Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 madame du barry 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post madame du barry
did she think she was queen?what did she do to be so hated?how does her story start?

Sat May 02, 2009 2:54 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: madame du barry
her clothes are most ,too much

Sat May 02, 2009 5:15 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I think it was the fact that there was a rhumor about her being a prositiute, that made people in the court dislike her.
She was believed to have been popular to one of the counts, who in turn, married her. Then, i'm not sure if this is true or not, but i think he died very soon after getting married which cast suspicions on Du Barry killing him. She then proceeded to 'interest' he king after the queen had died, and therefore became his favourite.

Mind you I'm not too sure on how accurate this information is but this is what i have gathered to understand.

But all in all, she was mocked for being a prositiute.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:30 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Not very accurate I'm afraid.

She wasn't rumored to be a prostitute. She HAD been one. And she only got a title because the king married her off to an impoverished lord to get her one.

If she was unpopular with the people it would simply have been because of all the money being spent on her. But the aristocracts particularly didn't like her because, unlike all the royal mistresses in the past, she was born a commoner. A very cheap sort of commoner. Not to mention the prostitute part (some great ladies may have ACTED like prostitutes, but they weren't, quite.)

There's a story that the aging king, quite delighted by his new playmate, told one of his aristocratic pals that he had never known certain pleasures were possible. The man dryly replied "That is because your majesty has never been to a whorehouse."

Pretty much sums up how the better sort thought of her.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:51 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Joan Haslip has just brought out a book on her called "Wages of beauty". I haven't read it yet but I have ordered it, and have read a French biography on her. And I have been to visit her home in Louveciennes where she was arrested, now owned by an English couple!

Why don't you read this biography? It might help you to get your facts right.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:20 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Stanley Loomis also wrote a good bio of Madame DuBarry. I also suspect some of the hatred of Madame DuBarry was due to the fact that she was reportedly a very beautiful woman - and let's face it, women will hate another woman just for this reason. Madame DuBarry was also said to be a very kind person - not lashing back at people who did wrong to her - even when she could have.

Joan Haslip's bio of Marie Antoinette drove me crazy - she continually asserts that there WAS an affair between MA and Fersen. She cannot know.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Lilly wrote:

Joan Haslip's bio of Marie Antoinette drove me crazy - she continually asserts that there WAS an affair between MA and Fersen. She cannot know.

Sounds ominous I must say....still its' ordered now. I'll report back.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The Wikipedia article is pretty good and matches much of what I've read elsewhere, even if someone gets a tad carried away with the exclamation points at one point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_du_Barry

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

People say she was beautiful, but i find the picture of her nothing special. Pretty, yes, but not anything to be jealous. And aren't paintings meant to cast the subject in an even better light?
I bet most women were jealous because of the power she got despite being born into the veeeery low class, and wanted her position, and probably felt they deserved it more than her.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Autres temps, autres moeurs....

I don't find most of the great beauties of that time very beautiful. But we should bear in mind that not only do standards change with time and place, there's also a question of class and what reflects flatteringly on the man with the woman... well, these days, on his arm.

The fact is that numerous people of the time commented on how stunningly beautiful she was, even when Marie-Antoinette's brother came to visit (and made a point of seeing her, the rogue), and she was no longer in her first flower. So it seems pretty certain that by the standards of the time she was something.

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:02 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

jimcheval wrote:
Autres temps, autres moeurs....

I don't find most of the great beauties of that time very beautiful. But we should bear in mind that not only do standards change with time and place, there's also a question of class and what reflects flatteringly on the man with the woman... well, these days, on his arm.

The fact is that numerous people of the time commented on how stunningly beautiful she was, even when Marie-Antoinette's brother came to visit (and made a point of seeing her, the rogue), and she was no longer in her first flower. So it seems pretty certain that by the standards of the time she was something.

Good point..

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]