Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 If Louis had married someone else? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: If Louis had married someone else?
Well you said it! :lol:

Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ludy wrote:
IAt 20 you were a grown up in the XVIII century,.

No, you were not.

The legal majority at the time was 25. The fact that you could be married at 12 didn't make you an adult.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:54 am
Noble
Noble

I can't say in all honesty that the revolution wouldn't still have happened. Funding the American war, which just about crippled France, had no bearing on his spouse. And taking 7 years to bear Louis a child, not to mention it not being an heir, also could easily have taken place all the same without dear Antoinette

I understand there exists a society of historians that dedicate their lifework to the hypothetical. Researching and speculating how exclusions of key historical figures such as Hitler, Elizabeth I and especially M.A would have dramatically changed and altered history and society. Furthermore how introducing such celebrities in later times would've changed various outcomes.

Of course more advance knowledge is required to even begin such speculation. As is evident here in our lack of a definite answer :wink:

Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:01 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Duc de Normandie wrote:
I can't say in all honesty that the revolution wouldn't still have happened. Funding the American war, which just about crippled France, had no bearing on his spouse. And taking 7 years to bear Louis a child, not to mention it not being an heir, also could easily have taken place all the same without dear Antoinette

I agree, these events would have happened otherwise. The revolution rooted on the century's theory change, bourgeois rise and above all economical problems that emptied into a radical and thorough social change. There were significant people in the midst of these occurrences, like Marie Antoinette, who did not generate, only unleash the events of 1789. But events remains the same. But don't we forget the Necklace Affair in which she played an important part... it explain us how history change by one episode. It is weird!

If Louis got an other wife? That queen would have produced another problems which would have provoked the same social changes as in the 1790's.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I agree! if Louis had married someone else, the libellistes would have probably just had another victim instead of Marie Antoinette. :|

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:03 pm
Royalty
Royalty

That's explains our view, Marie Antoinette "supporters". Because what she did in life was not ostentatious or bad specially. It was history that made her role defeasible.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:12 pm
Rosalie wrote:
Yes, I agree! if Louis had married someone else, the libellistes would have probably just had another victim instead of Marie Antoinette. :|

yes! i've thought about it.. but what if the other woman did what people wanted? like if she "obeyed" them.
antoinette had a strong personality and wouldn't change her ideals
i'm not saying she was a bad queen etc :/ sorry if seems like, i just thought about someone with less personality reigning!

Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:39 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Like another Marie Leszczyńska? I suppose she would've been less of a threat, and would not act the role of the maitresse en titre, the fount of favour and political (or perceived) influence.

I know that the Choiseulistes were pushing for the marriage of alliance to Austria, but does anyone know what the other factions were doing in their negotiations for a bride for Louis Auguste?

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4