but rarely have I felt much spiritual presence. In fact the overriding feeling for me at Versailles, a place which I love, is a certain melancholy emanating from those rooms, as with any suddenly abandoned house or palace, especially in such violent circumstances. It should have that yellow crime scene tape all round it...

Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:10 pm
Oh boy have I felt something....Versailles...2008....I planned a trip completely around MA. I hired a private MA historian to take me all over Paris and Versailles that had anything to do with MA. Every day was remarkable in that my historian was able to make accommodations for me that had been impossible before with other clients of hers. In fact months prior to going my historian friend told me she was unable to get a private tour of MA's apartments however, the day before our trip to Versailles my friend received an email from Versailles with a special accommodation for us. As we toured MA's private apartments behind her bedroom, just us 4 along with a security guard and Versailles tour guide, I lagged behind the group in one of the small corridors that links the rooms of her intimate apartments to see if I could really feel her presence. It was at that moment I looked down and discovered lying against the wooden floor and the wall a small pin. Like a pin that held together ribbons. Before anyone could see I reached down, grabbed it and calmly walked over to my historian friend. A few days before she had mentioned that people at Versailles still find pins lying in the cracks of the floor in areas that aren't viewed by the public very much. Her eyes became like saucers as she told me to put it in my pocket quick! Could it be a pin that held MA's adornments to her grand costumes or just a pin of the 21st century? Don't know...but I was asking MA to speak to me...Weird right? This past March as I toured the private apartments of the Petit Trianon and walked the gardens of the Hamlet I asked her to speak to me; however she fell silent this time. She'll speak again....just need to give her time.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:50 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Wow what an amazing story im years away from my trip there. I hope somwthing like that happens to me. How exciting to think u may have something that belonged to my beloved queen. That is my dream to have something that belonged to her even if it is just a glove or sock i would cerntily be happy with one of her pins i would love to plan a trip centered around marie antoinette how very lucky you re to have found it.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have held a number of objects in my hand that belonged to the Queen (or were reported to have..)....there are quite a few oopportunties to purchase these items at auctions but the prices always go through the roof. I once bid USD 3.000 for a ring containing on the front of the ring a tiny braid of her hair and that of Louis XVI, but it went for 18.000! Not even close!!

I was closer for a miniature sketch of the Queen by Kucharski that Louis XVI had in the Temple prison by his bed, but missed out on that too.

Last edited by baron de batz on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:57 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Really? That to is an awesome story. I imagine living in europe u have a better chance of hearing about auctions better then i do living in the middle of the desert in Arizona. Maybe next time u hear of a auction u can give me the info of how i can place a bid. Good luck to u next time u place a bid.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

There are foreign bidders by telephone and you can bid on Internet. I'll let you know next time...but you'll need to break the bank!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:34 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Yes i can imagine i will have to fork out some serious cash. But i will not stop trying even i old age. It will be a goal of mine for the rest of my life. Thanks i would like that next time there is a auction. I guess it wont hurt to try and place a bid. You never know. Is there a lot of her belongings in private collections? I assumed it was all sitting in musems. Just to think u can have some item she wore :lol: it gives me the butterflies inside lol

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:34 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I've only been to Versailles once: I spent a whole day there one spring - although it felt more like summer, it was so hot. Because of the great weather there were many people there, families and tourists mingling in the gardens. In the sober light of day the place had such a happy vibe. But as the sun started to go down and almost everyone had left, I definitely felt that same melancholy that the Baron spoke of. This beautiful place had been meant for a different time and a different place and its people were long gone and not coming back. Although I love history and Versailles a great deal, for a moment it felt wrong to me that this place should still exist when in a way it's heart had gone (and under such tragic circumstances). I didn't have any ghostly experiences, but looking at the palace from the gardens and the terrace those black windows suddenly seemed kinda spooky lol. Like a ghostly figure could suddenly appear lol. I wouldn't want to be stuck in the building alone after dark ;)

The story of the two women who had some kind of haunted experience at Versailles really intrigued me too. I recently bought the book they wrote: it has a lot of detail about what happened to them (allegedly), but in the end I didn't find it that interesting :|

On a different note: I really want to go on those private tours lol

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]