Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 The Ultimate Betrayal 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post The Ultimate Betrayal
Louis August, Duc de Berry, then when he became Louis XVI, was fascinated with locks and clock repair. Hour after hour he spent in his workroom high in the rafters of the palace with his long-time servant Gamain. Francois Gamain and Louis were more like friends; they had been together for 20 years, the village locksmith teaching the awkward and clumsy young prince his trade. When Louis was with Gamain he didn’t have to worry about the stifling and embarrassing court ceremonies and dances that he so detested, and he didn’t have to deal with the duBarry woman who always made him feel inferior Tragically it was Gamain who betrayed Louis to the Revolutionary Tribunal. Louis’ life and those of his family were getting more difficult and the King needed a secure place to conceal private documents, correspondence from other European crowned heads concerning the Bourbon dilemma and personal items that would be disastrous if in the hands of the revolutionaries. Louis sent for Gamain and asked that he make a chest of iron that could be easily concealed and difficult to open for anyone not knowing the secret of the lock..Gamain was not to be trusted; he now supported the revolution, and went immediately to the Revolutionary Tribunal with Louis’ request. The Queen found out about Gamain’s treachery and warned the King. Louis was distraught at the actions of his beloved friend and agreed with Antoinette that the most important documents be removed from the chest right way; these were given to Mme. de Campan. When the King’s trial began , Gamain went to Roland, Minister of the Interior, and told all he knew about the chest and its intended use. Gamain was then summoned to Paris by the Convention to give evidence of his claim. Gamain showed them the chest and the steps needed to open it.

I wonder how Gamain felt on the morning the blade fell on his former master, friend and student. I wonder if the loyalty to the revolution he professed met or exceeded the loyalty of the innocent young prince he so carelessly helped to destroy.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:41 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: The Ultimate Betrayal
Poor Louis XVI! I suspect this was just one of many betrayals the King had to face - I imagine it must have broke his heart every time. Some things about human nature do not change - what scoundrels there were and still are!

Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mme Dubarry herself of course was famously betrayed by her "African" page, Zamor - who was actually Bengali (rather rare as far as I know in the European history of slavery and probably worthy of note in itself):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamor

Rich people, probably even today, have a little too much tendency to trust the smiles of those who depend on them. All this reminds me of Bob Dylan's lines:

Quote:
You never turned around
To see the frowns
On the jugglers and the clowns
While they all did tricks for you

But then there's the ultimate - if unwilling - betrayal of Charles-Henri Sanson, who supposedly loved the king, but could hardly refuse to carry out the Convention's sentence:

Quote:
It is known that after the loathsome Januray 21, 1793, every evening of his life he knelt before the blade of the guillotine that had decapitated Louis XVI - a blade that was never used again - and prayed for the soul of the departed KIng.

Babara Levy, Legacy of Death, 118

Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:44 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

What a fascinating bit of information about Sanson. I had never heard that before. I wonder if it was he who held up Louis' head for the crowd. I also didn't know that the blade was never used again. Thanks for the great info.

Rich

Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:30 pm
Royalty
Royalty

All of those stories are so sad.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:34 pm
Noble
Noble

I hadn't heard that story either,very sad indeed. I can't even imagine what it must have felt like to be betrayed on such a level as they were.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:36 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

With all being said....

I truly wish someone more likely a screenwriter or producer, would stumble upon this web forum, learn all the details we've all shared and gather enough information to make a movie about the French Revolution as we see it. That would be the best way for people to get to know Louis XVI, Antoinette, and all other Royals better and not the frivolous, mindless and careless courtiers as other movies and books depicted them to be.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:48 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

How sad! I don't want to Imagine how he would have felt! It would have been horrible!
Sillage de la Reine wrote:
With all being said....

I truly wish someone more likely a screenwriter or producer, would stumble upon this web forum, learn all the details we've all shared and gather enough information to make a movie about the French Revolution as we see it. That would be the best way for people to get to know Louis XVI, Antoinette, and all other Royals better and not the frivolous, mindless and careless courtiers as other movies and books depicted them to be.

(Sorry, off topic)
Maybe you should speak to Duchesse de Film. She's making a film taking place before and during the Revolution.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:46 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
Sillage de la Reine wrote:
....learn all the details we've all shared and gather enough information to make a movie about the French Revolution as we see it. That would be the best way for people to get to know Louis XVI, Antoinette, and all other Royals better and not the frivolous, mindless and careless courtiers as other movies and books depicted them to be.

