Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture. 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.
I would love to see those brooches paired with one of your lovely masks, as well as a beautiful fan of yours Marija.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:42 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you so much! Actually, I was lucky enough to get some new nice items related to M.A. and the 18th century… I just love them. :wink:

Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:44 pm
Noble
Noble

The ship headpiece that the MA doll is wearing is fabulous. Though I agree with previous statements that the dress and face are not as pretty as I imagine the real MA to have been.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree, I don't think any new interpretation could do her justice.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:46 pm
I think you all are far too sensitive.

I would be honored if people thought I was so fashionable that they were still inspired by me years later. It shows that people believe she had good taste and her style helps people feel beautiful.

I like how when I look up Marie Antoinette fashion stuffs I find things that are cute, fun, and flattering. How is that an insult?

As for the costumes - I think they're cute. Why does short = slutty? I think that's sad that a girl can't wear something short and cute without people thinking it's slutty. I hate being sexualized but I think those costumes would be fun to wear. I think they are very flattering on the body. But in a fun, cute way not a I'm-easy-to-get-in-bed kind of way.

What's wrong with being sexy anyway? People can be sexy without being sleazy. I don't think those costumes are sleazy - just fun.

Regarding the public's opinion of her - Anytime I hear about MA there is always someone who has to shove it down our throats that she wasn't that bad and didn't say that cake thing. Always. Whenever she comes up in any conversation people are always sympathizing with her. I really don't think you all give people enough credit.

(Sure, they won't know her history as well as you all but they at least understand that she's not as bad as she was portrayed)

Pretty much everyone I have met knows she didn't say that cake comment. But artists/fashion people may still use cake stuff as something cute. (Like a charm bracelet with a slice of cake or something). But people know she didn't say it.

And just because someone thinks she's a fashion icon doesn't mean they also think she's an air headed twit. People I've come across who think she's fashionable also tend to respect her and know that she just got unlucky and was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think it's more insulting that you lot think she's so weak that she wouldn't be able to handle today's image of her. That she's so fragile - like a piece of glass - she would be insulted and hurt that people are inspired by her and add their own twists to things.

And keep in mind that inspire doesn't mean copy. Of course items inspired by her and her time aren't going to be accurate - they're not replicas. People just take one idea and built their own idea around it.

She is very influential if even today - many years later - people are still talking about her and copying parts of her.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:31 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think the problem is that she was misunderstood for such a long time and her image today is still biased by some comnmonplaces.
I think this is what can make us annoyed -not so much the fact that she is seen as sexy, or that some clothes inspired by her can be seen as "slutty". I agree about short skirts not having anything wrong (I wear them often myself), but I think this is not the point.
You say many people today fell the urge to defend her. But I can also assure you that many people are still prejudiced against her. At least, this is what I've experienced in my country. Most times, when I say I'm so intrested in Marie Antoinette, people are surprised at first, and then ask me why. Then, as I explain what fascinates me about her, they asked me "so, wasn't she a air head as I learned? So isn't the cake sentence true? So isn't it true that she didn't care about the people?etc..." It takes always a while to wipe out those prejudices and convince them that what they know is not the historical truth.
So this why it can sometimes be very annoying to see that sentence attached to her (even in a playful way-but still it's something she would never had said, and that
doesn't portray her personality at all), or to realize her name is most times related to an idea of decadence (that she didn't quite represent; her being a trend setter is a very different thing), while important aspects of her remain in the shadow.
Unluckily, when a person comes under heavy fire like her, her image remains biased for long (even for centuries!) it takes a long times in oder for the general reputation of her to reach a balance...I think in the last years there have been important steps on this way, but still it will require some more time.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tokio wrote:
I would be honored if people thought I was so fashionable that they were still inspired by me years later.

