Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Was Marie Antoinette Terminally Ill? 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Was Marie Antoinette Terminally Ill?
I have always been disturbed about Marie Antoinette's rapid decline in physical symptoms and appearace especially after her transfer to the Conciergerie. Needless to say she had put up with unbelievable stress, turmoil and worry ever since the march of the third estate to Versailles; this had to be a frightening and traumatizing time for her.

But after her incarceration in the Concergerie, she began bleeding abnormally and excessively; she became haggard looking (she looked twice her age according to observers). Her hair became thin and white and she had virtually no appetite. Many of these are the symptoms of uterine cancer.

I pray it isn't so, but I feel that symptoms point to a physical cause of her rapid decline. She had displayed such strength, bravery and dignity for so long, her rapid deterioration seems in contrast to the queenly demeanor she mantained through very trying times.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:21 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Was Marie Antoinette Terminally Ill?
I don't think that there is a way to know for sure if there was any sort of terminal illness, but I have also thought that uterine cancer was a real possibility based on the hemmorrhaging and other symptoms she experienced near the end of her life. As you said the stress she was under had to be incredible - I am a person who believes that stress can and does reek havoc on the human body (not to mention the mind).

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:52 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Was Marie Antoinette Terminally Ill?
RE a serious illness I believe she would not have lived much longer with the combination of hemorrhaging which as you point out is a sign of female trouble and what must have been very low spirits at the end. I too believe in a mind-body connection and think her pride and sense of self had carried her as far as she could go having lost all her immediate loved ones.

So incredibly sad and humiliating her last few hours with Rosalie: On her way to the tumbrel her bowels gave way and the :angel6: Queen had to squat in a corner of the courtyard. No one shielded her from the presence of the guards. One wants to cry.

winsan2; Susan

Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]