I think even on this forum, that we do not all agree on the French Revolution. The general public and historians both seem to be infatuated with the themes of poor vs. rich and freedom vs. tyranny that the French Revolution evokes. It has long been a source of irritation to me; with a little study of the Revolution and the Ancien Regime, and when put into context of that era, these highly romanticized themes are exaggerated and over-simplified. The Revolution, its causes and motives, were not nearly so black-and-white.

Quote:
Jimcheval wrote:
Rich people, probably even today, have a little too much tendency to trust the smiles of those who depend on them.

Quite true, Jim. It's easy for the Master to dismiss his authority over his servants, and come to think of them as friends. But the servant never forgets his Master's advantages, or his own lack thereof, and so he smiles as he schemes....

Another betrayal, I read somewhere that one of the Queen's orphans, whom she raised, grew up to betray her in the Revolution, but I don't remember the name of the child or the circumstances.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:07 am
Royalty
Royalty

Madame DuBarry had a servant, his name was Zamore - she raised him from a child and he did betray her during the revolution. Could this be what you were remembering?

Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:59 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Christophe wrote:
It's easy for the Master to dismiss his authority over his servants, and come to think of them as friends. But the servant never forgets his Master's advantages, or his own lack thereof, and so he smiles

...."there was another quirk in my character which has remained with me throughout my life: an unconquerable horror of insincerity and false professions of sentiment. I knew instinctively that the Queen would make a show of emotional pity and I knew also that she had not missed my mother for longer than a day. My whole heart rebelled at the thought of being obliged, in my own interest, to help her play this part......"

Memoirs - Madame de la Tour du Pin (page 64)

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Christophe wrote:
Another betrayal, I read somewhere that one of the Queen's orphans, whom she raised, grew up to betray her in the Revolution, but I don't remember the name of the child or the circumstances.

That is true, Christophe, it was the oldest orphan, Armand, who joined the Revolution. He felt abandoned when the Queen had her own children. Madame Vidal has a post about it:
http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... ldren.html

And Lily is right, too, about Zamore. Madame du Barry was his godmother and provided for him.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:01 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Lilly wrote:
Madame DuBarry had a servant, his name was Zamore - she raised him from a child and he did betray her during the revolution. Could this be what you were remembering?

This is a real ultimate betrayal!
Zamore was a Bengalese page given to Madame DuBarry by King Louis XV. Madame DuBarry loved Zamore and showered him with gifts, dressing him extravagantly and stuffing him with chocolates. The King created him "Governor of the Chateau and Pavillion of Louveciennes" Zamore would later say that he had been with Madame DuBarry since he was 11. I have also seen Zamore referred to as a "Blackamoor". Everything I have ever read says he was treated very well - be he had to have built up some resentment of Madame DuBarry over time because he allowed himself to be bought off by her main tormentor, Greive. Zamore told her household secrets and helped Greive dig up hidden treasure Madame DuBarry had buried. He also listened in on and reported conversations she had with guests. It took Madame DuBarry a while to catch on that Zamore was betraying her, but as soon as she realized what was going on, she dismissed him. He immediately became one of her most dangerous enemies. Zamore testified against her at her trial claiming that since the Revolution, her home was constantly visited by aristocrats openly rejoicing over any setbacks the army received, saying that he scolded her on her wicked conduct - saying he did not believe that her diamonds had been stolen and that she dismissed him because he was a patriot. It is thought that Zamore was probably at the scaffold when Madame DuBarry was beheaded, but whether she saw him or not, who knows. Imagine how she must have felt, knowing she had raised Zamore, she had lavished him with gifts, loved him, and all he did in return was help get her killed.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes Armand became a fervent revolutionary and critic of the Queen who had raised him. So typical of all those who turned against her. MA is a barometer of human nature, especially the nature of those in this country I find. In her story you find so much of what is crass and base in mankind, and then also the extreme courage of the few, like certain members of the Résistance from 1940 to 1944 fighting against the tide that swept most people with it. People like Toulon, Fersen, De Rougeville, Batz, Jarjayes all showed such courage.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:57 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Such a sad thing to discover that someone who you trusted and loved was capable of working behind your back and betraying you. I just have zero of pity for such people. One must "reword" them with eternal despise.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]