There is certainly nothing bad in Marie Antoinette's sense of fashion that inspires people today. But I do find it bad if that is the only thing as Marie Antoinette had many qualities even not as superficial. Not many people are aware of Marie Antoinette's artistic talents, that she used to compose music and write her own lyrics, that she was also patronizing arts, that she had a very charitable nature, but that can't be so commercial. Marie Antoinette is seen as a fashion icon, hardly anything but that, and her name often sells "stuff" that I personally find so tacky, without any grace and spirit of her own personal taste. So maybe she wouldn't find it as flattering. Of course there are also items with Marie Antoinette that I personaly find ok, replicas of her dishes, portraits, agenda's with her image etc, I always buy something of that sort from a museum shop of Versailles. So maybe it is a matter of taste but I would wonder what her taste would be?

Tokio wrote:
Regarding the public's opinion of her - Anytime I hear about MA there is always someone who has to shove it down our throats that she wasn't that bad and didn't say that cake thing. Always. Whenever she comes up in any conversation people are always sympathizing with her. I really don't think you all give people enough credit.

(Sure, they won't know her history as well as you all but they at least understand that she's not as bad as she was portrayed)

Pretty much everyone I have met knows she didn't say that cake comment. But artists/fashion people may still use cake stuff as something cute. (Like a charm bracelet with a slice of cake or something). But people know she didn't say it.

Lucky you to live in such an enlightened enviroment! I read about her saying it in a history magazine, by a tour guide, people who I meet speak of her as an ignorant, corrupted queen who maybe even got what she deserved! Usually people who didnt read have some superficial interest and actually cant defend her in a conversation as they dont know about the revolution, Marie Antoinette's character, problems she had... And defending her is not always as easy as all that, as one must understand even her faults. So around me was a bit different, and now in France I also don't think people much changed in regard towards her.

Tokio wrote:
I think it's more insulting that you lot think she's so weak that she wouldn't be able to handle today's image of her. That she's so fragile - like a piece of glass - she would be insulted and hurt that people are inspired by her and add their own twists to things.

It is not about "handling" it, she handled much more than that so i agree it would be an insult to consider her weak. Would she be flattered? Personaly I am not so sure. She would be glad that people slowly change their opinions about her but would she be happy knowing what an icon she became? Basically it is only a building up after pamphlets, she portrayed as a slut, while in the real life quite different, inspires slutty - cute costumes (some are fun but wondering what she would think of them as being connected to her name...), she was one time a gay icon (because of her tender relations with her friends), a sentence she never said and is so out of her character, became a motto, even her death amusing...

Tokio wrote:
People just take one idea and built their own idea around it.

I find the 18th century so inspiring, Marie Antoinette as well, but still believe there should be some limit when you connect a certain person who existed to a product you want to sell. For example I loved one fashion show with the hair styles of M.A. as an inspiration, I didnt find anything awful in that. Still, unfortunately, in the case of Marie Antoinette, it is much easier to sell her name for who she wasn't than to use her real character and acts as an inspiration. Wouldn't sell that well... But as Rosalie said those important aspects stay in the shadow, and many of us find a deeper inspiration exactly in that.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:28 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well personally I think that some of the girls here would look good in one of those Marie Antoinette outfits! :lol:

Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:34 pm
Royalty
Royalty

baron de batz wrote:
Well personally I think that some of the girls here would look good in one of those Marie Antoinette outfits! :lol:

Baron! :lol: :angel12:

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Haha!!!

Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:29 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:roll: :lol:

Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:angel10: :mrgreen: :angel10:

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:57 pm
Royalty
Royalty

baron de batz wrote:

Like ME! Not really....

This sounds strange but I think it is 18th century dress is flattering for all races:

http://www.history.org/Foundation/journ ... nshow.html

:)

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:22 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Nice! I especially like the first dress, the one worn by the old woman.
I don't know whether I would look good, bur for sure I wish I could wear an e :) ighteen century dress!

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:45 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Personally I think anyone would look good in fitted 18th century clothes. :)

Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next